Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What's wrong with your dog, Hopes?
In the past few months, he has been deteriorating fast. His hind legs are getting weaker and weaker by the day. His fur is getting all weird. He has a billion other symptoms. This all started shortly after being on a steroid. I have been trying to get a vet to test for Lymes but they bushed me off. Now I think it might be Cushing's. I don't know what he has, but I want a vet who cares to figure it out before it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan View Post
Northview Animal Hospital may be able to help you. They provide some more advanced services including emergency care. I saw under primary care they have listed allergies and itchy skin which may mean they cover what you are looking for whether it's allergy related or not. They are open 24/7 but extra fees apply if you go there outside there normal office hours/appointments.

Veterinary Services in Pittsburgh, PA | VCA Northview Animal Hospital Specialty Referral Center
Thanks. This is the place I have been using for the past three years. We have an appointment next week.

I plan to really push the vet to look at the symptoms as a whole instead of continuing to treat them as separate illnesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
I don't know if you've had good service from them in the past and this is just an anomaly, but your vet doesn't sound very responsive based on the details in this thread. I know I wouldn't be happy. I don't really understand why they wouldn't test for these things when you've asked, I know my vet at Robinson Animal Hospital wouldn't hesitate to follow up on different things.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:41 PM

65 posts, read 87,863 times
Sometimes there are things that owners pick up on that a vet won't be able to see during a vet visit which is a shame if they aren't listening to you. I hope they figure something out/you are able to find someone who will help you out. If you ask for a lyme disease test they should do it without question. I was under the impression that many vets are really pushing testing/vaccination for that right now.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Could be you really just need another regular vet first before making a long trip to a university clinic. Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. Unfortunately I don't have a great rec for you since mine only sees cats. But there are any number of good vets in town I think.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan View Post
If you ask for a lyme disease test they should do it without question. I was under the impression that many vets are really pushing testing/vaccination for that right now.
Yeah, my dogs get the "Snap 4 DX" test every year, it's pretty cheap, and tests for most tick-borne diseases (including Lyme), heartworm, and a couple other parasite-based things. You find out the results within minutes too, at least at my vet's office. My vets don't push it hard if an owner doesn't consider it necessary, but they'll certainly do it without hesitation if you ask for it.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:22 PM

I'm not pleased. I switched to them two years ago because I wasn't happy with how my vet was treating my Labrador's degenerative myelopathy. I had used that vet since I was a teenager. He's super weird and got weirder. At first it seemed they were on the same page with me for the degenerative myelopathy, but the vet didn't notate her records and I had problems getting them to continue the treatment plan we agreed upon. I ended up switching to a vet in Evan's City for the Labrador. He died last spring.

I continued using them for my basset because he was healthy, except for allergies. Everything went downhill within the past few months. Because the practice is so big, he hasn't been seen by the same vet for all of the visits we've had this year. I tried following one that I liked over to the Duncan location, but he has been only focused on the latest symptoms without bothering to look deeper. One did run blood work when I asked, just a senior panel though, and it indicated Addison's. I paid a crazy amount of money for the Addison's test and he didn't have Addison's. I was told to wait until he his next well visit and they'd check his blood levels again. Meanwhile he's just getting worse and worse. Keep in mind, this is all within the past two months. I'm actively seeking someone who will help figure it out before it's too late.

I have an appointment with an older vet who works part time next week. I'm hoping her experience will provide better results. I was thinking of heading back to Evans City, but it will make better sense to head to a university if I don't get cooperation.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:30 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was thinking of heading back to Evans City, but it will make better sense to head to a university if I don't get cooperation.
My friends in Philadelphia's dog was brought back to life by their vet at the Penn Vet Hospital. They really thought she was going to die.

Ryan-VHUP

Old 07-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Jay. I'll go wherever necessary. He deserves the best.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Penn is definitely excellent, only have ever heard great things, and my cat vet whom I generally liked graduated from there.

Long drive! Tough thing to decide if necessary. Having been through an end of life type illness with a pet recently, I can say I personally wasn't looking for such measures. But, it's also a bit different with a dog in that in most cases they can handle a road trip a lot better. Take a cat on a long road trip and you're only ever stressing them more.

Definitely was crossing my mind about vet second opinions though, and I was considering doing that locally.

With any luck, you'll have some more satisfying vet interaction next week.

BTW, if Cushing's, you're looking for someone dealing with endocrine disorders. PVSEC has this listed specifically, for what it's worth: Internal Medicine Procedures - Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Center

Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 PM

If I was at end of life stages, I wouldn't take such extraordinary measures. My problem is I have no diagnosis. I fear it may be something that can be corrected if caught early enough. I just don't know what it is yet and that's worrying me because some diseases, like Lyme's, can be completely reversed if caught in time. The not knowing is driving me crazy.

Thanks for the info on the Camp Horne place. I hope the vet is more receptive to figuring this out next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh