Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM

23 posts, read 143,734 times

Advertisements

What is new on Pittsburghs North side thses days I'm talking the area of Beaver Ave. and Marshall Ave? I moved out of there in 1956 and I am sure it has change a lot. Can any one tell me anything about that area now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
Marshall Avenue is still there, but Beaver Avenue is nothing like it was when you lived there in the 50s. There is now an elevated expressway that parallels Chateau Street and Beaver Avenue that goes directly to the Ft. Duquesen Bridge. All the little businesses in the old business district are gone, and it's a big industrial park all the way to the river. I don't know how many thousands of people were uprooted for the expressway in the 1960s.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
The North Side was butchered badly by expressways and urban renewal. All of the housing and retail west of Beaver was removed in the 60's, and the entire area, all the way to the river was given over to light industry. The entire block between Beaver and Chateau was razed, from Marshall, down to Ridge, and an elevated extension of Ohio River Blvd built. The handsome houses on the east side of Chateau were left facing a Chinese wall, and quickly went to hell. Most of the shells are still standing. Manchester suffers from crime, though North Avenue and Sheffield probably look better now than when you lived in the area. All of the housing and retail was removed from Woods Run in the 60's. The Pen is still there. It recently reopened, after being shut down for several years. With the exception of a few mansions, pretty much all of the once high end housing that lined Ridge Ave. and it's adjacent streets is gone. The central section of the North Side was nearly totally razed in the early 60's for a mall that eventually failed, and a bunch of apartment complexes. Getting back closer to where you lived, the small area of rowhouses along California Ave., running from Brighton over to Marshall, is easily the most bombed out section of the North Side, and though much smaller, gives the Hill a run for the worst looking section in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM

23 posts, read 143,734 times
WOW that kind of bums me out I have so many great memories of that area I was brought up in the Beaver Ave area and hung out at a place called the Bright Star and before I went into the Navy in 1956 worked at a place called the G&G market.
You could walk down as we called it the AVENUE and there was stores on both sides of the street. We use to go to Woods Run and had a few hahahahah rumbles there with the other guys from there then we all eventually hung with them too.
Well I guess time changes everything but the memories are still there.
Thanks guys for the feed back for an old goat here in Rhode Island.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,644 times
what's better living and buying a house in Pittsburghs, ca or Antioch, ca

Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousif View Post
what's better living and buying a house in Pittsburghs, ca or Antioch, ca

This isn't about Pittsburg, CA.

Anyway, learning about a Beaver Ave. business district bums me out too, and I just moved here two years ago. I used to live on Marshall Ave., and I still take the Beaver Ave. detour to the North Shore every day. Urban renewal was such a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh