Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
The Natural History Museum is pretty standard fare -- I love it because it's changed very little in my lifetime (and probably my father's lifetime), so a trip through there is a huge rush of nostalgia... But if you've been to another Natural History Museum, you won't see much to write home about here.
They actually opened a significant new addition to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History just a few years ago, containing the completely revamped exhibit Dinosaurs in Their Time. Carnegie Museum of Natural History If dinosaurs are your thing, this might still be the most accurate up to date exhibit of and about them anywhere.

Apart from that though, yeah, there are large sections of other stuff that still haven't changed much and would not be a big draw.

You do get into the Museum of Art with the same ticket; it's all connected. The Carnegie International is going on now: 2013 Carnegie International

The Heinz History Center is great though. As a huge Pens fan you'll likely enjoy the Western PA Sports Museum section of the History Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:50 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
We've been to the Heinz History Center several times, as we live nearby, and we would highly recommend it. Since it's just a long walk from your hotel and only takes maybe 2-3 hours (tops) to fully enjoy that may also free up a couple of hours to check out another great nearby attraction, such as the National Aviary, Andy Warhol Museum, or the Mattress Factory.

Some of our favorite haunts for meals/drinks in/around Downtown would be NOLA (Market Square), Meat & Potatoes, Seviche (personally haven't been there, but everyone raves about it), and Max's Allegheny Tavern (on the north side). Across the Smithfield Street Bridge is Station Square, a mixed-use entertainment complex that has mostly chains like Hard Rock Cafe, Buca di Beppo, Texas de Brazil, Joe's Crab Shack, etc. Just up from the Heinz History Center you'll find the Strip District, which has more locally-oriented haunts such as DeLuca's Diner, Pamela's Diner, Primanti Brothers (not a fan), Roland's, Kaya, Eleven, Spaghetti Warehouse (not a fan), and a few others.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Sammi's near the Consol Center.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM

831 posts, read 879,132 times
Nicky's Thai Kitchen just opened a location in the cultural district.

By far the best Thai food in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Nicky's Thai Kitchen just opened a location in the cultural district.

By far the best Thai food in Pittsburgh.
I'm going to Nicky's tomorrow for lunch. I hope it is even better than Smiling Banana Leaf in Highland Park.

Last edited by jay5835; 10-16-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
Thirded on Meat & Potatoes making the best cocktails downtown.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:06 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I wouldn't bother with the Tap Room. It is just some TV bar that happens to be in the Wm. Penn Building. I like that cool bar in the main dinning room by the lobby in the Wm. Penn. That is cool for one or two drinks just to look at the amazing room. I never been to the speak easy, but I will have to check it out. Check out Market Square. It is fun and you can walk over there. If you feel lazy, grab a cab. One nice thing about the Wm. Penn, they have a real cab stand and you can actually get a ride.

Hope you have fun.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:06 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We've been to the Heinz History Center several times, as we live nearby, and we would highly recommend it. Since it's just a long walk from your hotel and only takes maybe 2-3 hours (tops) to fully enjoy that may also free up a couple of hours to check out another great nearby attraction, such as the National Aviary, Andy Warhol Museum, or the Mattress Factory.

Some of our favorite haunts for meals/drinks in/around Downtown would be NOLA (Market Square), Meat & Potatoes, Seviche (personally haven't been there, but everyone raves about it), and Max's Allegheny Tavern (on the north side). Across the Smithfield Street Bridge is Station Square, a mixed-use entertainment complex that has mostly chains like Hard Rock Cafe, Buca di Beppo, Texas de Brazil, Joe's Crab Shack, etc. Just up from the Heinz History Center you'll find the Strip District, which has more locally-oriented haunts such as DeLuca's Diner, Pamela's Diner, Primanti Brothers (not a fan), Roland's, Kaya, Eleven, Spaghetti Warehouse (not a fan), and a few others.
I believe I have mentioned before, Spaghetti Warehouse is a chain from Texas, we have plenty of home-grown red-sauce joints of our own in Bloomfield!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:11 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sammi's near the Consol Center.
I love Sammy's corned beef, and have had a beer or two there after work a few times, but I wouldn't call it a "nice restaurant or bar" on the same level as other suggestions given.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I love Sammy's corned beef, and have had a beer or two there after work a few times, but I wouldn't call it a "nice restaurant or bar" on the same level as other suggestions given.
OK, it's a joint. But gives you a flavor of the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh