Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times

Advertisements

i think most of you know ill be near stanton ave/n.negley and was wondering of some places i can go grab a cold one, place to eat that is near my place. I figured i'd try to find something close to home and then eventually branch out (once i learn just what the other areas are, how far they are,etc lol).

i was told if i wanted a piece of nova, to go to the waterfront but im not sure how far that is. i thought it was near carson st where supposed bunch of duquesne college kid to for their drinking?

ill have nothing to do until i find a part-time job somewhere (and until classes begin at pitt). somewhere a southern guy like me can go in, relax and not need to worry for my back. thanks!

oh and the "zoo" thing is something friend of mine in the burbs call it. "you are livin by the ZOO man". i take it the area near the zoo isnt a good area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:47 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i think most of you know ill be near stanton ave/n.negley and was wondering of some places i can go grab a cold one, place to eat that is near my place. I figured i'd try to find something close to home and then eventually branch out (once i learn just what the other areas are, how far they are,etc lol).

i was told if i wanted a piece of nova, to go to the waterfront but im not sure how far that is. i thought it was near carson st where supposed bunch of duquesne college kid to for their drinking?

ill have nothing to do until i find a part-time job somewhere (and until classes begin at pitt). somewhere a southern guy like me can go in, relax and not need to worry for my back. thanks!

oh and the "zoo" thing is something friend of mine in the burbs call it. "you are livin by the ZOO man". i take it the area near the zoo isnt a good area?
Maybe they meant the Waterworks which is on that side of town. The Waterfront is in Homestead. On Carson St its the SouthSide Works which usually trends a bit older the other parts of Carson St.

None of those options should be a first choice to grab a cold one & chill out in my opinion though (except maybe the southside works) compared to options closer to you in the east end (shadyside, regent sq, east liberty - or a bit further in Lawrenceville, SouthSide or even downtown) in my opinion.
Its not NOVA but much better options for a younger person

Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM

54 posts, read 50,853 times
The zoo is in Highland Park, which is a fantastic neighborhood. Been here about 8 years with nothing remotely close to an issue. Depending on which way you're coming from, you may come through East Liberty, which is still transitional. But definitely not unsafe or anything.

Not much of a bar scene. The business district is on Bryant Street, with some nice restaurants mostly. Park Bruges is my favorite. You can find some bars (dive to upscale) in Shadyside, which is pretty close (10-15 min).

Waterfront is about 20-30 minutes from here. It's sort of on the same road as Carson St. but very much not in the same area. More of a strip mall/family vibe at Waterfront - couple of restaurants, movie theater, etc. Carson (South Side) is the college/drinking/clubs part of town for sure.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I don't know what they meant by "a slice of NoVA", but being that I'm also a transplant from Fairfax County I'm going to presume they were trying to steer you towards "lifestyle centers" in lieu of traditional downtown areas. South Side Works, which anchors the east end of Carson Street in South Side at the base of the Hot Metal Bridge, is very reminiscent of a larger Fairfax Corner or a smaller Reston Town Center (shorter buildings). It has a central green space area with jumping fountains for kiddos to splash around in, a movie theater, chain restaurants (i.e. Cheesecake Factory, Claddagh, Hofbrauhaus, etc.), retail chains (H&M, Urban Outfitters, Sur la Table, REI, etc.), and hotels, all surrounded by a sea of apartments/condos, as well as offices (including the large HQ of American Eagle Outfitters). There are also some independent places thrown into the mix for good measure, such as Emiliano's, Wings over Pittsburgh, and a few more. Also here are Aldi, L.A. Fitness, and a very nice Goodwill Store. The clientele of South Side Works trends upper-middle-class, just like Fairfax Corner or Reston Town Center.

The Waterfront (east of South Side and straddling the communities of West Homestead, Homestead, and Munhall) is by and large very car-dominated and not nearly as conducive to strolling or walking as South Side Works. There's a small "walkable" area around a small green space with some merchants and bars/restaurants. There's also a Dave & Buster's, P.F. Chang's, Loews/AMC Theater (very nice), Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, Macy's, and a comedy club as anchors in that little "walkable" area. To the west is Costco, which borders a waterpark. To the east is a long strip of bix-box stores (Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Giant Eagle Grocery, Target, Lowe's, etc.) Outlining the perimeter are some free-standing restaurants such as Chick-Fil-A, Red Robin, Eat 'n Puke, T.G.I. Friday's, Longhorn Steakhouse, etc. There is also an upscale apartment complex here, although it sort of misses the "mixed-use" mark since it's very unpleasant to access the retail/entertainment parts of the Waterfront by anything other than a car from there.

Opposite Downtown on the "South Shore" (as much as it pains me to call a riverbank a "shore") you'll find Station Square. This complex is divided into two sections. The one closest to South Side has a long strip of night clubs, although there's been some violence there as of late due to the clientele trending on the trashier side. The other part is home to Hard Rock Cafe, Buca di Beppo, Joe's Crab Shack, Texas de Brazil, a hotel, offices, a sad-looking small indoor mall (that does have a good wine store that can also be found at the Waterfront), and is adjacent to the Riverhounds' (professional soccer) new Highmark Stadium. You can also board dinner cruises here, along with "ducky" tours and Segway tours.

I know the East End like the back of my hand due to my delivery position. You're in a fairly residential part of town (assuming you're actually nearer to Stanton & Chislett, which I believe you are). Anything "exciting" can be walkable, but it will be a long walk. You can walk to Bloomfield in about a half-hour via Chislett to Black to Mossfield to Penn and then cutting down a side street like Pearl to Liberty Avenue. You can walk to the Bryant Street business district in Highland Park in about 20 minutes. I'll give this business district credit for trying to build itself up from the ashes (East Liberty really stole much of its thunder), but it's still anemic, in my opinion. We like Smiling Banana Leaf (restaurant), Tazza D'Oro (coffeeshop), and Bryant Street Market. I've heard good things about Park Brugges (restaurant). Otherwise there's not much else to draw those who don't live nearby in. Highland Park itself (the park, not the neighborhood) is one of my favorite in the city, and we take our demanding Dachshund here frequently for walks. There's usually a nice lady that sells shaved ices at the main entrance near North Highland Avenue on warmer days for a tasty treat, too! I love running around the reservoir.

You can walk down Negley into East Liberty and Friendship to access Aldi, Crazy Mocha, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Target, Home Depot, Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, CVS, lots of banks, Tana Ethiopian, BRGR, Spoon, Pizza Sola, Union Pig & Chicken, Station Street Hot Dogs, Sharp Edge, Avenue B Restaurant, Wendy's, and much more within about a half-hour to forty minutes.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't know what they meant by "a slice of NoVA", but being that I'm also a transplant from Fairfax County I'm going to presume they were trying to steer you towards "lifestyle centers" in lieu of traditional downtown areas. South Side Works, which anchors the east end of Carson Street in South Side at the base of the Hot Metal Bridge, is very reminiscent of a larger Fairfax Corner or a smaller Reston Town Center (shorter buildings). It has a central green space area with jumping fountains for kiddos to splash around in, a movie theater, chain restaurants (i.e. Cheesecake Factory, Claddagh, Hofbrauhaus, etc.), retail chains (H&M, Urban Outfitters, Sur la Table, REI, etc.), and hotels, all surrounded by a sea of apartments/condos, as well as offices (including the large HQ of American Eagle Outfitters). There are also some independent places thrown into the mix for good measure, such as Emiliano's, Wings over Pittsburgh, and a few more. Also here are Aldi, L.A. Fitness, and a very nice Goodwill Store. The clientele of South Side Works trends upper-middle-class, just like Fairfax Corner or Reston Town Center.

The Waterfront (east of South Side and straddling the communities of West Homestead, Homestead, and Munhall) is by and large very car-dominated and not nearly as conducive to strolling or walking as South Side Works. There's a small "walkable" area around a small green space with some merchants and bars/restaurants. There's also a Dave & Buster's, P.F. Chang's, Loews/AMC Theater (very nice), Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, Macy's, and a comedy club as anchors in that little "walkable" area. To the west is Costco, which borders a waterpark. To the east is a long strip of bix-box stores (Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Giant Eagle Grocery, Target, Lowe's, etc.) Outlining the perimeter are some free-standing restaurants such as Chick-Fil-A, Red Robin, Eat 'n Puke, T.G.I. Friday's, Longhorn Steakhouse, etc. There is also an upscale apartment complex here, although it sort of misses the "mixed-use" mark since it's very unpleasant to access the retail/entertainment parts of the Waterfront by anything other than a car from there.

Opposite Downtown on the "South Shore" (as much as it pains me to call a riverbank a "shore") you'll find Station Square. This complex is divided into two sections. The one closest to South Side has a long strip of night clubs, although there's been some violence there as of late due to the clientele trending on the trashier side. The other part is home to Hard Rock Cafe, Buca di Beppo, Joe's Crab Shack, Texas de Brazil, a hotel, offices, a sad-looking small indoor mall (that does have a good wine store that can also be found at the Waterfront), and is adjacent to the Riverhounds' (professional soccer) new Highmark Stadium. You can also board dinner cruises here, along with "ducky" tours and Segway tours.

I know the East End like the back of my hand due to my delivery position. You're in a fairly residential part of town (assuming you're actually nearer to Stanton & Chislett, which I believe you are). Anything "exciting" can be walkable, but it will be a long walk. You can walk to Bloomfield in about a half-hour via Chislett to Black to Mossfield to Penn and then cutting down a side street like Pearl to Liberty Avenue. You can walk to the Bryant Street business district in Highland Park in about 20 minutes. I'll give this business district credit for trying to build itself up from the ashes (East Liberty really stole much of its thunder), but it's still anemic, in my opinion. We like Smiling Banana Leaf (restaurant), Tazza D'Oro (coffeeshop), and Bryant Street Market. I've heard good things about Park Brugges (restaurant). Otherwise there's not much else to draw those who don't live nearby in. Highland Park itself (the park, not the neighborhood) is one of my favorite in the city, and we take our demanding Dachshund here frequently for walks. There's usually a nice lady that sells shaved ices at the main entrance near North Highland Avenue on warmer days for a tasty treat, too! I love running around the reservoir.

You can walk down Negley into East Liberty and Friendship to access Aldi, Crazy Mocha, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Target, Home Depot, Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, CVS, lots of banks, Tana Ethiopian, BRGR, Spoon, Pizza Sola, Union Pig & Chicken, Station Street Hot Dogs, Sharp Edge, Avenue B Restaurant, Wendy's, and much more within about a half-hour to forty minutes.

thanks. yeah i saw i was close to the aldi. as i was on baum going to make a left onto negley, i caught myself wondering "where is the closest gas station?" and then i saw a shell there lol. ideally i dont want to drive more than 20 mins for a few drinks.

on a side note, any close beer/liquor distributors near there? figured id stock up on my own stuff and have a few out on town.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
thanks. yeah i saw i was close to the aldi. as i was on baum going to make a left onto negley, i caught myself wondering "where is the closest gas station?" and then i saw a shell there lol. ideally i dont want to drive more than 20 mins for a few drinks.

on a side note, any close beer/liquor distributors near there? figured id stock up on my own stuff and have a few out on town.
There's a beer distributor on Penn Avenue, just west of Negley Avenue. It's roughly across the street from Verde Restaurant (the big green building near Penn & Negley).

Pistella Beer Distributors - Friendship - Pittsburgh, PA

In the shopping center by Whole Foods is, in my humble opinion, the best wine & spirits store in the city.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There's a beer distributor on Penn Avenue, just west of Negley Avenue. It's roughly across the street from Verde Restaurant (the big green building near Penn & Negley).

Pistella Beer Distributors - Friendship - Pittsburgh, PA

In the shopping center by Whole Foods is, in my humble opinion, the best wine & spirits store in the city.
i didnt see whole foods as i went from n.negley straight to fifth ave and then went to 376 east via s.bouquest/bates st.

my gps keeps wanting me to go through the bad boarded up part of wilkingsburg (i think route 8?) to get onto the highway. dont know an easier way than via that route(which i took to go to campus the times i was visiting the school)

Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
In Highland Park there is one bar that I recall. Nothing special. We went there for dinner once and was pretty bad. Definitely a bar and not a restaurant. After that you are forced to leave the neighborhood and head to Morningside (also 1 bar and not sure about it, at one point it was a little rough), go to Aspinwall/Fox Chapel you have a few choices there (Tom and Tuds, Aspinwall Grille or whatever it is called now or Beer Nutz) or head to Shadyside, Bloomfield, East Liberty etc. where you have tons of options.

Welcome to the burgh.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
The best bars are on Butler St in Larenceville, in my opinion.

Remedy (5121 Butler) was always my favorite, but that's because it's a low profile, no prentense little place, and I knew a bartender there.

New Amsterdam (4421 Butler) is pretty nice too. A lot of folks really like Round Corner Cantina (3720 Butler), but I usually found it to be a bad combination of small and uber-packed, which was kind of obnoxious, haha.

My secret favorite was Take a Break (39th and Penn). I used to force people to go there with me. It's (or was, haven't been there in a few years) a little dive that is great for playing pool...if you suck at pool and don't want "cool" people to intrude on your evening, hahahaha.

Another bar on Penn that is nice and super popular is Brillo Box (4104 Penn). It's a cool spot.

Anyways, Google these places. They are all within 5-10 minutes of your place by car.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
Lots of good advice here.

Highland Park: there's a bar at the Park Brugges. It is kind of upscale. There's pub in the park, which is a basic pub. Nothing fancy or crappy. It is better than before, but not amazing. Both are on Bryant St.

Over the hill of Stanton Ave is Lawrenceville. Lots of good spots along butler st.

Penn Ave has Brillobox. Verde also has a bar and is pretty cool - closer to Negley in Garfield. Salt of the Earth is near there with a bar too.

In nearby East Liberty is Highland & Highland, Kelly's, BRGR. There will be some others soon enough.

over the bridge (when it opens) is Mad Mex and Buffalo Blues (sports bar).

Lots of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh