Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 12:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

The East Hills is literally the easternmost of the city's 90 officially-recognized neighborhoods. The neighborhoods that are almost always included in the "East End" (no questions asked) are: East Hills, The Homewoods, the Squirrel Hills (including Summerset @ Frick Park), Glen Hazel, the Point Breezes, Shadyside, Garfield, Greenfield, Hazelwood, Regent Square, Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, Highland Park, Morningside, Swisshelm Park (which includes Duck Hollow), Stanton Heights, Friendship, and Bloomfield.

This forum has always debated if Polish Hill and/or Lawrenceville also belong as part of the East End or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 12:42 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Lol. You are officially an idiot. East Hills is in fact the East End. The Eastern most part of the East End and a city neighborhood next to Homewood. I'm mean my family is from Clairton but I moved to the East End as a child. Taylor Allderdice graduate.

I think white people like yourself have a limited view of what makes up the East End or the Eastern most section of the city.

My section of East Hills is shielded from the "bad" sections. I love my home and neighborhood....what is your motive. Your like a mean spirited Karen. A hater.

Not sure why I responded. But I must eliminate Karen's confusion.
Just asked if it was different, and the links I provided make it appear so, along with you saying there’s “bad” sections.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:09 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The East Hills is literally the easternmost of the city's 90 officially-recognized neighborhoods. The neighborhoods that are almost always included in the "East End" (no questions asked) are: East Hills, The Homewoods, the Squirrel Hills (including Summerset @ Frick Park), Glen Hazel, the Point Breezes, Shadyside, Garfield, Greenfield, Hazelwood, Regent Square, Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, Highland Park, Morningside, Swisshelm Park (which includes Duck Hollow), Stanton Heights, Friendship, and Bloomfield.

This forum has always debated if Polish Hill and/or Lawrenceville also belong as part of the East End or not.
Thank you Steelcity

Old 10-22-2021, 03:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The East Hills is literally the easternmost of the city's 90 officially-recognized neighborhoods. The neighborhoods that are almost always included in the "East End" (no questions asked) are: East Hills,
Not by the locals of many decades. The East Hills isn't the city of Pittsburgh. It is part of Wilkinsburg and Penn Hills. No one from Pittsburgh of over 50 years old would include anything out of the city as part of the East End. No way. There was an East Hills Shopping Center. That was never considered part of Pittsburgh. East End is Pittsburgh proper.

Can't believe people don't know that? Odd.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Not by the locals of many decades. The East Hills isn't the city of Pittsburgh. It is part of Wilkinsburg and Penn Hills. No one from Pittsburgh of over 50 years old would include anything out of the city as part of the East End. No way. There was an East Hills Shopping Center. That was never considered part of Pittsburgh. East End is Pittsburgh proper.

Can't believe people don't know that? Odd.
Bingo

Old 10-22-2021, 03:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The former East Hills Shopping Center was mostly in Penn Hills but the land is divided up between Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills and the city of Pittsburgh. If that helps..

I always understood Homewood as part of the East End. East Liberty is but Homewood is not? huh? Homewood, Larimer and Lincoln are farther east and are included. Maybe you colorism does not allow you to include black neighborhoods in the overall dynamic but OK.
The East End includes all of Homewood. I already stated that. The East End for the old timers is where Cooper's Animal Supply is, the Giant Eagle, Penn Hills Fire Department building and the KFC area. Also, that Chimney/fireplace and BP area. At least that is what we consider the "East End". .

Why is race part of this subject? Homewood is a black area and is in the East End. Is that racist somehow? Geez!

I think the bottom line is when the older folks think of the East Hills, it isn't the city of Pittsburgh. The East End is. Even if some tiny part of that big lot of the old East Hills Shopping Center is part of Pittsburgh. People don't acknowledge that as it wasn't part of our view of the neighborhood.

I am only stating this as someone that has long history here and that is how we would view it. Maybe it morphed into something new, but no one from my day would view it this new way.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It is after all this time. It took a lifetime and then some to turn it around.
The average life span in the United States is 79 years. "A lifetime and then some" would suggest that it took at least 80 years for the trend to reverse, when, in fact, it took only 60 years, or 0.7594936708860759 lifetimes, which is less than a full lifetime, much less "then some."

Also, when we consider that Pittsburgh is the only major MSA in the United States with more deaths than births, the population increase was entirely the result of people "voting with their feet" -- and then some.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:08 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The average life span in the United States is 79 years. "A lifetime and then some" would suggest that it took at least 80 years for the trend to reverse, when, in fact, it took only 60 years, or 0.7594936708860759 lifetimes, which is less than a full lifetime, much less "then some."

Also, when we consider that Pittsburgh is the only major MSA in the United States with more deaths than births, the population increase was entirely the result of people "voting with their feet" -- and then some.
I know we have heard the more deaths than births excuse for a while now. 60 years is a lifetime.

Regardless it is good news the county finally posted growth and the city losses are now a trickle. However what is better news is that it just isn’t unique to Pittsburgh. Most of the small and midsize rust belt cities have pretty much bottomed out with decline other than Erie Pa and Youngstown Ohio.

Buffalo city added 17K residents and Erie County added nearly 40K. A huge surprise since that is the least talked about rust belt peer. Pittsburgh can learn a few lessons from them.

But again I think Pittsburgh and the other rust belt cities are going to go up. While states like Florida have really slowed with population growth and we’re largely overestimated this past decade.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Bingo

Old 10-24-2021, 07:26 AM

611 posts, read 364,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I know we have heard the more deaths than births excuse for a while now. 60 years is a lifetime.

Why do you call a fact an excuse? The metro has had more deaths than births for decades now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh