Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times

Advertisements

I have an old friend who lost his job in another city and needed a place to stay, so I said he could stay in my guest bedroom while he was looking for a job and an apartment in Pittsburgh. Well, two months have passed and, in spite of the fact that he has had a job for two months, I can't seem to persuade him to move out into his own place. He has a million excuses, job stress, relationship stresses, money, etc.

After doing some research, it seems that there are many different opinions about how to get rid of a long-term house guest. Some people say you can give written notice to vacate, and if they don't move within that time period, you can call the police and have them assist. Others say you have to give written notice, then if they do not move, file formal eviction procedure through the courts. Other people say you can just throw their crap out and lock the doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Might be easier to tell him that he is now a roommate, not a guest, and as such must pay rent, due immediately. Then tell him the rent is some astronomically high figure.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Its my understanding that you have to formally evict him with a court order.

However, if this individual is a former or current sex partner, you can get a Protection from Abuse order and have him chucked out pretty quickly.

A third alternative, if he refuses to leave, would be to leave yourself which isn't very practical since you own the place. You don't have to bring him with you to the new place and the current landlord isn't required to keep him.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:08 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,042 times
Have you told him firmly he needs to go....and given him a date. Kind of sounds like you you gently suggested it. I always set a maximum date for roommates and made sure they had a plan B before they stayed. Perhaps a serious conversation before going the legal route. If you have done this already I would get even more firm.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 AM

146 posts, read 216,088 times
I think the first step is to determine what his actual legal status is within your home--is he considered a houseguest or a tenant? Has he ever given you any kind of compensation for staying in your house, whether it's rent, money to help out with utilities, etc.?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I attempted to have the serious discussion a couple of times, but he is evasive, and then come the excuses of why he can't leave. I have been sending him listings for apartments, but there are always reasons he comes up with for why he can't rent these places.

He hasn't compensated me at all for living here. Occasionally, he will wash his own dishes.

And I'm not going to leave my own house that I own, so that isn't an option.

Thanks for the replies! I feel like I should just be able to say get the hell out, but I don't want to make an enemy of someone living in my house who may be legally entitled to stay (even though he's a guest!). Also, I don't want to ruin a friendship.

My last resort is to invite his psycho stalker ex over for tea. That might get him to move.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 06-23-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Inform him that since he now has a job he has to pay his fair share and charge him at least half of the rent, utilities. Also inform him he must buy his own food and clean up after himself. And most importantly give him written notice that he has 30 days to vacate.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabinekotaro View Post
I think the first step is to determine what his actual legal status is within your home--is he considered a houseguest or a tenant? Has he ever given you any kind of compensation for staying in your house, whether it's rent, money to help out with utilities, etc.?
It really doesn't matter if he's a tenant or not. Law requires notice to evict. Even parents need to do this if they want their young adult children to move out. Many just kick them into the street, but that's not following the law.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It really doesn't matter if he's a tenant or not. Law requires notice to evict. Even parents need to do this if they want their young adult children to move out. Many just kick them into the street, but that's not following the law.
This is correct. Biggest mistake of my life, well top 3 at least, was letting my wife's sister and her family move in with us because they lost their house. Six months turned into three years. Husband was a closet drug addict and I caught him stealing. I installed cameras and had video evidence. Police told me I had to go to court and file eviction paperwork to get them out.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I attempted to have the serious discussion a couple of times, but he is evasive, and then come the excuses of why he can't leave. I have been sending him listings for apartments, but there are always reasons he comes up with for why he can't rent these places.
You're being too nice and he's taking advantage of you. You need to be more direct. You need to say, "I was glad to help you out when you were going through difficult time, but now you have a job so you need to move out by X date." When he gives you an excuse, you immediately reply, "I still need you to move out by X date. You'll have to work on that problem at your own place." Just keep repeating that over and over again.

If you want to go the legal route, put your notice in writing. Talk to the magistrate's office about how to go about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh