Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,006,023 times

Advertisements

Ghose who have had Equitable Gas for heating have always wanted People's instead due to lower fuel costs. Will Peoples continue the gouge or will we get lucky?

Peoples Natural Gas buys Equitable Gas | www.wpxi.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Ghose who have had Equitable Gas for heating have always wanted People's instead due to lower fuel costs. Will Peoples continue the gouge or will we get lucky?

Peoples Natural Gas buys Equitable Gas | www.wpxi.com
I always preferred Equitable for customer service. Peoples doesn't even do online billing. Perhaps through this merger, Peoples will acquire that service.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,010,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I always preferred Equitable for customer service. Peoples doesn't even do online billing. Perhaps through this merger, Peoples will acquire that service.
They do now, have for at least six months or so, but it's something like $3.99 per bill. Stamps are cheaper.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,868 times
In real cities utilities have web sites, and have had them since the mid-1990s. You can even pay your school district property taxes on line. I had to re-learn how to write a check to pay Peoples Gas and the Wilkinsburg-Penn Joint Water Authority when I moved to Pittsburgh. It's only about 20 years behind the times...

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
They do now, have for at least six months or so, but it's something like $3.99 per bill. Stamps are cheaper.
You can pay online, but cannot receive your bill online (I think).

Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,675,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
In real cities utilities have web sites, and have had them since the mid-1990s. You can even pay your school district property taxes on line. I had to re-learn how to write a check to pay Peoples Gas and the Wilkinsburg-Penn Joint Water Authority when I moved to Pittsburgh. It's only about 20 years behind the times...
I don't know why most of the utilities want to charge you to pay online or don't have web sites, although when you're talking a small water authority I kind of understand. But I've never had trouble paying them with online bill pay from the bank. Been doing that for years, always found it much easier to pay everything in one place. If the util can't accept an electronic payment (such as my water and sewer authorities out here, and small local trash collection company) the bank mails them a check. Always has been credited correctly.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,361,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I don't know why most of the utilities want to charge you to pay online or don't have web sites, although when you're talking a small water authority I kind of understand. But I've never had trouble paying them with online bill pay from the bank. Been doing that for years, always found it much easier to pay everything in one place. If the util can't accept an electronic payment (such as my water and sewer authorities out here, and small local trash collection company) the bank mails them a check. Always has been credited correctly.

Frankly, the easier they make it for me to make the payment, the more likely I am to remember to give them money.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Unfortunately this method makes auto payment impossible unless the bill is exactly the same every month. All of my bills are auto-pay except for my rent. I've been considering having my bank send my landlord a rent check every month so even that is auto pay. Automatic is the way to go!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,675,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Unfortunately this method makes auto payment impossible unless the bill is exactly the same every month. All of my bills are auto-pay except for my rent. I've been considering having my bank send my landlord a rent check every month so even that is auto pay. Automatic is the way to go!!!
Oh I see. Well, partly. I see if you want automatic that would be troublesome. But automatic is rather foreign to me. I'm way too hands-on for stuff to be automatic pay. I'd rather be able to fine tune the timing than have to scramble to cancel the automatic payment. I run a lean checking account and get paid biweekly so a specific date per month would be a pain. I could fiddle with the balance some other way I suppose to make it work, but the easier transition from checks back in the day was free online bill pay from the bank, and it still works well for me.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,010,025 times
I can't deal with auto-pay unless I absolutely have to. Too many horror stories of mistakes being made and losing substantial funds from one's checking account, with no one in a hurry to fix it for you. However rare overall, it's worth the 2-5 minutes per bill to do them manually. Plus it forces me to be more aware of what's coming up (especially with things that vary, like electric and gas) so I can budget accordingly, before they need to be paid, if they're extra high on a particular bill. But I'm nitpicky about budgets like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh