Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM

30 posts, read 45,836 times

Advertisements

What are some good area realtor websites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter119 View Post
What are some good area realtor websites?
I like Howard Hanna because you can see the listings on a map to know exactly where they are located.

Howard Hanna Real Estate Services - Real Estate - Pittsburgh - Property - Proplist

It works like google maps for moving the map around via clicking and holding down, and double clicking to zoom into an area.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times
You would be doing your family a disservice if you do not investigate McCandless Township and the North Allegheny School District. The community meets virtually all of your criteria, and then some. The exception, however, is North Park Lake- it being more of a fishing/recreational hub, as opposed to a boating lake, but it is located in parts of McCandless. If you would google to research this area, I believe that you will have a better grasp as to why I recommend it so highly to you and your family.

I personally have lived in the North Allegheny community for close to 30 years, and my 3 children are the beneficiaries of one of the best communities and educational programs nationally. The real estate taxes are a value, as your children will receive an education on par (or better) with the best private schools in the region. The community amenities are virtually unmatched in any other local area, and yet, you are within a reasonable driving distance to most area attractions & shopping.

I have my ski boat docked on Conneaut Lake, and we usually spend many of our summer weekends there. We would regularly stop at the Grove City outlets on the way. It usually takes us about an 1 hour and 15 minutes to drive there from our McCandless home. I am not sure if it matters to you, but many of the local lakes are limited to 10 HP.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks Coach, I have McCandless on my list of places to look. I am going to be in the area next week and the following. I plan on covering a vast portion of the entire area.

Thanks again.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
McCandless has North Park. It's a great place to take the kids for walks, etc. It's close to shopping. The school district is gigantic though. You can get the same quality education at some of the surrounding county school district. You don't have to pay higher taxes. But McCandless is convenient, beautiful, and meets most of your needs.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
McCandless has North Park. It's a great place to take the kids for walks, etc. It's close to shopping. The school district is gigantic though. You can get the same quality education at some of the surrounding county school district. You don't have to pay higher taxes. But McCandless is convenient, beautiful, and meets most of your needs.
It is not until a child reaches the 9th grade level in North Allegheny that the size of the district has any comparative implications. Each child has an opportunity to attend one of 7 district elementary schools for grades K through 5, and then, will attend one of three middle schools for grades 6 through 8. The enrollment in any one of these schools is either comparable in number (most frequently lower) than any schools surrounding them (us). All three of the NA middle schools have earned the prestigious Blue Ribbon awards as being among our nation's finest.

At the high school levels, NA excels in virtually every endeavor, be it individual, group, or team activities. This would include athletics, the arts, and academic achievement. Oh yes, both the high school and the intermediate high school are Blue Ribbon schools. On what basis can you say that each child will get "the same quality education at some of the surrounding county school district"? You may be correct in some instances, but I believe that NA's standard of excellence is unmatched for providing the best possible education for the largest number of individual students. Its history, its student excellence, its graduation requirements, and its national acclaim places this district on a much higher tier than many of its contemporaries.

One last reason to consider the NA school district and McCandless is a great place to live.....

Best Places to Live 2011 - Top 100: Town details: McCandless Township, PA - from MONEY Magazine

Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Coach,

My boys are very young. They will be 5 (Kindergarten) and 8 (3rd Grade) when we would be attending school next year. I have so very many things to take into consideration over the next few months, schools being one of the biggest. Obviously home purchase, taxes, etc. need to be in the discussion but my boys and their future is my main concern. So far the Pittsburgh area is amazingly well represented with good schools. I may need to continue to pick your brain on my options. I have been doing home purchasing research over the past few days and have found a few I like in the area. I may or may not purchase right away in an effort to make the best decision on location. So far I have found a number of great school and home combinations in the following areas: Sewickley, Peters Township, Cranberry, McCandless Township, Moon, South Fayette, Canonsburg, and maybe a few other. This is my short list thus far.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
FWIW in my posts I did not single out McCandless only because I thought Franklin Park or Marshall would in most cases (not all) be closer access to the highway (I-79) if you want to be in N. Allegheny school district. Nothing otherwise wrong with McCandless, although finding large lots in that price range will be few and far between (same for the other places though).

Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter119 View Post
Coach,

My boys are very young. They will be 5 (Kindergarten) and 8 (3rd Grade) when we would be attending school next year. I have so very many things to take into consideration over the next few months, schools being one of the biggest. Obviously home purchase, taxes, etc. need to be in the discussion but my boys and their future is my main concern. So far the Pittsburgh area is amazingly well represented with good schools. I may need to continue to pick your brain on my options. I have been doing home purchasing research over the past few days and have found a few I like in the area. I may or may not purchase right away in an effort to make the best decision on location. So far I have found a number of great school and home combinations in the following areas: Sewickley, Peters Township, Cranberry, McCandless Township, Moon, South Fayette, Canonsburg, and maybe a few other. This is my short list thus far.
With so many options available to explore, it may take you some time to sort through those that might serve your family best. Renting, for a while, might give you the additional time needed to ascertain your best long term solution, but there will be the caveats with doing this. First, rental availability may present you with some real challenges- there is a real scarcity in many of the areas that you have listed for suitable rental homes. Secondly, when a home becomes available with many of the amenities on your wish list (and within your price range) in the desirable area(s) that you are seeking, they tend to sell extremely fast. Finally, moving all of your earthly things once is a hassle.... doing it twice, could be grounds for divorce!

From your current list, and based upon my somewhat limited personal knowledge of the districts that I have from my coaching/teaching years, I might suggest:

1. McCandless Twp/ North Allegheny (I live here, but never taught here, for reasons already described, I love this area; amenities that exceed virtually any community in Pittsburgh region)

2. Peters Township/Peters (a topnotch school district with lower Washington County property taxes, but homes tend to be outrageously expensive)

3. South Fayette/South Fayette (a district very close to airport; excellent school district; rapidly growing area)

4. Sewickley/Quaker Valley (older, small town feel, quality school district that is smaller in comparison to others on your list; airport proximity)

Of the remaining areas on your list, I do not have a true comfort level giving them a personal ranking. My impressions of Cranberry/Seneca Valley are not too favorable (a poorly planned community with average schools, "breadbox" neighborhoods, and overpriced homes on ridiculously small lots) despite the reduced Butler County taxes. Moon (OK schools- be careful that your home is not in the direct airplane landing path). Canonsburg/Canon-Mac, I know nothing about. Some may not agree with my personal thoughts, but I hope that you find this helpful.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
My impressions of Cranberry/Seneca Valley are not too favorable (a poorly planned community with average schools, "breadbox" neighborhoods, and overpriced homes on ridiculously small lots) despite the reduced Butler County taxes.
See, sub-forum! I'm not the only one who dislikes Cranberry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh