Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times

Advertisements

down here in VA in areas that Comcast serves (my area its between cox and Verizon of which I have Verizon) all I hear is terrible things about Comcast.

I saw their double play bundle for tv/internet for 69.99 for 12 months and was curious as to what sort of hidden fees they might add and how much I can expect this rate to jack up after a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Comcast has a complicated fee schedule, and constantly changing different offers with different prices.

The price will probably go up a lot- to at least $100, but if you call them back up, they have different deals that they can offer and will.

I have had no problem with the actual service from Comcast, or getting them on the phone. They have long lines at their Corliss offices however, if you have to go down.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:23 PM

i know they want to lock people up to 2 year deals, but unlike Verizon they only offer those deals for the first year. So i was wondering if i did lock in for two, would i be able to negotiate lower prices if i see the prices went up too much without having to renew for 2 years?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Most of the deals they have offered me over the years are one-year deals that I could cancel if I wanted to.

Sure, they want to keep you onboard for as long as possible as any cable outfit would want to.

And they do have different deals for different lengths of time they can offer.

Its certainly to their benefit to negotiate, they don't want to have to send someone out to turn you off and they know that they might not get you back as it is a hassle to change for the customer.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM

i see they charge an installation fee. To me it's weird since everyone here doesn't and i wonder if i can negotiate that $35.

yeah im on a budget that's why im asking.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM

They have some pretty low priced service, I think its less than $20 for basic cable with none too many channels like my mother has. I think she has like a dozen stations tops but she figures she can only watch one at a time.

Adding different packages can build up the price pretty quickly.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 PM

well i need internet and that's like 50/mo figured for 70 id get some tv too lol.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 PM

on a side note: not sure if you are a football fan, however being from the suburbs of dc on FOX the nfc channel, i see the redskins/dallas/giants games(less eagles play the skins but rarely) and cbs is afc so we get the ravens and steelers games, unless they play on SNF/MNF or each other.

does fox broadcast eagles games in PGH? it be nice to no longer have to deal with watching the redskins and be able to finally see my eagles games on tv more often.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
on a side note: not sure if you are a football fan, however being from the suburbs of dc on FOX the nfc channel, i see the redskins/dallas/giants games(less eagles play the skins but rarely) and cbs is afc so we get the ravens and steelers games, unless they play on SNF/MNF or each other.

does fox broadcast eagles games in PGH? it be nice to no longer have to deal with watching the redskins and be able to finally see my eagles games on tv more often.
Fox tends to air a movie or something rather than an NFC game. No sense trying to go up against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, there's more non-NFL fans than there are non-Steelers fans. If it's not at the same time as the Steelers game you have a decent chance of catching the Eagles, though.

If you just want basic cable, you can get by pretty easily with an antenna here. I get a little over 20 HD stations with regular old rabbit ears that cost like $15. Comcast will charge you extra for multiple boxes, HD, and modem/router rental. You can supply your own router. I got a nice modem/router combo for $80 and am avoiding the $7/month rental charge, but you can get a basic cable modem for $20 online.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Fox tends to air a movie or something rather than an NFC game. No sense trying to go up against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, there's more non-NFL fans than there are non-Steelers fans. If it's not at the same time as the Steelers game you have a decent chance of catching the Eagles, though.

If you just want basic cable, you can get by pretty easily with an antenna here. I get a little over 20 HD stations with regular old rabbit ears that cost like $15. Comcast will charge you extra for multiple boxes, HD, and modem/router rental. You can supply your own router. I got a nice modem/router combo for $80 and am avoiding the $7/month rental charge, but you can get a basic cable modem for $20 online.
do you know by chance what Comcast uses for modems? docsys 3.0?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh