Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

PPG plans to relocate about 500 workers in Cranberry - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
Yep Cranburgh is the next Pittsburgh and Slippery Rock is the next Cranberry. Just keep the yinzers south of 80 because I like my buffer zone.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Good news for cranberry. I wouldve been nice to see those jobs in the city. Western pa definitely mirrors the detroit metro . The businesses go to the burbs and the city loses. It looks like they are getting a lot of free breaks.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
As someone who lives in the city and commutes to work in the suburbs I have to say that news like this is rough for city dwellers. Making a reverse commute should decrease drive time but on the way home it doesn't matter, it's always horrible any direction. This makes people want to get up and move to the burbs so that they don't have to put up with the crazy commute. Winter driving makes it even worse.

I've always been a city boy, but commuting from here to the suburbs daily is enough to make me say screw it move to the Land Of No Souls.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Good news for cranberry.
Not for people trying to drive there, though. I was wondering if anyone was going to do me a huge favor and screw up my commute even more.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
I know Cranberry has been discussed a ton on this board but I gotta say more jobs or not, Cranberry is still a hellhole. I was just up there for the first time in a very long visiting a friend this weekend. One parking lot and strip mall after another... Some strip malls that looked barely 15 years old already looked out of fashion and in decline because some newer "flashier" strip mall had been built. Ironically, these newer ones seem to mimic a real town. Why not just go to a real town then, I wonder?

I was also struck by how quickly it turns rural after you leave the main strip mall area (can hardly call it a town...) It must have been very beautiful when it was all rural and filled with farmland and pastures. How going from that to strip malls can be considered progress is beyond me... I know it's not the only place in the world or even the region where such poor zoning and planning standards have occurred so we shouldn't pick on it exclusively, but it certainly seems like an appropriate poster child.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
What can you expect for a town known as Inanimus Oxycoccus?

Sounds like Cranberry picked up a plum!

OK, I was going to post a third really bad joke, but I figured two was enough for today.....

Last edited by Yac; 09-24-2013 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 09-23-2013, 12:46 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Cranberry is still a hellhole. I was just up there for the first time in a very long visiting a friend this weekend. One parking lot and strip mall after another... Some strip malls that looked barely 15 years old already looked out of fashion and in decline because some newer "flashier" strip mall had been built.
You guys would hattteeeee Los Angeles.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:46 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I know Cranberry has been discussed a ton on this board but I gotta say more jobs or not, Cranberry is still a hellhole. I was just up there for the first time in a very long visiting a friend this weekend. One parking lot and strip mall after another... Some strip malls that looked barely 15 years old already looked out of fashion and in decline because some newer "flashier" strip mall had been built. Ironically, these newer ones seem to mimic a real town. Why not just go to a real town then, I wonder?

I was also struck by how quickly it turns rural after you leave the main strip mall area (can hardly call it a town...) It must have been very beautiful when it was all rural and filled with farmland and pastures. How going from that to strip malls can be considered progress is beyond me... I know it's not the only place in the world or even the region where such poor zoning and planning standards have occurred so we shouldn't pick on it exclusively, but it certainly seems like an appropriate poster child.
Take a drive on Franklin Road from 228 to Evans City, you can't find a more scenic road.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:50 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Good news for cranberry. I wouldve been nice to see those jobs in the city. Western pa definitely mirrors the detroit metro . The businesses go to the burbs and the city loses. It looks like they are getting a lot of free breaks.
Or def. DOES NOT mirror the Detroit Metro

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...t-cities/?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh