Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 9,840 times

Advertisements

We're looking to buy our first house real soon. Because of work and other obligations, we are limited within the circlular area I drew on the map that's attached to this thread. It's the south east section of Allegeny County and a bit of the Western side of Westmoreland County. We have a 6 month old and we plan to stay at this place for a long time, so the quality of the school district is very important. We also want to live in a safe and family friendly and nice area. So, where should we look?

Which of these Pittsburgh area school districts and communities would be our best option?-school-district-map-3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I'd go with Norwin or Jefferson Hills, school district wise.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
Norwin area graduate here. Probably the best school district within that area you have circled and since it is Westmoreland Co, your taxes will be a little lower. You can get houses anywhere from 50k fixer uppers to 800k plus McMansions with plenty of housing stock in between.

I wouldn't throw out West Hempfield (Hempfield School district) or Sewickley Twp. (Yough School district) from the mix, especially if you like a more rural setting with even cheaper taxes. The schools are decent and depending on where you are at, probably closer to many southern Allegheny County areas.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Norwin or Jefferson Hills, and Hempfield or Keystone Oaks (not circled, but close enough)

Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Within the circle, Norwin seems to be it, then Penn-Trafford (a tiny bit in circle and just out of it) and West Jefferson Hills.

Here's a list: The Rankings: Western Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Business Times:

You should always double check, but in general the taxes should be cheaper in Westmoreland County vs Allegheny, which tips in favor of Norwin or Penn-Trafford.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 9,840 times
Thanks for the help everyone. Keep the advice coming. So far, everyone seems to be pointing out the ones I was already interested in.

I grew up in Penn-Trafford School District so I'm familiar with Norwin and I feel very comfortable sending my kids there. That's probably going to be our first choice in area. I'm looking at the rest of the area in the circle just to open up our options a bit. I'm leary about venturing into Allegheny county just because the school districts are unfamiliar to me. Also, Mckeesport is right smack dab in the middle of my circle which is an area I am definitely going to avoid like the plague. The fact that the other districts in the circle are neighboring Mckeesport, it makes me nervous for the one's I know nothing about. West Jefferson Hills seems to have really good test score stats from the research I've done, so I might be interested in looking at the neighborhoods and houses in that area. I want to learn more about it first though.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Jefferson is the best option for your Allegheny County selections. It's a great school district.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM

268 posts, read 385,208 times
go with norwin. clairton is on the verge of collapsing as a school district. when that occurs those of us working in education expect those students to go to thomas jefferson.

go with norwin.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
In that circle, I'd go with Norwin also.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I'd choose Norwin or West Jefferson Hills as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh