Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't mind train noise?

I live around three blocks (more or less) from an active train line. There are crossings a bit further from me, on 43rd and 48th. I can clearly hear the horns sometimes late at night, but it's far enough away it's more a soothing sound than anything.
I agree, growing up in Regent Square, I could hear the trains bleating as they ran through Edgewood, but at that distance it sounded almost like whale song.

Now I live practically right on top of the Busway, and it took me maybe a week to get used to the trains at that proximity. Now I hardly even notice them, and they certainly don't wake me up at night. Ambulances going to West Penn, on the other hand....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awm8 View Post
There have been a number of comments about train noise in Aspinwall, Sharpsburg, etc., but what about the Central Northside, Allegheny West, Manchester, etc.? It looks like there are fewer crossings there, but it's not possible to tell from a map whether there's actually lots of noise.

When I lived in 10 Allegheny Center hirise , I could certainly hear the trains from there- but the main noise was from the interstate highway and the police sirens rushing to the latest shooting in the early 90's.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 7,401 times
Having grown up in ASPINWALL (and living there now at age 72) I am really acclimated to the sound of trains. We have one active RR crossing that requires the trains to sound their warning horn (long, long, short, long) on approaching. BUT despite what I have read above, the train traffic has actually DECREASED in recent years and much of it is now scheduled for daylight hours. So if you WORK close to the tracks you might get annoyed by the train sounds but by the time you are 3 blocks away the sound is not very noticeable. Of course by then you will be hearing the CONSTANT sound of the traffic passing through town on the elevated Route 28. If you have a patio and you and you neighbors do outdoor "cookouts" and "get-togethers" you will have to "work around" the traffic sounds. Also we have an excellent volunteer fire department so yes, there is an occasional fire siren. Bottom line; it is well worth the slight inconveniences to live in Aspinwall.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:57 PM

654 posts, read 944,885 times
How can one not like the sound of a train horn, especially at night? I've always loved the sound of trains, as it's almost music-like to my ears.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,166 times
Smile Train noise

I grew up on N. Side , having to listen to people yell while walking down the street, or blasting the car radios all hours of the night, waking up to gun shots. I will take the train noise and train horns blowing at the wee hours of the morning any day. Its relaxing to me.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't mind train noise?

I live around three blocks (more or less) from an active train line. There are crossings a bit further from me, on 43rd and 48th. I can clearly hear the horns sometimes late at night, but it's far enough away it's more a soothing sound than anything.

Then again, I grew up along Main Street in my home town, and I find the sound of road noise in general soothing. Total quiet is irritating, because then I hear the ringing in my ears.
I agree with you. I rather hear the train whstles than people yelling at each other and shooting one another. I lived in neighborhoods where i would be waken up by bullets coming through my bedroom window.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 6,522 times
When I got to Pittsburgh it was like coming home, so it is with great regret that I'm leaving. Despite growing up in the absence of trains, I love the sound of the train whistle and moving along the tracks. And riding the buses. (Also never mind that dumb sidewalk post the other day, there's really nothing to complain about) Winter, too. Everything about Pittsburgh; it's beautiful. Then there are people who are bothered hearing a train a mile away, or are having a "REAL" hard time finding a place to live in a city with dozens of neighborhoods to suit all types. It's hard to comprehend.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
There is very little train noise in Sharpsburg, as there are NO train crossings in the neighborhood. There is a rather loud siren emanating from the VOL fire dept... if that bothers you. It seldom goes off, but can be jarring when it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh