Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,105 times

Advertisements

Hi I think you should check out Canonsburg Pa. Lovely town VERY low crime rate. Just simply a beautiful little town to live in. Small but so much to offer. About 35-40 min from Pittsburgh. 15 min from Washington Pa.Little shops downtown. Drug stores that actually deliver your perscriptions to the door Just a great place for you to check out Happy hunting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah.chapin92911 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are considering moving to PA in the next 2 years. We live in North Texas, and neither of us has ever been to PA. His family lives near Akron, OH, and we want to be close without being TOO close.

We are both in our mid-20s and have a 2 year old son. My husband is works predominantly in the oil field and I am in healthcare administration. I have a list of criteria for where we would like to live. Any suggestions of towns that sound like good matches would be wonderful.

I would like to live in a small town that is no more than an hour from a medium to large city with great healthcare.
Reasonably low crime rate
Great schools
Reasonable rental prices (less than 1000/ month for 3 bd 2 ba) as we are not planning to buy a home for a while
A good job market
Plenty of Parks/things to do
I also love the idea of a cute downtown area and festivals or parades throughput the year.
I LOVE holidays, so somewhere that really embraces the spirit would be wonderful.

Im not sure if my dream town does exist.

We are really hoping to find somewhere in western or central PA. So far, I am looking at the Hollidaysburg/altoona area, but some reviews online are making me second guess that area. I've also heard good things about Carlisle. If possible, we plan to make a trip up there sometime soon. Any input would be great.

Thanks!
And I apologize for errors; I am on my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,813,736 times
We are in Bridgeville which is about 30 minutes from Pittsburgh ; I commute there daily.

We have awesome schools, a small small town, but great people. It is very close to 79 and 8 minutes from 376, about 15 mins from 70.

Housing costs to buy range from reasonable (under 100,000) to outrageous.

We are only here just over a year and its been the best move so far. It is South Fayette schools which are rated very high.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
In re-reading the OP, once again I am amazed that anyone would consider packing up and moving, especially with a two year old, with no job, picking the town before getting the job. The OP and her husband should secure some jobs first, and then pick out the town they want to live in. If they move from TX to PA jobless, they should locate in either the Pittsburgh or Philadelphia areas as that is where there is the highest concentration of jobs and bring considerable savings with them. Both of those areas have "small town-like" suburbs that would satisfy the other criteria.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Nothing implies they are coming here without jobs. It seems the OP is trying to identify where to focus the job search.

They don't need to stick with the large metro areas of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

She should define small town and medium sized city. We really have no idea what she means by that.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:32 AM

Well, I'm just sayin', have the job or lots of savings to tide over until such job is procured.

Neither of them have ever been to PA according to the OP. I think they should come up for a scouting visit, and then narrow the search. I agree with needing some definitions. If the family is in Akron, Ohio may be a viable option as well, unless they want to be "close, but not *too* close".

Old 08-25-2013, 07:40 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,813,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In re-reading the OP, once again I am amazed that anyone would consider packing up and moving, especially with a two year old, with no job, picking the town before getting the job. The OP and her husband should secure some jobs first, and then pick out the town they want to live in. If they move from TX to PA jobless, they should locate in either the Pittsburgh or Philadelphia areas as that is where there is the highest concentration of jobs and bring considerable savings with them. Both of those areas have "small town-like" suburbs that would satisfy the other criteria.
While picking up and moving is not the ideal situation, some people have no choice. We did it last year ; yes, we did scout the area a few times before settling on our preferred area, but its ok to do. We did it with two boys, and it turned out fine for us.

It is very hard to get jobs when one is out of state. Even being instate, many places hire online and that we found that way impossible to get a job. I ended up going to an agency and did get a job very soon. My dh only did online applications and didnt get a job so he is gone back to school. Luckily we are able to afford it with some cutbacks.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I didn't notice she was considering towns as far east as Carlisle.

Look into Selinsgrove or any of the college towns north of Harrisburg. There are quite a few. This area isn't depressed as a result.

Lewisburg would be a nice fit. Great parades and holiday decorations. It's Amish country so you'll see lots of horses and buggies.
The OP said her husband works predominantly in the oil field. The map below is where the oil and gas drilling is taking place in PA. Notice that Altoona, Hollidaysburg, Lewisburg, Carlisle, Harrisburg and Philadelphia are outside the Marcellus Shale region.

Quote:
The OP stated, "My husband and I are considering moving to PA in the next 2 years." This is not exactly packing up and moving, but is a long range plan. Since she states her husband works predominantly in the oil field, I doubt he will find much work in Philadelphia.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The OP said her husband works predominantly in the oil field. The map below is where the oil and gas drilling is taking place in PA. Notice that Altoona, Hollidaysburg, Lewisburg, Carlisle, Harrisburg and Philadelphia are outside the Marcellus Shale region.
Scranton and Pittsburgh would be the biggest metros in the drilling region. Lewisburg is just south of it in a county that borders the drilling area. It's right next to an interstate that can easily access drilling areas. It's on the same longitude at Scranton. There are lots of small towns throughout the drilling area but I'll bet the rental prices are super high in those small towns due to the sudden influx of gas workers. State College, PA, is another consideration.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

The OP stated, "My husband and I are considering moving to PA in the next 2 years." This is not exactly packing up and moving, but is a long range plan. Since she states her husband works predominantly in the oil field, I doubt he will find much work in Philadelphia.
Probably not, though it depends on what "predominantly" means. He may have other skills as well. In two years, who knows? I just read yesterday (can't provide a source, sorry) that some of the oil drilling in PA is dropping off due to some natural gas discoveries in Ohio. Oil is a boom/bust industry. Ask the good people of Parachute, Colorado.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Probably not, though it depends on what "predominantly" means. He may have other skills as well. In two years, who knows? I just read yesterday (can't provide a source, sorry) that some of the oil drilling in PA is dropping off due to some natural gas discoveries in Ohio. Oil is a boom/bust industry. Ask the good people of Parachute, Colorado.
They always knew there was some in Ohio because a small part of the same reserves extend over into Ohio. There are always periods of slowdown because exploration and drilling are pursued during certain economic conditions. Colorado doesn't have anything like Pennsylvania's gas reserves. It spans 3/4 of the state and is the 3rd largest gas reserves in the world. They predict the drilling will continue for the next 30 to 50 years or more. The odds are good that there will be work for the OP's husband in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh