Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Pittsburgh has kayaking, but it's not nearly as popular as it is down here in VA. For one thing, our season is much longer. I've already been out on the Potomac several times this year--up in Pittsburgh you can't really go kayaking until mid June. And Pittsburgh's rivers are just not that conducive to it (at least that's what I've heard, haven't tried it myself so I'm just going on hearsay. I hear there is some good kayaking to be found in some of the nearby parks, though).
Lol no... mid-June is when it starts getting uncomfortable being too hot and humid. People have been kayaking on the rivers for weeks and this is the perfect time of the year to do it. And the rivers are very conductive to all kinds of boating, as well as commerce, which is something the Potomac does not handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
Well, since you guys live there and I don't, I'll take your word on this. All I know is my friends who live there, who are kayakers, seem to think you should wait until June and they don't think Pittsburgh's rivers are great for kayaking. But maybe they're wrong, and I'm happy to agree that people who live there would know things like this better than I would.

Also, very true that the Potomac can't handle modern day commerce. It's way too shallow in places and has rapids/waterfalls. Boating in my neck of the woods is strictly recreational.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
I was interested in moving to Richmond area (west side suburbs actually) and subscribed to Richmond Magazine, which I have to say is very put together. In reading it, you would think that Richmond is the most creative, art mecca, hipster, foodie (every restauant is fabulous), outdoorsy city in the world. However, I had a very bad experience going from the airport to finding my hotel and ended up in a very bad area, which kind of ruined my vacation there. And each night on TV, there were stories of people getting shot (not mugged), their doors being broken down, people being robbed while getting off the bus, etc. right in the VCU neighborhood. The sports channels make vcu sound wonderful but I don't thing so. I have to admit I'm not much of an urban person anymore (NYC cured me of that). But the hype on Richmond is a little over the top. I understand they've come a long way since being a murder capital, but I wouldn't want to live there....course I'm older and prefer the burbs anyway. But, again, the hype is kind of misleading.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 PM

377 posts, read 652,032 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh has kayaking, but it's not nearly as popular as it is down here in VA. For one thing, our season is much longer. I've already been out on the Potomac several times this year--up in Pittsburgh you can't really go kayaking until mid June. And Pittsburgh's rivers are just not that conducive to it (at least that's what I've heard, haven't tried it myself so I'm just going on hearsay. I hear there is some good kayaking to be found in some of the nearby parks, though).

You can kayak on the river in Pittsburgh. I have done it a few times and recommend it to everyone. The views of the city are great. Kayak Pittsburgh also has special night trips during some of the firework games for pirates and 4th of july. The season started on May 4th I believe. All of the locations open up in June. Kayak Pittsburgh

Old 05-11-2013, 12:13 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I was interested in moving to Richmond area (west side suburbs actually) and subscribed to Richmond Magazine, which I have to say is very put together. In reading it, you would think that Richmond is the most creative, art mecca, hipster, foodie (every restauant is fabulous), outdoorsy city in the world. However, I had a very bad experience going from the airport to finding my hotel and ended up in a very bad area, which kind of ruined my vacation there. And each night on TV, there were stories of people getting shot (not mugged), their doors being broken down, people being robbed while getting off the bus, etc. right in the VCU neighborhood. The sports channels make vcu sound wonderful but I don't thing so. I have to admit I'm not much of an urban person anymore (NYC cured me of that). But the hype on Richmond is a little over the top. I understand they've come a long way since being a murder capital, but I wouldn't want to live there....course I'm older and prefer the burbs anyway. But, again, the hype is kind of misleading.
It's interesting. I think in the past, I've ALWAYS dismissed Richmond. Always associated it with crime, but don't know why. There are other cities I associate with crime that I actually do like quite a bit though - Philadelphia, for example.

I recently saw Richmond is registering high on the hipster lists and tattoos as well. It made me think maybe it's a hidden Austin or something. Then found out about 'The Fan'...and all those cool-looking housing! Beautiful! But, I'd ONLY be interested in that.

But, sounds like if crime is rampant in what I'd consider the 'only' desireable area (to me), that nullifies it quickly. Particularly when there are so many other interesting neighborhoods in other cities, including Pittsburgh, that also comes with more 'overall punch' along with their respective city.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I visited a friend in Richmond about a year ago, and I would say that the opposite is true -- they have tons of public resources along the rivers in a way that Pittsburgh is only beginning to... trails, parks, rafting, etc. We spent the majority of our time in Richmond in and around the river. It's possible that I'm jaded by being a native, but I literally can't remember the last time I, or most people I know, spent any significant time in or around the Mon, the Al, or the O.
Yeah, but treating the river as a park is separating itself from the city. Parks generally are places to get away from the city and closer to nature. Nothing wrong with that, Pittsburgh could do with more of it. But the river is not part of Richmond. From Google maps, the river appears to be a nature zone. And as I've said in other posts, Pittsburgh should have more shops, pubs, and restaurants along the river...The Strip is an ideal candidate.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Looks like crime has really decreased in Richmond over the last ten years.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2011...Lo-Hi_2011.pdf

Ranked #72 in crime now. As opposed to not even 10 years ago, when they were in the Top 10 nationally.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Quote:
Crime not only creeps into the Fan, that's where most of the crime is. Other parts of the city are actually quite safe, but the Fan is not.
Having lived in the Fan and now living about a mile from it, I don't agree with this at all. Most of the crime is typically around Shockoe Bottom, the Courts (e.g. Gilpin Court, etc.), and some areas in the East and South sides of the city. The north side to the east of Chamberlayne Ave also has a fair share of crime as well.

There are thefts and an occasional robbery or assault (lots of bars) in the Fan, but that doesn't equate to "most of the crime".

Quote:
Some parts of Richmond will make you think of the cliches of "being southern." Maybe more so than most other cities in the south--for many people there's a desire to stand out from northern VA, and they play up the southern bit accordingly. And the city has a "southern heritage" that they take pride in. Some people like that southern feel, others not so much. Your mileage may vary. If you're into civil war history you'll love it there.

Richmond is closer to a major metropolitan area, and it's common for people to go back and forth (some even2-3 times a month for things like meetings). Many people have 2 homes and regularly live in both DC metro area and Richmond. Richmond has more businesses that service federal contracts, and more people who travel worldwide all the time as part of their work. People in Richmond are more likely to live in numerous parts of the city, and to have lived in other cities across the US. This is a different feeling than Pittsburgh, which is somewhat far from other major cities and has many residents who live in the same neighborhood all their lives without venturing far from them. I'm not quite sure how to phrase it--the closest I can come to right now is Pittsburghians have a more "rooted" feeling, Richmonders move around more.

Pittsburgh's hills are prettier than Richmond's but I think Richmond's rivers are prettier than Pittsburgh's. Kayaking is better in VA, hiking is better in PA. Richmond gets hot in the summer, Pittsburgh gets dreary in the winter.

If you're interested in that part of VA and want older, interesting towns I'd check out places like Gloucester or Matthews. Maybe not as dense as you'd like, but definitely interesting & historic towns. Not much employment, though. And, to be honest, I don't think that part of VA is what you're seeking--not a lot of young people, and not quite the vibe that fits with your personality.
Maybe the bold is becoming more common, but it's not a mainstream thing; I do agree that people will commute between the two sometimes. However, the commute is brutal (95), and more and more people are full-on moving down from DC to get away from traffic and high COL.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,702 times
Yeah, I grew up in Richmond and will probably end up back there at some point, but they don't compare much. And the James River > any of PGH's 3, sorry.

Class III-IV whitewater dahntahn!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,106 times
Of course most of you are looking at the wrong rivers. The Yough is where the rafters are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh