Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:38 AM

6 posts, read 6,536 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in my last semester of school and I'll be moving to Pittsburgh after graduation. I'll be working downtown, so I'm looking for somewhere with easy access to downtown. But all the highly recommended neighborhood seem to have rather high rent (shadyside studios are consistently over $900/month, a little more than I want to spend on a studio. and squirrel hill doesn't look much cheaper.)
I'm just finishing school and have a lot of student loans, so I don't want to spend too much on rent. I'll be taking my car with me so I won't need public transportation. Could anyone recommend a safe, clean, nice neighborhood that's a short drive to downtown? (less than 7miles/less than 30 minutes during morning work hour) I'm looking to spend <$750/month on a studio or one-bedroom. Is that realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 05:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Define "clean" and "nice."

Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Trust me, you don't want to drive to downtown if you can help it. The parking situation is a nightmare, as is rush hour in and out of the city. Downtown parking is very expensive too. I'd highly recommend locating on a mass transit line.

You have tons of options at that range. I think you could afford something in Bloomfield/Friendship, for example, or portions of the North Side. Mention a neighborhood and we'll tell you what we think.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryll2013 View Post
I'm just finishing school and have a lot of student loans, so I don't want to spend too much on rent. I'll be taking my car with me so I won't need public transportation. Could anyone recommend a safe, clean, nice neighborhood that's a short drive to downtown? (less than 7miles/less than 30 minutes during morning work hour) I'm looking to spend <$750/month on a studio or one-bedroom. Is that realistic?

Bellevue is a relatively easy and quick trip in, which would be in your budget and is perfectly safe. The borough fathers keep a pretty orderly community. You'd save a bit on your wage tax out there.

Driving by way of 65 or 279, you'd be in town in a flash with no tunnels in the way.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Trust me, you don't want to drive to downtown if you can help it. The parking situation is a nightmare, as is rush hour in and out of the city. Downtown parking is very expensive too.
That's not true!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not true!
It takes at least 15 minutes to drive out of downtown in the evening. On the rare occasions I've been in a car, I've been so frustrated sitting at blocks for minutes at a time.

Plus, even with the rise in bus fare, $5.00 for a two-way trip is still cheaper than the daily charge for virtually any parking near downtown, let alone in it.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
It takes at least 15 minutes to drive out of downtown in the evening. On the rare occasions I've been in a car, I've been so frustrated sitting at blocks for minutes at a time.

Plus, even with the rise in bus fare, $5.00 for a two-way trip is still cheaper than the daily charge for virtually any parking near downtown, let alone in it.

Depends really on which way you're going as well as what time, as to how difficult it is to drive out of town. Certainly easier to escape to points north as you don't have the tunnels that you have in other directions

$9.75 to $12 in town to park is definitely more than riding a bus- but I wouldn't call it necessarily "very" expensive.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:07 AM

225 posts, read 323,886 times
I agree about Bellevue - or even parts of Brighton Heights. Anywhere up Route 65 really. The commute is easy (no tunnels) and there are a number of decent apartments. They're not the swankiest of neighborhoods, but pretty safe and convenient.

West View, Troy Hill/Reserve Twp, Dormont/Beechview and maybe Greenfield are other places you could consider.

Don't worry about driving in to town - at least if you are coming from the north - the commute isn't bad. Avoid tunnels if possible. Parking is expensive though.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
There are many factors. You're not taking a highway out of town, nor picking a parking area that is on the edge of town and easy to access the highways. Yeah, if you park in the middle of town and then try to get to the East End via non-highway, you're going to be in serious congestion. If you don't do it often, you don't learn which areas backup and certain times so you can change your route accordingly to miss it. You can't accurately comment on what it's like to commute from the suburbs unless you've lived there and done it.

Quote:
There's affordable parking to be found. Driving is more expensive than the bus, but it's not very expensive.

Believe it or not, there are people who actually prefer driving cars over public transportation for a variety of reasons.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
Don't worry about driving in to town - at least if you are coming from the north - the commute isn't bad.
Agreed. The north will be the best commute. It's quite effortless for the most part. It's easier than commuting from town to the east end in many areas. I'm still waiting for the OP to define "clean" and "nice" before I give specific recommendations on which northern neighborhoods would be best for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh