Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times

Advertisements

My Daughter got a notice in the mail from West View Water that "some" customers have found lead in their water and that West View acknowledges that they've found lead in their water supplied to customers.

The letter goes on to tell you things about how to minimize your possible lead levels....not to boil it, use bottled water, use a filtration system (like a Britta filter) etc.

This is pretty scary stuff!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:37 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
I knew there was a reason why I prefer beer
Now joke aside, that's pretty scary. But I also read that bottled water is just tap water.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:21 PM

I forgot to mention that they are warning customers not to use it for small children, infant formula, or your pets.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:26 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Lead in water leaches out of service lines, soldered plumbing, and faucets. What the water system is tasked by EPA to control is how corrosive the water is for lead, and the water system is required periodically to test for lead in the locations where lead is most likely found, such as older homes in the service area. Furthermore the system needs to test for the first draw off the faucet that the lead is most likely to leach into.

If the home is a newer home with newer plumbing and a newer service line, lead is much less likely to be a concern in that particular home. A newly built home may be leaching some whatever into the water from the faucet. See American Water Works Association

If the concern is lead faucets rather than a service line, rinsing out the drinking glass before filling it to drink will reduce the lead concentration that's been building up overnight. Or if you're really concerned let the cold water run until it's cooler (indicating that's from the outside rather than from the home plumbing), or a little while longer than that if the house has a lead service line. That's more revenue for the water authority too.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Lead is just one of the concerns for using tap water here. Recently we had some sore of "algae" issue with PA American Water and it stunk our house up to high hell, it was disgusting.

I'm a big fan of using filtered pitchers and being green and all that, but after that I've been going back to bottled water.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 AM

kiOeh,

I don't think this is a problem with people's home plumbing or older houses.

If West View Water sent out letters to all of their customers, it seems more like a general problem.

I happen to live in a very old home, have Penn American Water, but have never had a problem with lead or any other substance warranting a warning from the water company.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Maybe this will help?

Congress moves to reduce lead in drinking water (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/17/AR2010121705270.html - broken link)

If you want to have water that is really horrible, go to Sharpsburg. Wow.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
How much lead did they state was in the water? There are allowable levels and levels that are considered safe. To be truely safe, you'll need to have a filtering system installed at your tap. You water also has levels of arsenic and other contaminants but there are allowable levels of all of these.

Did anyone see the article in the Trib today regarding Hexavalent Chromium in drinking water supplies across the country. This is the stuff that made Erin Brokovich famous. Apparently, it isn't tested for (the hexavalent variety) by itself, only total chromium levels. EPA has stated it is a possible carcinogen and it hasn't been regulated, yet.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:59 PM

The letter doesn't state any certain amount or level.

It was just a warning letter sent to all their customers.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
kiOeh,

I don't think this is a problem with people's home plumbing or older houses.

If West View Water sent out letters to all of their customers, it seems more like a general problem.

I happen to live in a very old home, have Penn American Water, but have never had a problem with lead or any other substance warranting a warning from the water company.
Is there any way you can post the letter? I can't find a link to it from the authority's web site. It's extremely rare for source or finished water at the treatment plant to contain lead, and if it does that's typically only in the worst of lead mining areas. What the authority presents as Water Analysis (http://www.westviewwater.org/custInfo/waterAnalysis.html - broken link) does not indicate the presence of lead.

The topic of lead in drinking water is confusing because of how EPA regulates it, basically because they can reach the drinking water supplier more than the individual customers where the source actually lies in nearly all cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh