Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Foreign students aren't immigrants, and their foreign sponsors probably wouldn't be too appreciative if a lot of them did stay (in violation of their original visas).
Foreign students almost always stay. They come here under the innocent guise of being students, but the ulterior motive is usually to secure U.S. citizenship and bring over the entire family. These students take available slots away from U.S. students in colleges and universities, and are used as an effective tool for these schools to drive up tuition costs. These same schools run routine seminars to foreign students showing them how to secure employment through immigration laws.

note, that the H1B visa was a scam to allow more foreign workers to flood job markets where the pay was usually very good, and the employers wanted to get away with paying a foreign worker a fraction of the same salary a U.S. worker would get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It dosnt really matter where the immigrants come from or where they move to, what does matter is that they assimilate to life in the states and do not expect the natives to accomodate them.
We are immigrants from Ireland and lived in NY for 25 years but not in the irish enclaves. Then we recently moved to Pittsburgh and love it. When we lived in NY, we were surrounded by immigrants from south of the border who demanded hand outs, kept the outside of their homes filthy and overcrowded and waited on corners for work.
I love immigrants that are hard working, respectful and want to get ahead. Some of the kids that are in school with my children are wonderful children and are the children of immigrants who work hard, get ahead and do not depend on others for basics.
When I hear the word native, I think of a far different type of people who had a much harder time with newcomers than modern day, overprivileged white Americans do with modern day immigrants. Please.

Oh, and Captaincatfish, no worries. That other guy isn't from these forums either. Not sure why he's blessed us with his anti-immigrant rants.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM

508 posts, read 889,784 times
Chinatown: North shore, Chateau and the Strip District
Hispanic 'hoods: Troy Hill, Fineview, Spring Garden, Spring Hill and City View
"Squirrel Hill" (North): Manchester, California-Kirkbride, Central Northside, Allegheny West & East Allegheny
Arab 'hoods: Perry South and Marshall-Shadeland
South Asian 'hoods: Perry North, Summer Hill & Brighton Heights

Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
As the thread continues I feel I have to remind everybody, especially the authors of the deleted posts, this is not about race. Make it about race, and you will get an infraction for hijacking a thread and who knows, maybe racism too.

Yac.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
I think immigrants should live wherever they are most comfortable and can afford. It dosnt matter where the immigrant comes from ; most immigrants are hard working, want to succeed and want their children to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh