Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 PM

346 posts, read 537,275 times

Advertisements

I know this is a new topic (sarcasm).. but here goes. I live in a Pittsburgh neighborhood and it's not the nicest or most desirable one around. There is ample parking available (this is no Southside, Shadyside etc), but nobody here for the most part has a driveway or garage. In my household we have 4 drivers and 3 cars, next door they have 2, on the other side 1 and then 1 across the street, but there is an empty lot where a house used to be across the street and then there are 3 vacant lots next to the house on our right so all though there are a lot of cars there is also plenty of space for everyone to find a spot. So with all these cars in a little area the parking is on a first come first serve basis... Everyone I'm sure tries to park in the spot closest to their house but that spot is not always available. But no matter where you park you are probably not further than maybe 60-80 feet from your sidewalk... Anyway the problem is our neighbor across the street is very adament that nobody park in front of her house... Even though there are plenty of other spots around she only wants to park in one spot. It's public parking ... she lives on the low side of the street so she doesn't even have to walk up stairs.. she is probably in her late 20s or early 30s and is gone a lot of the time, but anytime us our guests or any of our neighbors park there she asks us how long we are going to be and she has started asking us to move and today she flipped out on our neighbor next door for parking there ... even though it is basically the spot on front of her house as well. I think the tension is getting high and there is a fear she might start damaging the cars or our property... What can be done preemptively if anything to nip this in the bud? Is it wise to get the police involved? I know they got better things to do, but I don't trust this woman, and although I try to avoid parking in front of her house... if there are closer spaces this is a public street and she is being stubborn and unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 04:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Unless cars actually start getting damaged, what's there to do? She's not committing an illegal act by bitching, not yet. People should tell her point blank that it is public parking, everyone is entitled to park there, and request that she stop harassing you or others about it or then something will be done about her harassment. If any damage occurs, report that and report anything that led up to it. You're being needlessly paranoid that someone will jump to committing a crime just because they're over-entitled about parking.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Film the ***** and then nail her ass once any of the cars get damaged.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Put a chair in the spot and sit back and watch her head explode.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Put a chair in the spot and sit back and watch her head explode.
Heh.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
She must not be a Pittsburgh native, or she'd already have her own chair there...

Old 10-07-2013, 06:02 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Is she actually threatening to damage the cars?

Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
You'd be better off averting confrontation with this young lady, and avoid parking in front of her house.

Stirring people up, especially when there is plenty of parking around without this space just doesn't seem that great. Being on friendly terms with neighbors is a generally good policy to have, and the woman may be having personal situations that you are unaware of.

I doubt if she would vandalize your car anyway, but allowing people their quirks can be a positive thing down the road in the event you need to ask something of her.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You'd be better off averting confrontation with this young lady, and avoid parking in front of her house.

Stirring people up, especially when there is plenty of parking around without this space just doesn't seem that great. Being on friendly terms with neighbors is a generally good policy to have, and the woman may be having personal situations that you are unaware of.

I doubt if she would vandalize your car anyway, but allowing people their quirks can be a positive thing down the road in the event you need to ask something of her.
Sometimes if I find a spot in front of someone's house, I"'ll ask them if it is ok if I park there. They usually say yes. They appreciate the fact you respect them, even though it is not their property. Somebody paying mortgage or rent should get first dibs on a parking spot in the vicinity of their dwelling. I have been there. I know.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Sometimes if I find a spot in front of someone's house, I"'ll ask them if it is ok if I park there. They usually say yes. They appreciate the fact you respect them, even though it is not their property. Somebody paying mortgage or rent should get first dibs on a parking spot in the vicinity of their dwelling. I have been there. I know.
Meh. Having grown up in the suburbs I suppose I just see things differently. If someone parks in front of our rowhome I don't care. Walking further never killed anyone. I DO get irked when parishioners of a nearby church clog our street instead of utilizing their own nearby designated parking lot, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh