Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I Plan to Vote For...
Josh Wander (R) 15 26.32%
Jake Wheatley (D) 1 1.75%
A.J. Richardson (D) 6 10.53%
Bill Peduto (D) 29 50.88%
Jack Wagner (D) 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,274,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Image IS everything, Caladium. I said that upthread. There's a reason why Pittsburgh is thriving while Cleveland, Buffalo, Toledo, Detroit, etc. are all struggling. People view Pittsburgh as being "renewed", "restored", "reinvigorated", "reinvented", etc. People don't think the same about these other cities..

Pittsburgh is recovering largely because of the huge growth in the gas industry in the region.

All of the cities that you've listed are as equally committed to the progressive social ideals like gay marriage, some of them probably more so than Pittsburgh.

Other socially progressive cities like Vegas and cities in California still aren't recovered- other less progressive cities in Texas are doing just fine with economic recovery.

Natural resources and industrial infrastructure, as well as a reasonable regulatory environment is what encourages industry to locate in an area a lot more than social progressive ideas.

If there is a single thing that Pennsylvania could do to encourage economic recovery, it would be to follow the recent lead of Indiana and Michigan and adopt a right to work law which could encourage industries to come here. I don't see any of the Pittsburgh mayoral candidates going for that, but its a state matter anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 08:48 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,228,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Pittsburgh is recovering largely because of the huge growth in the gas industry in the region.

All of the cities that you've listed are as equally committed to the progressive social ideals like gay marriage, some of them probably more so than Pittsburgh.

Other socially progressive cities like Vegas and cities in California still aren't recovered- other less progressive cities in Texas are doing just fine with economic recovery.

Natural resources and industrial infrastructure, as well as a reasonable regulatory environment is what encourages industry to locate in an area a lot more than social progressive ideas.

If there is a single thing that Pennsylvania could do to encourage economic recovery, it would be to follow the recent lead of Indiana and Michigan and adopt a right to work law which could encourage industries to come here. I don't see any of the Pittsburgh mayoral candidates going for that, but its a state matter anyhow.
Right - It's the economy, stupid. The best thing a city like Pittsburgh can do is leave taxing, harassing businesses, etc. up to the state and Feds. People move to where there are jobs, the rest is usually secondary. That's why people left here in the first place. It wouldn't hurt to have a mayor who is somewhat libertarian. Unless he/she was super combative and wanted to dissolve what few few public services City government seems to provide somewhat adequately it could be interesting.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Image IS everything, Caladium. I said that upthread.
Yeah, yeah, I saw where you said that earlier. Also that you think the average Pittsburgher voter will be attracted to Peduto's "metrosexual" image. LOL LOL LOL LOL well, we're all entitled to different opinions I guess. Not sure that's really Peduto's image, but hey, why not. Kinda fun to picture the people I know there sitting in Ryan's Pub after work, listening to Led Zeppelin and yakkin' about jagoffs and the Stillers... and then I try to imagine them saying "I'm voting for Peduto because he's just so metrosexual."

Just my opinion, though--you can count the people I know there on two hands so what do I know? The few people I do know there have both feet firmly planted on the ground, and it's kind of hard for me to see them voting for image over substance-- but stranger things have happened.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-27-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
the average Pittsburgher voter will be attracted to Peduto's "metrosexual" image. LOL LOL LOL LOL well, we're all entitled to different opinions I guess. Not sure that's really Peduto's image, but hey, why not. Kinda fun to picture the people I know there sitting in Ryan's Pub after work, listening to Led Zeppelin and yakkin' about jagoffs and the Stillers... and then I try to imagine them saying "I'm voting for Peduto because he's just so metrosexual."
Peduto anysexual? We think not.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 AM

99 posts, read 147,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Right - It's the economy, stupid. The best thing a city like Pittsburgh can do is leave taxing, harassing businesses, etc. up to the state and Feds. People move to where there are jobs, the rest is usually secondary. That's why people left here in the first place. It wouldn't hurt to have a mayor who is somewhat libertarian. Unless he/she was super combative and wanted to dissolve what few few public services City government seems to provide somewhat adequately it could be interesting.
If it is all about the economy, who better to be our next mayor than the councilman from the district with the most growth?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,228,805 times
As far as I know I don't have anything against Peduto. I'm not sure how responsible he is for improvements in that part of town, either, though. East End has traditionally been a desirable place to live - it's where Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick lived, it's proximate to universities, one of which is a highly sophisticated center for software engineering - and was humming along nicely until the 1960s when Pittsburgh City government blessed everyone with urban renewal. Could be that the previous 50 years were just a kink.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
If it is all about the economy, who better to be our next mayor than the councilman from the district with the most growth?

If the councilmen had anything at all to do with economic growth in his district, that argument might have merit.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If the councilmen had anything at all to do with economic growth in his district, that argument might have merit.
I dont know how much he had to do with it, but you cannot point yo his record and say he has been bad for business.

With regards to your comment that you like Pittsburgh the way it is and it does not need to change, I am curious.

Do you think East Liberty and Lawrenceville were better 10 years ago when streetwalkers and drug dealers were much more prevalent? Just trying to get an idea of what Long time Burghers consider to be "Fine the way it is"

Old 04-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
I dont know how much he had to do with it, but you cannot point yo his record and say he has been bad for business.

With regards to your comment that you like Pittsburgh the way it is and it does not need to change, I am curious.

Do you think East Liberty and Lawrenceville were better 10 years ago when streetwalkers and drug dealers were much more prevalent? Just trying to get an idea of what Long time Burghers consider to be "Fine the way it is"

Didn't say Mr. Peduto was bad for business.

I just opined that progressive social policy doesn't mean anything as far as economic growth.

Further, neither of those districts are in Mr. Peduto's council district, and both improved on the presumably less socially permissive Mayor Ravenstahl.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:08 PM

That does not answer the Question. Do you think those neighborhoods are better? Btw what councilman has those neighbirhoods? Did he/she endorse a candidate yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh