Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:55 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

From the Giant Eagle in Greenfield to Old Browns Hill Rd in Duck Hollow is .9 miles, less as the crow flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:09 PM

47 posts, read 75,156 times
khyberpass,

I also advise you to do some due diligence on some of the forum members here while listening to these arguments. Zman is spouting craziness in almost every thread making some old doom and gloom members (I'm thinking of you curtis!) seem like Pittsburgh ambassadors. And well Hope, she once took over a thread about someone very excited to announce the first community public library and rambled on about it flooding, and got seemingly upset when they didn't acknowledge her flood expertise.

I dont live in the NorthSide, so I won't comment on it. I do live in Greenfield. At first I was sad to be priced out of Squirrel Hill and Regent Square, as those were my first choices for a house. But I don't fret over it nearly as much anymore as this neighborhood is really growing on me. First of all, Greenfield has hills. Unless you're incredibly lazy, you will be just fine. Chances are you are not going to be walking all around Greenfield so this won't be a problem. From a commuting perspective it's great. You are 10-15 minutes from downtown/oakland/squirrel hill/monroeville/the waterfront. The 58 bus will take you from Greenfield to downtown / oakland. Murray avenue isn't a short stroll, but it's doable from a lot of areas of Greenfield if you need more bus connections. It's easy to get to oakland from both Schenley (oh did I mention you're right by the park?) and the swinburne bridge. It also feeds into decent city schools, and there is a private catholic school right down the street. It's also plenty safe for a Pittsburgh neighborhood.

The business district is nothing to brag about, but it has got some gems like Houghs, schmidts, and a new coffee shop which is owned by someone in the neighborhood (not to mention the Hough family was originally from here) . There are new young people slowly starting to buy houses here for all the reasons discussed by others. My immediate neighbors on both sides of my house are in their 30s and have nice houses. Do the houses look amazing on the outside? Not necessarily, but inside they are completely remodeled with nice hardwood floors, and central heating/air conditioning. The houses were probably around 150-160K when they bought them a couple years ago. I've also talked to other older neighbors who are amazed at how much housing prices around here have gone up.

The best part about this neighborhood? You get the benefit of being close to everything but at the same time can come back to some peace and quiet, and not have to fight over a parking space or constant loudness on the street. That to me is priceless.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
From the Giant Eagle in Greenfield to Old Browns Hill Rd in Duck Hollow is .9 miles, less as the crow flies.
In other words, about 80% farther than the half mile you mentioned while Four Mile Run in actually within a half mile of Greenfield Avenue. You can see how that might confuse people.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Fine. I thought you urban types were tough and could walk anywhere.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 PM

The road to Duck Hollow doesn't have a sidewalk and is without a shoulder for most of the way.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The road to Duck Hollow doesn't have a sidewalk and is without a shoulder for most of the way.

There is only 1 way into DH, over a bridge. Not a great area, knew a guy that was hit with a 220K reassessment, they used SH, since it's right over the hill.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:26 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
There is only 1 way into DH, over a bridge. Not a great area, knew a guy that was hit with a 220K reassessment, they used SH, since it's right over the hill.
Is Duck Hollow "officially" considered to be Squirrel Hill or Swisshelm Park? I've heard it referenced as being a sub-neighborhood of both.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Is Duck Hollow "officially" considered to be Squirrel Hill or Swisshelm Park? I've heard it referenced as being a sub-neighborhood of both.

You have to pass the Jewish Home for the Aged to get to Duck Hollow, and the Jewish Home is in Squirrel Hill.

I'd say its part of Squirrel Hill, if its part of anything.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You have to pass the Jewish Home for the Aged to get to Duck Hollow, and the Jewish Home is in Squirrel Hill.
Duck Hollow is officially in Squirrel Hill, as is Upper Duck Hollow (apparently developers thought that "Summerset at Frick Park" sounded better). Duck Hollow is the site of Squirrel Hill's first commercial district, and I'm pretty sure the Run is the original part of Greenfield. Everything started on the river.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
It's almost to the river. I'd call it Greenfield.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...d=0CJoBEPwSMA0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh