Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM

654 posts, read 945,775 times

Advertisements

Here are two very old, extremely cute houses in Spring Garden that I wish I had the money to purchase and have restored. Just a few days ago, I walked right by them, and although decayed, they truly do have character. I imagine they require a lot of work, a great financial investment too, but they're well worth it. If I had to guess, I'd say they're from the late 19th century--quite old! I hope someone purchases them, invests the money and "sweat equity", and makes them shine again.

1001 High, Springhill Township, PA 15212 (MLS# 968622) - Springhill Township PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

1003 High, Springhill Township, PA 15212 (MLS# 968627) - Springhill Township PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

I never did give up on Pittsburgh. I found cheap rent in Spring Hill, and I'm quite content. I quite like Spring Hill, Spring Garden, and East Deutschtown. I think these neighborhoods have great potential. Spring Hill's only negative, in my opinion, is that project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,969,419 times
Looks like they have had some interior work done already. They are very cute. Lots of great places like this in that area.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,978 times
I've got to say that I'm curious what you prefer about Spring Hill to Brighton Heights. Don't get me wrong -- they both have their charms, but it seems to me that the same concerns you had with Brighton Heights also exist in Spring Hill?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Well, firstly, many parts of Spring Hill have magnificent views. Secondly, much of Spring Hill, Spring Garden, and East Deutschtown have the sort of architecture I like. Thirdly, these neighborhoods are closer to downtown. Also, my own working-class ancestors from Germany, Poland, and Lithuania settled in areas in northeastern PA and NJ not at all dissimilar from Spring Garden and East Deutschtown. Those neighborhoods also appeal to me for that reason.

I love these two houses. I just don't know if they were be money pits or not. I don't know if it's a risk I can take, especially since I don't have a lot of money to begin with.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
If you're still willing to get up to $60K in price, $40K of work on those homes could go a long way. Definitely to getting them livable I expect (in the broadest sense of the word, they might even be livable as-is). They could be "money pits", but it depends how you look at it. If it is someplace you'll live in for a very long time, and you have a passion out of continuing to fix it up while living there, it could be worth it.

If you're bored sometime, go check out Construction Junction in N. Point Breeze. They take donated building materials and sell them relatively cheaply. It's like the Goodwill version of Home Depot. Going there could give you some inspiration for how to fix up homes like these and give you an idea on how much period-appropriate parts would cost.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,587,480 times

The drain/vent pipe coming down next to the recliner is very charming.

I wouldn't touch these unless you were a contractor with the knowledge on how to do everything on your own, or you have a ton of money that you're willing to put in them. What they're not showing (the bedrooms, bathrooms) is a bad sign. The double exterior doors in the front on the first link is as well. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the primary means of accessing the basement.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I've got to say that I'm curious what you prefer about Spring Hill to Brighton Heights. Don't get me wrong -- they both have their charms, but it seems to me that the same concerns you had with Brighton Heights also exist in Spring Hill?
Not really if you're referring to crime.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post

I wouldn't touch these unless you were a contractor with the knowledge on how to do everything on your own, or you have a ton of money that you're willing to put in them. What they're not showing (the bedrooms, bathrooms) is a bad sign. The double exterior doors in the front on the first link is as well. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the primary means of accessing the basement.
I like that pipe, too. It's quite primitive, which I think is a good thing. The problem is, I'm not a contractor, nor do I have any knowledge of how to fix old houses. Also, I don't have deep pockets. Taken together, those factors pretty much preclude me from purchasing these homes or something similar. Someday, however, that may change. Who knows, perhaps one day I'll have plenty of money, and with some of that money, be in a position to restore one (or even many) of these folksy little historically significant homes.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
I like that pipe, too. It's quite primitive, which I think is a good thing. The problem is, I'm not a contractor, nor do I have any knowledge of how to fix old houses. Also, I don't have deep pockets. Taken together, those factors pretty much preclude me from purchasing these homes or something similar. Someday, however, that may change. Who knows, perhaps one day I'll have plenty of money, and with some of that money, be in a position to restore one (or even many) of these folksy little historically significant homes.
I'm not a contractor either, but I can tell you the road to acquiring those skills while living in the home is an arduous and unpleasant one.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
That's very easy and inexpensive to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh