Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 AM

30 posts, read 143,863 times

Advertisements

Our home inspector told us that the main water line from the road the house was a lead pipe. He didn't seem terribly concerned and said most pipes that old build up mineral deposits that minimize contact between the water and lead. Nonetheless, he suggested that we have the water tested just to be sure.

I called the Allegheny County Lead remediation office, but they don't do water tests and suggested I call the water company. I'm a Wilkinsburgh-Penn customer, and they said they don't do tests, and that I'd have to get it done myself.

Anyone know who I should call locally to do this??? I've found some companies that do it, but they also sell water purification systems so they're motivated to find something and then try to scare you. I'd like to find an independent lab that can run the test. (I'm more than willing to buy a water purification system if I need one. I just don't want to get scammed if I don't!) Has anyone been through this before and have some advice?? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM

115 posts, read 186,187 times
Pittsburgh Water Testing Laboratories in Pittsburgh PA Yellow Pages by SuperPages

Also try Mocrobac Laboratories.

I could get a couple of others, but they're probably out of your way.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
To see DEP accredited laboratories, click here Labs scroll about halfway down to the heading "Search Environmental Laboratories" and then look for labs that are certified to do "trace metals" analysis in "drinking water". Not very user friendly but the PDF is already sorted by county and if you cross off the non-DW and non-contract labs even in Allegheny County you are left with a relatively manageable list to call.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,559 times
G&C Coal Analysis Lab
1341 Hoffman Hollow Road
Summerville, PA 15864-7139
(814) 849-6780

They also test coal samples.

Vapco Engineering - Punxsutawney - just changed hands and I don't know the name of the company, but I would guess that they still have the same telephone number.

They also do water testing.

Address:19693 Route 119 Highway North City:Punxsutawney State:Pennsylvania
ZIP:15767 Phone814)938-3700
My opinion is that you are fretting over nothing because just as the plumbers has said, once the pipe calcifies - you will not get any lead out of the pipe.

Even when the pipe is broken and repaired, it is a better pipe then any ABS / PVC plastic pipe.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:18 PM

30 posts, read 143,863 times
Thank you thank you for the leads. I'm sure it's nothing, but I'll feel better if I know for sure. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM

You are welcome ALLISON and good luck.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 PM

387 posts, read 470,840 times
I believe the health department does some sort of testing & it may be free of charge-I know it was a few years back.

If the pipes in your house are copper--you should be ok--but I WOULD get it tested no matter what-for peace of mind-

I remember there was something going on in the poorer neighborhoods offering FREE testing of the water, fliers went out especially to school aged kids to take home.

I remember reading if you have a lead supply, but copper tubing-- to NOT EVER drink hot water from the tap--hot water leaches metals apparently, & also to let cold drinking & cooking water run for a minute to clear any potential leached heavy metals from sitting in the outside line.

Don't know how accurate this info is, but you should be able to find out from the Allegheny County Health Department--check out their website maybe. Everytime I've dealt with them they have been helpful & informative-you can call them on the phone too.

I think Allegheny County Lead Remediation is a for profit business--not a government entity--call the health dept. & definately get the testing done BEFORE you close on the house.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 PM

This woman was talking about the pipes going into her house being lead, she did not say anything about the pipes going from the hot water tank to the spigots.

Anything after the meter is not hard to change.

Anything buried in the ground and under the footer or running through the foundation would be hard to change. Especially if it is ran under a cement floor in the basement.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:17 AM

387 posts, read 470,840 times
Little Bevis--
Just some friendly FYI--when you have a lead supply line, when your water sits, meaning if no water was used, say overnight, or while away for the weekend.
--It does leach some amounts of lead, and carries other metals and debris--ask any plumber.
This is also why people with lead supply lines are told to let their water run for 60 sec before cooking or drinking--to flush the water that was sitting-there is more debris in this water.

When water sits AND is heated constantly--such as in a hot water tank--it concentrates the metals--with the amount of water always coming/going-the amount of metals in hot water is much higher than in cold.

If you have a lead supply line--lead levels will always be higher coming from your hot water tank water.

-it is a known fact that you should not drink hot tap water because it concentrates the existing trace metals/debris in the water.

For example:
Ever see the inside of an old tea kettel?
That discoloration is concentracted minerals,debris & trace metals--now think of that tea kettel being 30-50 gallons cooking 24 hours a day-7 days per week all year--this is the inside of your hotwater tank--most debris is at the bottom, but if you run the hot water a long time, it gets mixed up, so don't drink hot tap water.

This is often why hot water tanks heating elements eventaully fail--concentrated debris on the element--Also--this is why you should flush you how water tank at least 1x per year--the metals & debris settle to the bottom--and will eventaully cause problems.

Doesn't matter if all of her inside supplies are copper or Pex, if the supply line is lead, there is some element of risk involved-albeit small-I'm letting her know what some of it is, and how to avoid it.

This info can be found all over the net, in books, and from the health department, & the EPA, don't just take my word for it.

here is a link to what the EPA states:http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/lead/lead1.html
Direct cut/paste from epa site:
Flush Your Pipes Before Drinking
Anytime the water in a particular faucet has not been used for six hours or longer, "flush" your cold-water pipes by running the water until it becomes as cold as it will get. (This could take as little as five to thirty seconds if there has been recent heavy water use such as showering or toilet flushing. Otherwise, it could take two minutes or longer.) The more time water has been sitting in your home's pipes, the more lead it may contain.
Only Use Cold Water for Consumption
Use only water from the cold-water tap for drinking, cooking, and especially for making baby formula. Hot water is likely to contain higher levels of lead.The two actions recommended above are very important to the health of your family. They will probably be effective in reducing lead levels because most of the lead in household water usually comes from the plumbing in your house, not from the local water supply.
Have Your Water Tested
After you have taken the two precautions above for reducing the lead in water used for drinking or cooking, have your water tested. The only way to be sure of the amount of lead in your household water is to have it tested by a competent laboratory. Your water supplier may be able to offer information or assistance with testing. Testing is especially important for apartment dwellers, because flushing may not be effective in high-rise buildings with lead-soldered central piping.
For more details on the problem of lead in drinking water and what you can do about it, read the questions and answers in the remainder of this booklet. Your local or state department of health or environment might be able to provide additional information.

First contact your county or state department of health or environment for information on local water quality.

For more general information on lead, there are now two toll-free telephone services:
  • EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline 1-800-426-4791
  • National Lead Information Center 1-800-LEAD-FYI
  • & also from EPA:
  • The second step is to never cook with or consume water from the hot-water tap. Hot water dissolves more lead more quickly than cold water. So, do not use water taken from the hot tap for cooking or drinking, and especially not for making baby formula. (If you need hot water, draw water from the cold tap and heat it on the stove.) Use only thoroughly flushed water from the cold tap for any consumption.

Last edited by Catia; 06-08-2010 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: added epa web link

Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,559 times
I work for Culligan here in Pittsburgh, and while we preform water testing for hardness, pH, chlorine, testing for heavy metals such as lead need to be preformed by a lab. I think that Microbac has a couple of labs in Pittsburgh and has a good reputation. They are independent from the water agencys and the water treatment companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh