Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,677,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
I actually wish there was more horn honking.
I try, but I laugh everytime I do honk. My Nissan has the wimpiest sounding horn. It's not at all alarming. It kinda sounds like it's saying, "excuse me, would you please stop being a jagoff..." All polite and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM

875 posts, read 1,491,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I try, but I laugh everytime I do honk. My Nissan has the wimpiest sounding horn. It's not at all alarming. It kinda sounds like it's saying, "excuse me, would you please stop being a jagoff..." All polite and all.
I generally tend to reserve honking for avoiding accidents, yielding right of way, or the light tap for those folks that don't see the green light after a few seconds (and yes I'm one that actually counts to about 3 or 4 Mississippi's before doing this)

My "hey you're being a jagoff/cutting me off/driving recklessly" gesture is the old HIGH BEAMS.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
I only honk for emergency reasons as per the law.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCaseIII View Post
In San Francisco you can drove to the snow, and to some of the best skiing in the world. You just don't have to live in it for 3 or 4 months of the year like in New England.
No arguments with the skiing quality comparison. Not Pittsburgh's strength. But at least there's snowy fun to be had in driving distance, which is better than a lot of places.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,925,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
No arguments with the skiing quality comparison. Not Pittsburgh's strength. But at least there's snowy fun to be had in driving distance, which is better than a lot of places.
Exactly. I'll take my 45 minute ride to 7 Springs over 3.5 hours to Lake Tahoe any day. Tahoe may be better, but for a constant thing, 45 minutes is great. Plus the turnpike does a hellava job keeping the roads to get there clear.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If we're talking about natural disasters, the road I drive home on daily got flooded 3 times this year. In 2011 4 people died from flash flooding. Let's not forget the ice storms we get on a yearly basis (sometimes more than twice throughout the winter).

Sure we're not getting tsunamis here, but to suggest that we're free from natural disasters is inaccurate.
While the loss of 4 lives is certainly not okay or trivial, compared to what has been happening in Colorado our floods have been insignificant. I'm not saying we have it perfect and trouble free but we have it a whole lot better than many other places.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM

814 posts, read 1,151,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cincinnati, St Louis, and Louisville all have 'it' that I like. But, for various reasons, as they are all in the same vein as Pittsburgh, there is just something intangible I much more prefer with Pittsburgh, that I could even quantify.
I have never been to Louisville, but I've always felt that Pittsburgh is a more neighborhood-based city than either Cincinnati or St. Louis, and I like that (though someone who's spent more time in all three can feel free to dispute this notion). I've found that Cinci, in particular, gets rather suburby fairly quickly as you leave downtown, and their public transit system does not seem to be any better than PAT.

I've actually been more impressed with St. Louis, though I will say that a St. Louis summer gets far more uncomfortable than ours.

Also, neither one's topography comes close to Pittsburgh's.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
While the loss of 4 lives is certainly not okay or trivial, compared to what has been happening in Colorado our floods have been insignificant. I'm not saying we have it perfect and trouble free but we have it a whole lot better than many other places.
You mean the 100, or 500 or 1000 year floods we had (depending on who you talk to)? Yes, they were bad, very bad, and the clean up continues. But they're certainly not a common occurrence.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,395,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Pittsburgh is safe and mediocre. Not a place to be experimental or take risks. Also not a place to be curious about the world. Stifling to those with an entrepreneur spirit and those looking for the next coolest trend. What is popular in the current year elsewhere happens in Pittsburgh way too late. The year 1985 has not been completely eradicated from the region as others have noted. If you have ever seen the movie "Groundhog's Day," you'll realize that movie is the perfect description of this city.... it is the same every single day and nothing changes. Many times it is the same boring, depressing gray skies but more often than that, it is the culture, economy, and political system. Blahh. However, different strokes for different folks.

A friend of mine describes Pittsburgh as a Scranton, PA on steroids. I do think the "Groundhog Day" describes things around here. Ironically it was filmed not too far from here.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,148,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Ironically it was filmed not too far from here.
Although it would make sense for it to be filmed near Pittsburgh (since Punxsutawney, where Groundhog Day takes place, is, you know... near Pittsburgh), it was actually filmed almost entirely in Woodstock, IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh