Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Faulk isn't as expensive, and it doesn't include the upper grades, but it's also supposed to be a very good school.
No "u" in Falk.

Falk School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
No "u" in Falk.
That's the closing line of the letters they send to reject students.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM

357 posts, read 888,944 times
Quote:
I think you're missing the important point that Winchester Thurston has full scholarships.
Full scholarship doesn't seem very easy to get at WT:

Winchester Thurston School: Scholarships and Financial Aid

"Although applications for financial aid frequently exceed our available resources"

"However, most often financial aid grants cover only part of tuition; rarely does a grant cover the full cost of tuition."

Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
Full scholarship doesn't seem very easy to get at WT:

Winchester Thurston School: Scholarships and Financial Aid

"Although applications for financial aid frequently exceed our available resources"

"However, most often financial aid grants cover only part of tuition; rarely does a grant cover the full cost of tuition."
I got financial aid for my son that made the tuition affordable. It was not a scholarship. And it was at a different school. Applying for financial aid is worth a try for the school you're considering.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 PM

357 posts, read 888,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I got financial aid for my son that made the tuition affordable. It was not a scholarship. And it was at a different school. Applying for financial aid is worth a try for the school you're considering.
I agree with you, it doesn't hurt to apply for it if you are interested. I guess my main thought was that money spent now on K-12 is money you can't save and use for college, so it is worth thinking through. It would be nice to get ones kids through college without building up debt.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
I agree with you, it doesn't hurt to apply for it if you are interested. I guess my main thought was that money spent now on K-12 is money you can't save and use for college, so it is worth thinking through. It would be nice to get ones kids through college without building up debt.
The financial aid was in the form of lower tuition, not a loan. If you weren't going into debt to pay it, the impact would be on the amount you could save, not your debt load. I agree that public school should be your first choice whenever possible, but the OP is wanting to know about private schools so I was addressing that. My daughter went to public schools throughout K-12. My son went from K-10 and his last two years were at a private school. We were going through a very tough time as a family and he needed the individual attentionand very small class size that wasn't available at the public schools in our area.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
If you're interested in Highland Park, along with Catholic school, I'd check out Saint Raphael's in Morningside.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
No "u" in Falk.

Falk School
Thanks!

Quote:
The OP is already considering private school. If the scholarship or financial aid doesn't cover the full tuition, it might very well bring the tuition down to what she would be spending for a Catholic school. It's her decision if she wants to send her children to a private school. There are significant advantages to attending a school like Winchester Thurston that can't be replicated in the public school setting. Those advantages include better chances of acceptance to elite universities and networking opportunities throughout their lives.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you're interested in Highland Park, along with Catholic school, I'd check out Saint Raphael's in Morningside.
It's not diverse.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
It's not diverse.

With a 12% African American enrollment St. Raphael's has greater diversity than most schools in the county.

In fact the ethnic ratio is almost exactly the same as the county as a whole, which is 1/8 African American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh