Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
Who are you people and what are you talking about?
I am sorry but this is one of the worst threads ever.
It's not even worth the effort to compose an intelligent response.
yep - there's a few 'odd' threads about right now, and this one tops the list. I suspect the OP is playing a practical joke, just to see if anyone takes him seriously. It's the only explanation possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 AM

419 posts, read 552,148 times
The question should be why is Pittsburgh such an unattractive place for hot women? Pretty easy to answer

Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,676,400 times
This thread reminds me of when I was in college attending a football game and had the displeasure of sitting in front of two men with large beer guts, and probably more hair on their backs then their heads, complaining loudly about how the cheerleaders (you know, the 18-21 year-olds who worked out regularly) weren't hot enough. I wondered if they owned mirrors.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but why are there so few attractive women in southwestern PA? It's always seemed to me that, around here, if a woman isn't obese and isn't particularly offensive to the eyes, then she's considered to be "hot". I guess there's even a term for it: "Pittsburgh hot".

There just has always seemed to me to be a disproportionate amount of rather "rough around the edges" chicks in this area. Don't get me wrong, I don't think every woman in Pittsburgh is a pig. I've seen a few 8's here and there. By and large however, there just aren't as many hot women here as there are in other cities I've been to, and I've always wondered why that is. Genetics? Something environmental? Abundance of tobacco use and/or drug & alcohol consumption (God knows there's plenty of both in this area)?
This should go over really well.

Anyhow to assume that there's even a grain of truth to the OP's assertion: Because the marketability for attractiveness here is less than it is in bigger cities like NYC where there is more money (and a better chance to marry into it), or warmer climates where the service industry is the predominant employer.

Also intelligent women (many of which have attended one of our numerous local universities) often aren't vain enough to fixate on appearance, and have different priorities that eat up their free time. Simply put the women around here work.

...But if the OP is set on finding a trophy wife, well who am I to tell him that he's wrong?

Last edited by Q-tip motha; 08-26-2013 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 AM

510 posts, read 906,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
The question should be why is Pittsburgh such an unattractive place for hot women? Pretty easy to answer
Is the answer that many of the men are unappealing, shallow, and negative?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Ah - now I suspect the thread is a clever ploy to bring out the true nature of some of our posters. It sure worked for pghdude28 ...

Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Anyhow to assume that there's even a grain of truth to the OP's assertion: Because the marketability for attractiveness here is less than it is in bigger cities like NYC where there is more money (and a better chance to marry into it), or warmer climates where the service industry is the predominant employer.

Also intelligent women (many of which have attended one of our numerous local universities) often aren't vain enough to fixate on appearance, and have different priorities that eat up their free time. Simply put the women around here work.
That's pretty much what I would have said. All the pretty girls go to the city.

It also might come down to personl preference and the ethnic makeup of the white population. I've often found that Boston isn't an especially attractive city, due to the high number of Irish there, and the general plainness of many Irish women (I generally find women of southern European extraction most attractive). I think with the large number of Eastern Europeans in Pittsburgh there's a look people have here which is a bit broader-faced than elsewhere (not talking about obesity) and some people may be turned off by that.

Here's a link to average female faces by country.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 AM

697 posts, read 778,638 times
Sealtite, are you also posting as CliffClavin and Vern6969 because this is yet another ridiculous question seeking a reaction. I second everything that EveKendall said among other responses here.

So here's my "reaction:" Either you are hanging out in some strange places, have an extremely limited social circle, or are looking for a specific, likely shallow, style that you deem attractive that isn't dominant here.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,709,101 times
This thread is clearly based on scientific data and not on speculation or opinion.

We need more threads like this to bolster our reputation on the interwebs...

Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but why are there so few attractive women in southwestern PA? It's always seemed to me that, around here, if a woman isn't obese and isn't particularly offensive to the eyes, then she's considered to be "hot". I guess there's even a term for it: "Pittsburgh hot".

There just has always seemed to me to be a disproportionate amount of rather "rough around the edges" chicks in this area. Don't get me wrong, I don't think every woman in Pittsburgh is a pig. I've seen a few 8's here and there. By and large however, there just aren't as many hot women here as there are in other cities I've been to, and I've always wondered why that is. Genetics? Something environmental? Abundance of tobacco use and/or drug & alcohol consumption (God knows there's plenty of both in this area)?
What other cities have you been to? Hope you don't say Miami and/or Los Angeles.

Throughout the U.S., most women have that typical overweight to obese look. I don't think Pittsburgh has any bigger woman than anywhere else in the U.S. The diet is generally similarly bad throughout the U.S., and most Americans, men and women have that same look. I'd even argue that southern states have a slight increase of weight/obesity issues, but it really isn't that good in most of the U.S.

There are a few exceptions in the U.S., and they are usually centered around the cities which have a high foreign population of people, who were raised in non-American cultures. The epicenters of these 'non-American' cities are cities like Miami and Los Angeles, which also seem to attract plenty of Americans who don't fit the typical overweight/obesity issues that much of the U.S. has.

But I'd argue that whatever you are seeing in Pittsburgh, is quite typical of 95% of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh