Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

That won't win me back as a customer. I don't appreciate being robbed for decades simply because Giant Eagle didn't have much competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's interesting that it's worded as "the perception of value," which isn't actual value, no?
Maybe it's because even if they reduce their prices 15% on "3000 items," those items will likely still be more expensive than Walmart, and everything outside of those 3000 items will definitely still be more expensive than Walmart. But they can make a big splash in the news and in their advertising that they are slashing prices to get people in the stores, but they could still save elsewhere. I'm making assumptions here since I have never done a major price comparison between Walmart and Giant Eagle on specific items, but certainly the common belief is that Walmart is significantly cheaper.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Maybe it's because even if they reduce their prices 15% on "3000 items," those items will likely still be more expensive than Walmart, and everything outside of those 3000 items will definitely still be more expensive than Walmart. But they can make a big splash in the news and in their advertising that they are slashing prices to get people in the stores, but they could still save elsewhere. I'm making assumptions here since I have never done a major price comparison between Walmart and Giant Eagle on specific items, but certainly the common belief is that Walmart is significantly cheaper.

You just can't compare Walmart and Giant Eagle, Walmart has buying power that nobody can match. They also won't allow their employees to unionize.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You just can't compare Walmart and Giant Eagle, Walmart has buying power that nobody can match. They also won't allow their employees to unionize.
Yeah, I certainly never said that Giant Eagle is able to match Walmart's prices and are just refusing for the sake of profit margins. I'm aware of those factors. Though I'm not of the understanding that Giant Eagle, despite their workers being unionized, actually treats its employees well or pays them well, certainly not much better than Walmart does. Neither of them have anything on Costco.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:27 PM

361 posts, read 748,476 times
Actually no, they are not.

I was in the one on Old Solomon's Road in Edgewater (Annapolis) recently, and they are not innovators in anything.

In fact, teaching their employees how to talk at this point would be a major improvement.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Actually no, they are not.

I was in the one on Old Solomon's Road in Edgewater (Annapolis) recently, and they are not innovators in anything.

In fact, teaching their employees how to talk at this point would be a major improvement.
What store are you talking about.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Am I the only person who gets tired of people bitching about supermarkets? If I see bruised apples, I just take some unbruised apples instead. I don't break down in tears and then type an angry diatribe on Yelp over it, nor do I belittle an entire metropolitan area for having an abundance of that particular chain either. Same goes for spoiled meat. I take the unspoiled meat instead. There's actually a lot more of it, believe it or not. Besides, the spoiled, bruised, and otherwise tainted stuff comes out of the supermarket's bottom line as unsold inventory anyway.

With all that said, bash away on the self-checkout lines. The only time I ever use them is if I'm using a credit/debit card that doesn't have my name on it. I don't want to be told that I can't buy anything because the name on my ID and the name on the card don't perfectly match, especially if 'm running errands for somebody else. Otherwise, I go through the lines with cashiers to give them a bit more job security.
Couldn't agree more. If you don't like it don't go. From the little amount of time I've spent here it seems the same people have the most posts/gripes. Can't please everybody.

Giant Eagle is ridiculously priced on many items. Coffee being a prime example. However, they have most everything so I patronize them when I have to. Rest of my shopping is done at Wal-Mart.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Giant Eagle to expand into Indianapolis as it locates a Market District and Get-Go in Carmel.

Giant Eagle plans to expand into Indianapolis - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
To each his own, but choosing a grocery store based on aesthetic tastes is very silly to me. I think that people paying a premium for enhanced presentation of their food is more indicative of the decline of civilization than people making economical choices.
This. I'm thankful for variety. Those of you who want to pay a premium to shop in a glamorous supermarket can do so, and those of us (like me) who prefer to get in and get out as quickly as possible, without spending much money, can do so.

I really don't care what a supermarket looks like, so long as they are clean and the prices are low. I am not going there to hang out and admire the presentation. If I want to go somewhere for the ambience, it's not going to be a grocery store. I will say that the Giant Eagle Market District is a good place to pick up cute guys, but I would never buy anything there. That would be like buying your groceries at CVS, although that might be cheaper! Lol

Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
this is the only forum i have ever witnessed-other than some 50+ year olds who don't even know what a credit card is- complain about self checkout. i find it easy, quicker than to wait on a cashier who probably sits there and hates his/her job.

and chances are, im also avoiding the grandma who is writing her checks

i kinda find it funny also people prefer going to whole foods but scrutinize giant eagle. down in va, we call it "whole paycheck"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh