Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I feel that the judge was out of line.

I don't agree with what the people did, but if doing something stupid or silly as a parent is enough to have your custodial rights threatened they're going to need to expand that program in a hurry.
Did you not read the article? They were charged with child endangerment. He did them a favor.

The article isn't clear about custodial rights. The way it reads, the grandmother could have had full custody all along. It says the grandmother "will continue full custody," which implies that she had full custody prior to this happening. Or perhaps CPS gave the grandmother full custody after this occurred and this was just a criminal hearing for the child endangerment charges. I think the latter is most likely the most accurate. As I said, the Post Gazette needs to learn how to report facts better.

If you don't like what happened, blame the police and CPS. The magistrate was simply ruling on a criminal case that appeared before him in court. He gave them a way out. That's lenient, not harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
We should have kids dressed in bubble wrap all the time. Who ever grew up wearing a bike helmet? knee pads? Gloves? when riding a bike? The worst thing that ever happened to me riding a bike is what every guy can relate to: Hit the brakes too hard and hit the crossbar with the family jewels. We all survived.
I don't disagree. I can't stand that kids have to live in an overprotective bubble these days. However, bikes can be dangerous, especially when riding in traffic.

I posted this on the thread about riding from Lawrenceville at night:
I was married to a very experienced cyclist who simply did not get that others weren't as adventurous or experienced as he was. I eventually quit riding with him. He continued to take unnecessary risks and was hit by a car. Luckily, horrific as his injuries were, none were life threatening and there was no brain damage or spinal cord injury. He had three surgeries and was in intensive care for 11 days. His face, arm, and leg were smashed. He was in a wheelchair and then a walker for a few months. For the first few weeks after he got home I had to clean his injuries and give him shots in his abdomen twice a day to prevent blood clots. About a year after the accident he met the paramedics who were on the scene. Every one of them was amazed that he lived because his injuries looked so bad at the time. On top of everything else when the accident occurred he had just been fired from his job and had no health insurance. $250,000 in medical bills.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
We should have kids dressed in bubble wrap all the time. Who ever grew up wearing a bike helmet? knee pads? Gloves? when riding a bike? The worst thing that ever happened to me riding a bike is what every guy can relate to: Hit the brakes too hard and hit the crossbar with the family jewels. We all survived.
You're starting to sound like h_curtis. You two should grab a drink!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You're starting to sound like h_curtis. You two should grab a drink!

Only if there is no TV in the bar.

My point, this government keeps trying to protect us through bs laws. Did you wear a helmet riding a bike while growing up? Did you jump off a swing? When you where on the low end of the teeter totter did you ever jump off to prick your brother?

Sorry, old guy rant.

Last edited by Copanut; 06-17-2013 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: poor spilling

Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Don't even get me started on helmets. We learned the hard way this past winter that some helmets cause concussions.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Its because motorcycles are safe, fun, and nothing bad ever happens on them.
Are you being sarcastic or serious? It's hard to tell. I might agree with you depending on which.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
I think if this case had not hit the Internet it would have been a non issue...maybe a cop pulling them over with an encouragement to put the kid in the cab.

As for helmets...I always wear mine and have had my head saved by them a few times as an adult. I think as a kid I was more rubbery and just bounced back. And when i was mountain biking I had pads on arms too..saved several likely broken bones. My husband has suggested bubble wrapping me just for in house walking...lets just say I am above average in accident prone.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM

510 posts, read 905,774 times
Regardless of whether one thinks the judge was fair or harsh, I have to question the effectiveness of parenting classes. I certainly haven't seen any data that indicates they are effective, at least when they are mandatory. I am not sure what the curriculum would look like although I assume it focuses on understanding child development (something everyone should be taught in school, in my opinion).
I understand that it can be difficult to know what to do when parents seem to be exercising poor judgement.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
I think if this case had not hit the Internet it would have been a non issue...maybe a cop pulling them over with an encouragement to put the kid in the cab.
The cop pulled them over and charged them with child endangerment long before this hit the internet.

It didn't make the internet until after it went to court and the magistrate sent them to parenting class.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
As for helmets...I always wear mine and have had my head saved by them a few times as an adult. I think as a kid I was more rubbery and just bounced back. And when i was mountain biking I had pads on arms too..saved several likely broken bones. My husband has suggested bubble wrapping me just for in house walking...lets just say I am above average in accident prone.
I have a friend who put a helmet on her granddaughter whenever she babysat her! She was the full time childcare provider while the parents worked. They had a big mountain dog. She was afraid it would knock her over while she was carrying the child. She did this until the child was 3 years old. That's a lot of time in a helmet! I told her not to be surprised if her granddaughter grew up to be the next Evil Kenevil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh