Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times

Advertisements

I'd try to reschedule to allow more time just in case the interviewer is running late or the interview takes longer than you expected. I've been on interviews where at the end of the meeting they decided on the spur of the moment to have me meet with someone else in the company, usually a very good sign. Should that happen to you during your 1st appointment you don't want to feel rushed. I've also been on interviews where they have you meet with multiple people in the company as a matter of course. And, unless it's a lunch interview, you'll probably want to grab something to eat before your afternoon meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 15,213 times
Thanks everyone for the great information. i am arriving in Pittsburgh on June 8th and I am suppose to call the first interview a couple days in advance to confirm the appointment time so I might say something at that point also, plus i was thinking of arriving around 10:30 it might show my exuberance for the positon, and maybe I will be lucky to get in earlier than expected. And a very good idea to drive the route before hand and at least know the ways around. Once again thanks for the info. I am sure I will have other questions as I arrive also.

PS....i wish I could reply personally to each of your comments, but still working on understanding the set up of the forum

Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
don't show up extra early! it's very bad etiquette. it can actually make as bad of an impression as being late. the interviewer may feel obligated to see you when they were planning on doing other things. that's not a good thing.

i'd contact either or both of them NOW and ask if they can reschedule. and when you show up, don't walk in the door more than 15 minutes early, even if you have to wait in your car.

doing the drive is definitely a good idea. do it around the same time the day before if you can.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
don't show up extra early! it's very bad etiquette. it can actually make as bad of an impression as being late. the interviewer may feel obligated to see you when they were planning on doing other things. that's not a good thing.

i'd contact either or both of them NOW and ask if they can reschedule. and when you show up, don't walk in the door more than 15 minutes early, even if you have to wait in your car.

doing the drive is definitely a good idea. do it around the same time the day before if you can.
Thanks for the info....it has been a while since I have been on an interview so I am not aware of some the etiquette.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
A lot of good advice given, especially about showing up, no more than 15 minutes prior. As to the time frame, who knows, your first interview may start late, last long, and then you're looking at the clock, not a good idea. I would try to push the afternoon interview back, be honest and state the reason.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

I second that. It had never occurred to me that being extra early could be considered a bad thing until many year's ago when we had an opening in our department. My boss had an interview scheduled and the person showed up extra early. She was very *issed off. She simply didn't like it. I think my boss felt that had she been interviewing someone else, she wouldn't have wanted them to cross paths. And it made her feel pressured to rush through what she was doing because she knew the applicant was waiting.

Try to make your morning appt. earlier and/or your afternoon appt. later. You'll feel less rushed and you'll have a nice time cushion should things take longer than you anticipated.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have lived in Munhall, City of Pittsburgh, Scott Township and Mt. Lebanon. I know all the back roads in the South Hills. If I was traveling from Bridgeville to the Waterfront, I would take the Parkway unless I knew there was a major backup.
I happened to be in Crafton today around 12 noon and from there needed to go to Regent Square. From the Green Tree parkway entrance to the Edgewood exit, traveling through both Ft. Pitt and Squirrel Hill tunnels: 9 miles in 13 minutes. Average speed of 41 mph...I'll take that with no complaints.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I happened to be in Crafton today around 12 noon and from there needed to go to Regent Square. From the Green Tree parkway entrance to the Edgewood exit, traveling through both Ft. Pitt and Squirrel Hill tunnels: 9 miles in 13 minutes. Average speed of 41 mph...I'll take that with no complaints.
I drive that route fairly often and it can back up around noon due to roadwork, tunnels, and accidents. I've had it take 20+ minutes. I'd allow half an hour to be safe.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:55 PM

130 posts, read 163,540 times
If I were you, I'd change the time of one of them to avoid the needless stress of timing -- a job interview is stressful enough without adding other unnecessary stresses.

And in my opinion, telling them you have another interview with a different company makes you seem more in-demand, and could work in your favor (unless, of course, one of them is paying to fly you out for the interview).

Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
If I were you, I'd change the time of one of them to avoid the needless stress of timing -- a job interview is stressful enough without adding other unnecessary stresses.

And in my opinion, telling them you have another interview with a different company makes you seem more in-demand, and could work in your favor (unless, of course, one of them is paying to fly you out for the interview).
Thanks I did call the afternoon interview but the hiring person was not available till Friday, so I will call on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh