Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

I signed an Affidavit that someone lived with me as proof of address for Pennsylvania. The DMV knew that she had only moved into my house days prior. She lived with us for 6 months and moved out of state two weeks ago. Do I have a responsibility to notify the DMV that she is no longer a resident of Pennsylvania? I kinda sorta feel like I do have a responsibility since I signed an Affidavit. She's an overall good kid. She's just an irresponsible spoiled rich kid who lives like a gypsy while "finding herself" on her parents' dime. I highly suspect she won't notify the DMV that she moved out of state because she doesn't stay at one address for very long. I'm wondering because have received some important legal mail for her with no way to forward it to her. She's not returning my voice, text and facebook messages asking her for an address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,559 times
Having moved around the country many times I never heard that one was required to report that you were no longer residing in a state to DMV. The incoming state typically nullified your license or Id when you went to get a new one. But it varied from state to state how quickly you even had to get a new license.

If she is not returning your calls you could return the mail with " moved..no forwarding address".

Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
I've never heard of such a form, but I really don't see how you have any further responsibility.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM

I know she won't get a driver's license in another state. She lived out West for over two years without switching her driver's license. She lost her Pennsylvania address when her parents moved to a southern state while she was living out West. It seems my address will be on her driver's license until she matures and settles down, which very well not happen for eternity.

I am torn between return to sender or forward to her parents who live out of state. I hesitate to forward the mail to her parents because she's sort of estranged from them and I know they'll open her mail. At the same time, I'm certain they paid for this law firm to represent her. Then there will be the upcoming mail from the DMV for a traffic violation she failed to appear at the magistrate's office for since the hearing date conflicted with her plans to move out west again.

She's not the first young adult I have helped out and had stay at my house, but she will be last.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Nah.

So she might have a PA license for a while with your address on it. Not a big deal. Worst that happens is...I dunno. Probably nothing with the license. More of a problem with bill collectors or something.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Then there will be the upcoming mail from the DMV for a traffic violation she failed to appear at the magistrate's office for since the hearing date conflicted with her plans to move out west again.
Oh, well, a known traffic violation. I guess that could bring some stuff to your house. But nothing too serious. You just say she moved out and that's it. There's no law that requires even the individual to notify the state that they are moving OUT.

In some municipalities there may be a law for landlords to notify the municipality of people moving out. I remember that in Emsworth, a paper I had to sign. But that's municipal so it has nothing to do with state DMV and licenses and such.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Nah.

So she might have a PA license for a while with your address on it. Not a big deal. Worst that happens is...I dunno. Probably nothing with the license. More of a problem with bill collectors or something.
Since she just got her license renewed, I will have this joy for the next four years. You're right, that's not eternity. It will seem like it!

Quote:
Oh, well, a known traffic violation. I guess that could bring some stuff to your house. But nothing too serious. You just say she moved out and that's it. There's no law that requires even the individual to notify the state that they are moving OUT.
I'm pretty much anticipating a constable showing up at my door someday for unpaid fines.

Or an officer trying to notify next of kin if she gets into a car accident, etc.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Well, there's one easy way to solve it: move.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Well, there's one easy way to solve it: move.
Funny! That would be great! I'm laughing at the thought of my husband's reaction. He'd move for any other reason, but he enjoys pointing out to me that I cause these problems via allowing these kids to live with us. That's how he shuts me up when I'm complaining. It's amazing my husband puts up with me and my being a bleeding heart. It's a darn good thing I majored in computer science and not social work. The needy are exasperating! I've learned my lesson. Nobody is moving into my house again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh