Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:06 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Broken water meters and billing disputes have ballooned into a more than $30 million problem for the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority.

The authority had $32.3 million in unpaid water and sewer bills on its books. But it won't collect the money or shut off accounts until it figures out what the almost 45,000 delinquent residential and commercial accounts owe on water or sewer payments or both, said Kent Lindsay, the authority's finance director.

Pittsburgh water authority set back $32M by unpaid accounts | TribLIVE
I remember SCR was having problems with his water bill a few months ago. Seems he's not the only one!
It seems PWSA is as competent as the rest of city government..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:11 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I remember SCR was having problems with his water bill a few months ago. Seems he's not the only one!
True dat. The debt and incompetence comes as no surprise...but it's shameful that those in charge stay in charge. Anybody outside of a government job would be terminated.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:14 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
I received no water bill from July-December then received 6 in the same envelope in December

Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I received no water bill from July-December then received 6 in the same envelope in December
Probably just got back from a 6 month hiatus/vacation.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:50 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Less competent than government, at least Pittsburgh government.

My soon-to-be-former employer has not had a meter reading since August 2014. Every bill since then has been an estimate. As we're closing the account shortly, PGH2O is now giving us an "estimate" on actual usage that is several times our regular monthly bill.

I was told by more than one PGH2O rep to simply appeal the bill when we do receive it. An appeal is automatically considered when a business (or consumer) has not had an actual meter reading for more than a year. In those cases, typically 50% of the bill is forgiven.

That's just nuts. It doesn't provide cost certainty for businesses or consumers, nor should it be that difficult to do a meter reading. It's never been a problem in any other city or state I've lived or worked in.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
Ask any realtor in pittsburgh or anyone who bought or sold a house in the past two years how bad PWSA is. They have screwed up the final bills and the transfer of responsibility on almost every transaction I did in 2015. The way they operate boggles my mind.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Their billing system is all screwed up. They changed meters at some point in the spring and I didn't get a bill all summer and then got one in the fall which said that I could make partial payments through December if I wanted to since they hadn't billed me, but it wasn't that much, so I paid it. I haven't received a bill since.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
No issues out in this suburb. We are lucky to have our own water authority though. Likely all bills are paid on time out this way. That is one really bad thing about the city. The amount of poverty just makes it hard to keep everything going. I am hoping things turn around when East Liberty changes into something a little better. That should help in the money department with the big 3% wage tax money. We can only hope for city residents.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
No issues out in this suburb. We are lucky to have our own water authority though. Likely all bills are paid on time out this way. That is one really bad thing about the city. The amount of poverty just makes it hard to keep everything going. I am hoping things turn around when East Liberty changes into something a little better. That should help in the money department with the big 3% wage tax money. We can only hope for city residents.
You do realize this is not an issue of people not paying their bills, but one of incompetence by an authority that has not been properly billing or sending out bills at all in many cases, right? But it's ok, because poverty. Poverty is always the issue if you live in the city. The deadbeats aren't paying their bills that aren't being sent to them.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Same issues, even though I have PWSA for sewer but not water, as Brookline is served by Penn American Water. I got a bill in April for the normal amount, then nothing until October when I had to pay six months at one time, then one bill arrived normally for November, and now nothing again. The six month bill was correct, so mine is not an issue with the wrong amount, just that I never get a bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh