Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's interesting how Cleveland and Pittsburgh are different in this way. I wonder why?
That is a question that should be explored further in detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 05:16 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times
The difference between Pittsburgh and Cleveland is that the black people in Cleveland knew how to leverage power
to get things done, for example..Cleveland has had 2 black mayors, Pittsburgh has had none....Culturally, there is a
complacent and clannish attitude in Pittsburgh in general...(the joke that Pittsburgh people don't cross bridges)...

People have a tradition of not looking at the big picture and not thinking outside of the box or thinking big or long term
its a "my four and no more" mentality..This is what was told to me by some upper-middle class blacks from Cleveland..

Pittsburgh and Cleveland are both similar sized rust-belt cities but the dynamics are different.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
The difference between Pittsburgh and Cleveland is that the black people in Cleveland knew how to leverage power
to get things done, for example..Cleveland has had 2 black mayors, Pittsburgh has had none....Culturally, there is a
complacent and clannish attitude in Pittsburgh in general...(the joke that Pittsburgh people don't cross bridges)...

People have a tradition of not looking at the big picture and not thinking outside of the box or thinking big or long term
its a "my four and no more" mentality..This is what was told to me by some upper-middle class blacks from Cleveland..

Pittsburgh and Cleveland are both similar sized rust-belt cities but the dynamics are different.

Interesting

Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is quite simple, where would you go? I have lived in Pittsburgh for 20+ years and even own property there, but I would never go back to live. Like many blacks, I moved to Atlanta and seen something that you never see in Pittsburgh, A large number of black professionals. I mean if you think about it, if you grow up and you never see an engineer, doctor or a millionaire that looks like you and lived where you did, how do you think that will effect the children?

Sadly, I have met quite a few people that I personally know who now live in D.C and Atlanta and only go to Pittsburgh to visit and have vowed never to return to live
I can understand what you moved to Atlanta for. I've often thought "maybe if a Black businessman started a business in Pittsburgh, perhaps this might be helpful".

Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can understand what you moved to Atlanta for. I've often thought "maybe if a Black businessman started a business in Pittsburgh, perhaps this might be helpful".
My wife and I will go back to help educated people on homeownership and how to manage their money, hopefully by the end of this year

Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
My wife and I will go back to help educated people on homeownership and how to manage their money, hopefully by the end of this year
Sounds like you are going to do something good for the community. All people should know about home ownership and managing money.

I need to attend some workshops myself so I can learn some things.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 PM

508 posts, read 889,784 times
Pittsburgh in my humble opinion is extremely unlikely to ever become America's next Detroit

Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 AM

93 posts, read 203,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Plum full of violence? Ha! I have relatives there and crime is still very rare there and even the western sections of Penn Hills are still decent places to live. I live in one of those neighborhoods you'd consider "bad" and I have never had any crime happen to me. You mean to tell us you moved 200 miles away becuase the Pittsburgh area is that bad? There's obviously more reasons than that if you have to move that far away to a town you have to look up to even know where it is.
My aunt, her 3 sons and husband lives in Plum, they live in a spot that is good, but rest is bad. I know she has good friends that are trying to move to the better part of Plum.

Jobs sucks in Pgh as well. My old crappy job I bust my rear end to make 9.70 an hour cleaning up after messy corporate people who cannot clean up after them selves who have no respect for the cleaners. The job I am in now I make 11.15 an hour. What I made in one week in my new job is what I would bring home in 2.5 weeks at my old Job. Yeah that is really sad, I could not even get a 2nd job part time just to get my ends meet. I may not have college education but there is no REASON why I cannot get a job to pay me more. I have worked in plenty of shares of jobs. When I get hired in my pay rate will go up another dollar an hours. The final pay rate after 2.5 years will be at 18+ bucks an hour. Twice a year we get 12 days off during shut down, no more working 5 days a week. We work 3 days on, 4 days off, 4 days on and 3 days off. I love it, I love the laid back positive attitude people here, no road rage maniacs on the road.

In Pgh we get our faces snapped off with crappy attitudes etc. Here in Ohio we get the waves, HI, How are you etc even if they had the worst day ever and yet we get such great attitude. I lived in Pgh for 35 years and I know the difference and I aint stupid. I HAVE no DESIRE to move back to Pgh. I miss the OLD Pgh the way it used to be before the lazy butt welfare, violence people who just have no respect at all.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM

747 posts, read 1,232,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post

The difference between Pittsburgh and Cleveland is demographics. It has nothing to do with leverage.... The Clevelands black population is 3 X that of Pittsburgh. Cleveland government structure reflects the city population. When you have a majority black city, you will have a large representation when it comes to government and the policies associated with it. In Pittsburgh, you can build a multi billion dollar airport and stadia with little to know black participation. In atlanta for instance, the airport elevated many black contractors to multi million dollar status because the black majority made sure that the contracts were handed out in a fair and balanced manner....... Pittsburgh's small black population coupled with the colapse of steel industry hit blacks in Pittsburgh the hardest. This is similar to the national recession disproportionately hit black people the hardest....

If Pittsburgh was majority black, we would have most likely elcted black mayors as well. Atlanta, DC, Detroit, Newark, St Louis, Baltimore, and so on have black mayors because they are chocolate cities....lol

Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM

747 posts, read 1,232,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So white people are under the impression that there are no Black businesses in Pittsburgh? Is that right? Check out the Pittsburgh black business times or the Pittsburgh Black chamber of commerence before you make ignorant assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh