Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,284 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Pittsburgh area from Florida in the middle of winter. Flashbacks to my youth in CT. My partner's new job is somewhere in the 15207 zip code. I need help since I only have 1 weekend to find a place to live. I think we’ll rent for a while until we get to know the area. For right now, these would be our requirements:
Close to work (15207 zip code) - within 1/2-hour driving
Good/decent preschools and school system.
Plenty parks and things for toddlers and young kids to do.
Relatively safe so I won’t worry if I have to drive around at night.
We’ll be looking for a house/townhouse/apartment with at least 2 parking spots (attached garage instead of street parking a plus), and a close place for the kids to play (parks, common areas, yard). Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 PM

114 posts, read 343,709 times
Price range?

Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
Price range?
to rent 1000 + 150
to buy 200 to 250000

Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Default Welcome to the Burgh

For the rent that you are willing to pay, or the house that you wish to buy, you are going to get much more for your money in the Pittsburgh region. There are so many options available to you. As with Florida, you may want to rent until you ascertain what part of the Pittsburgh region that you want to live. You must ascertain your highest priorities. If public school education is a top priority, you will need to look in the suburbs. The Mount Lebanon, North Allegheny, Quaker Valley, Upper Saint Clair, Pine-Richland are considered among the best in the region. The fastest growing suburban areas surrounding Pittsburgh are Pine-Richland and Cranberry(Seneca Valley). Seneca Valley has the added perks of having lower Butler County property taxes and proximity to major highways surrounding Pittsburgh. If you prefer the city atmosphere, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill might be positive options for you. Neighborhoods surrounding North Park and South Park are also very popular for families. Not sure if these answer some of your questions, but barring the snowy winters, Pittsburgh is a great place to live. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 AM

114 posts, read 343,709 times
O.K. Well, since not too many replies are forthcoming, I'll add to the PPs comments (they are very helpful). I will be honest, I have been here only 4 years, so I would hope that if I am "off" on any advice, someone will steer you right!

The zip 15207 puts the job around Homestead. I would ask which side of the river your partner will be working on...only because the less barriers (bridges and tunnels) the better. The PP gave you specific towns, which is a great starting point.

What I would do is contact a Realtor, explained clearly what type of area you are interested in and have them e-mail you listings, also have them e-mail you information about specific towns you are interested in. When you have your visit planned, have your realtor set up appointments and plan a whole day of them. My husband and I did it in two visits....one was for existing homes....and the other was for new home communities. We chose a new home, but it was a very difficult choice, we had to get a 6 month rental home in the school district. That is just an FYI. Personally, I would make the trip, look at the towns themselves and see which fits you best....find a rental home for 6 months to a year, and give yourselves time to aclimate. HTH

Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 PM

76 posts, read 228,175 times
Another Florida family moves to Pittsburgh - seems to be a lot of that happening! Best move I ever made, (although I'm from Florida, didn't ever move there.) I wonder why so many Floridians are moving to the Pittsburgh region??? VALUE and QUALITY OF LIFE would be my bets.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutaFL View Post
Another Florida family moves to Pittsburgh - seems to be a lot of that happening! Best move I ever made, (although I'm from Florida, didn't ever move there.) I wonder why so many Floridians are moving to the Pittsburgh region??? VALUE and QUALITY OF LIFE would be my bets.
Right on both counts Too much time in traffic instead of at home...

Thanks Hemingway and Retiredcoach for taking the time to answer my question. I'll make sure I contact a realtor this week and set up appoinments to check rentals in the areas suggested. We'll definitively rent for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh