Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Ah okay. I'd suggest South Fayette, Marshall Township (North Allegheny SD), Peters Township (Washington County), Cecil Township (Washington County), and North Strabane (Washington County). All of those areas have new homes being built in the area in the 200-250k range. They are suburban but much more spread out than what has been mentioned so far. And they are all in good school districts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The surrounding counties would be perfect for you then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
South fayette fits most of your criteria except for the boat. It is 20 mins to the airport, great schools, newer subdivisions and more being built. It is close to the city but yet last night I had a huge raccoon in my deck. We moved here last year and love it
I agree with all of this, although I'd concur with greg42 that moving to Cranberry Township (or points north or east) will extend your driving distance to the airport to the very top of your comfort zone. I think you'd like the South Fayette Township/Bridgeville area (in Allegheny County) or Canon-MacMillan (just over the county line). Cecil Township sounds like it would perfectly fit your needs, and from there you can easily take a day-trip down to Cheat Lake or a weekend excursion with the family to Deep Creek Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,567,591 times
If you need to be close to the airport: Robinson, Moon, South Fayette, Sewickley, just to name a few.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM

30 posts, read 45,875 times
The airport needs to be a minimum of 40-45 Minutes away. I will be utilizing it but not more than 2-3 times a month. So the trip to and from the airport is important, but not the top concern. Great schools, low crime, great neighborhoods (with similar aged families no super old communities), accessibility to the highways (preferably limited tunnels), family friendly amenities, etc.

My wife is a teacher and will be spending the summers with my boys (5 and 8). They like having parks, museums, water/ pool parks, sports, zoos, etc. close by for there summer entertainment.

Once again thanks for all your input.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,909,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter119 View Post
The airport needs to be a minimum of 40-45 Minutes away.
I think you mean maximum.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,682,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Ah okay. I'd suggest South Fayette, Marshall Township (North Allegheny SD), Peters Township (Washington County), Cecil Township (Washington County), and North Strabane (Washington County). All of those areas have new homes being built in the area in the 200-250k range. They are suburban but much more spread out than what has been mentioned so far. And they are all in good school districts!
Are they really building new ones that low? In Marshall I can't really imagine. The lots are big but they're mostly building stuff that's half a mil plus from what I can see.

In a lot of places (but not all) looking for a lot that's an acre or larger means you won't likely have as much of a neighborhood setting. You may have neighbors, but you might be on a through road, that sort of thing. Lots that large in a planned out development are rare in this area except for prices at more like 3x your price point. Can't think of anywhere there's a whole development of 1 acre lots with $250k houses. But certainly there are scattered $250k houses that have an acre or more of land. It could take some digging.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM

30 posts, read 45,875 times
After reading my previous post, I was mistaken in my sizing. 3 acres would pretty much put me in a rural area or neighborhoods that are too spacious. My goal is to have a nice size yard with options for privacy. I currently live in a suburb that the house are lined up and down the streets with smaller lots. It makes for limited privacy as well as small yards. I apologize for being difficult.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Quote:
After reading my previous post, I was mistaken in my sizing. 3 acres would pretty much put me in a rural area or neighborhoods that are too spacious. My goal is to have a nice size yard with options for privacy. I currently live in a suburb that the house are lined up and down the streets with smaller lots. It makes for limited privacy as well as small yards. I apologize for being difficult.
It seems older housing plans have houses spaced further apart compared to newer housing developments. The other advantage to an older housing development is the landscaping is mature, which means there are already trees and bushes providing privacy.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,296,261 times
Quote:
My wife is a teacher and will be spending the summers with my boys (5 and 8). They like having parks, museums, water/ pool parks, sports, zoos, etc. close by for there summer entertainment.
For the Museum and Zoo portions, she'll be driving into the city of Pittsburgh - which has great museums and things to do for kids. Just a few of them are mentioned here:
Cool Things to Do with Kids in Pittsburgh

Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,682,661 times
Mature landscaping is probably a better bet at privacy in that price range. It can be tough. I didn't want to be able to reach out and touch my neighbor either. My lot is 1/3 acre and now I kinda wish it weren't so big. It's fairly long and narrow so the houses on either side are close-ish.

It's not so much being difficult yourself as it is being difficult to actually find what you might want in this area. To a certain degree you may just have to look at properties in person and see. The photos will never tell you what you need to know about that, and while there will be a lot size in the listing, certain other aspects (landscaping, house orientation, hills, etc) will make some houses more private on the same size lot.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,814,482 times
Our lot is over an acre but it is very wooded and also very slopped. Last night we had a racoon on the deck, today we had a huge turkey.

Take a look at our school district. The campus makes a great environment and is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh