Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
I am a strong proponent of city schools as well. I along with my 3 siblings graduated from city schools (CAPA and Taylor Allderdice) as well. I have two children that attend PPS magnet programs. I cannot say that my cousins that grew up in the suburbs turned out any better than my siblings and I. My sister is an RN studying to be a PA, My baby sister is a analyst for a major financial institution, My older brother is a artist and art teacher in NC, I am a project manager living in the city. As PPS students, we were exposed to different cultures and attended school with children from all demographics. I have no regrets living and sending my kids to PPS. Failure for my children is not an option.....
I'm glad you posted. It's important to hear from parents who have school aged children. Would you feel the same way if magnets weren't available? What about if you weren't in a good feeder neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM

747 posts, read 1,232,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm glad you posted. It's important to hear from parents who have school aged children. Would you feel the same way if magnets weren't available? What about if you weren't in a good feeder neighborhood?

Im not in a good feeder program. All of the middle class children in my neighborhood attend either private, charter, or PPS magnet programs. The only children that attend the feeder schools are for the most part disadvantaged. Magnet schools have been in existance for my entire life. Its all that I know. If this was not an option, I would probably live in Plum or Export....

There are quite a few inner city kids that have either partial or full scholarships to area private schools like Shadyside Academy and Winchester Thurston.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Im not in a good feeder program. All of the middle class children in my neighborhood attend either private, charter, or PPS magnet programs. The only children that attend the feeder schools are for the most part disadvantaged. Magnet schools have been in existance for my entire life. Its all that I know. If this was not an option, I would probably live in Plum or Export....

There are quite a few inner city kids that have either partial or full scholarships to area private schools like Shadyside Academy and Winchester Thurston.
Since the OP article says it's getting more difficult to get into the charters and magnets, it sounds like this could be a problem for middle class families that can't afford a private school if their children don't qualify for scholarships, and they'll likely leave the city if their only option is the feeder schools.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,717 times
PPS is not the PPS or even a shadow of the PPS you knew in the 80's or 90's. The lack of disipline on every level is confusing and dangerous. Elementary schools are indeed unsafe for so many reasons. Try to learn in a loud disruptive classroom. There are virtually no consequences. Teachers get written up (later fired) for taking disruptive swearing children to the principal's office because they were not able to control their classroom. Try teaching 28 3rd graders and 1/3 of them do not behave. Top it off with PPS teachers are REQUIRED to teach off a prepared script every single day. This is 100% true with CAPA and a few magnet schools as the exception for certain classes. Thank you Bill Gates?

Do research, it will make your head spin.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Teachers get written up (later fired) for taking disruptive swearing children to the principal's office because they were not able to control their classroom.
Could you provide a citation for that. I was under the impression that it was extremely difficult to remove a teacher for performance and that layoffs were handled strictly by seniority rules. I googled the news up and down and couldn't find a single case of a teacher fired for a cause that didn't involve actions that resulted in criminal charges being filed against the teacher.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM

357 posts, read 888,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
The lack of disipline on every level is confusing and dangerous. Elementary schools are indeed unsafe for so many reasons.
Maybe that's true in your neck of the woods, but I've had kids at Colfax for the past six years, and I don't consider it "unsafe"... I don't find your statement creditable.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
Maybe that's true in your neck of the woods, but I've had kids at Colfax for the past six years, and I don't consider it "unsafe"... I don't find your statement creditable.
Most of the other elementary schools are not in a good neighborhood feeder like Colfax.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-21-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
Sideblinded had kids at Minadeo before pulling them out, IIRC -- if that's the case it's really not a different neck of the woods. (I live in the Minadeo feeder zone, so I tend to notice when people mention that.)

Looking at the A-Plus Schools report, Minadeo and Colfax apparently had very similar numbers of disciplinary actions for violence, weapons, and controlled substances (between 5 and 6 per 100 students), so on the surface that looks about equal. Minadeo is just about at the mean for K-5s in PPS but well above the median (most K-5s have two or fewer, but a few have 10+), while Colfax is below the mean and median for K-8s. It's also reasonable to assume that more of those incidents at Colfax involve middle school-aged kids, so it really might be a much safer climate at the K-5 level.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
(I live in the Minadeo feeder zone, so I tend to notice when people mention that.)
They switched principals, I've heard in direct response to complaints like that. I haven't heard about the new one.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
They switched principals, I've heard in direct response to complaints like that. I haven't heard about the new one.
It must have been bad if families were leaving and the district switched principals. Wonder why they don't do the same thing at the other elementary schools that have serious discipline problems. Probably because those parents earn less money, don't make a fuss, and aren't leaving the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh