Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
that would be some water heater!
lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I think we've answered your question. Yes, you can afford to move to Pittsburgh. But you're going to need to compromise on what you want. You said a top school district is most important. So pick your school district -- I can't help you with that, as I have no kids -- and then find the house you can afford in that district that offers the fewest compromises, with the knowledge that there are going to be compromises. You might end up with wood trim that needs to be painted, or wallpaper that has to be removed.

Next!
What he said.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
If you want a top school district, you will have either to pay high taxes or a high price for the house. Comprimise and you may get what you want. We lived in a gorgeous house on Long island but the school district was horrible so thats why the kids went to parochial.

Here we researched schools for ages and would only look at top districts. The house can be a home no matter where you live.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM

299 posts, read 545,795 times
I am from Pgh but have been living out west for 30+ years. My entire family is in Pgh. Two nice neighborhoods that 2 of my sisters live in are Greentree and Bethel Park.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:18 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Pittsburgh = the "Sides

You say Pittsburgh; the posters say Gibsonia, Bethel Park, etc. These towns are 10 miles +/- out from the City of Pittsburgh.

There is the city business district located between the three rivers; Southside; Northside; Westside; the strip district, Polish Hill; and the Hill.

Sounds like you want to live in the suburbs.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM

22 posts, read 30,413 times
Yes I do prefer the suburbs...I said Pittsburgh as more of the general location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
You say Pittsburgh; the posters say Gibsonia, Bethel Park, etc. These towns are 10 miles +/- out from the City of Pittsburgh.

There is the city business district located between the three rivers; Southside; Northside; Westside; the strip district, Polish Hill; and the Hill.

Sounds like you want to live in the suburbs.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 PM

225 posts, read 323,886 times
I would suggest Avonworth School district and Ohio Township in the North Hills. The district is relatively small, but pretty good and growing. The commute to the airport & downtown is very easy. There is a large variety of housing at many price points.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

In other words, do you only want the appearance of wealth or do you want to actually build real wealth?
Best comment on this thread.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:27 AM

99 posts, read 147,099 times
Dear OP,

I am not sure what a subdivision is, but I know i didnt grow up in one and i still got to play with all the kids in the neighborhood.

You like new construction, fine. We all have preferences.

The school taxes are the premium you pay for a "good school district". Private school for when your children reach high school is likely cheaper if you live outside of a "top district".

The problem is new construction is primarily in "top school districts" because developers know stupid rich people will pay a premium for those crappy houses. Probably no more than 80k goes into those rapidly built piles of junk.

It sounds like you should check out STUEBENVILLE THE BURB OF THE BURGH.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Just wanted to let you know that the school rankings were out yesterday. It shows where the schools rank in PA. Three of the top ten schools were in Allegheny County ; Ours being 8th!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh