Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times

Advertisements

Is there a published proposal/plan for the AVRR floating around somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Is there a published proposal/plan for the AVRR floating around somewhere?

I think that is their holdings and trackage rights
here is one of their proposals though no downtown routing has been decided AFAIK

kind of an interesting site
Plan Envisages Reusing Pittsburgh’s Industrial Past to Bring The City Closer Together | ArchDaily though a single track would be problematic
I haven't found one, the last news I saw on it is they were still working on an environmental assessment
Quote:
The cost of the 22-mile commuter train line is about $415 million, Ardolino said.
The cost of the 18-mile North Hills T extension has been estimated at about $1.4 billion.
If I'm not mistaken, private interests are willing to foot the bill for part of the $415 million...it's a great opportunity for a TIF to help fund transit. for the price of light rail in the quote you could have AVRR, commuter rail to latrobe, AND subway surface rail to oakland
Read more: Rail lines would coexist, not compete, consultant says | TribLIVE
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Last edited by pman; 11-04-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times
I don't see any extension of light rail. Maybe an express bus lane or two. The port authority is what it is and Pittsburgh is a small city.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I don't see any extension of light rail. Maybe an express bus lane or two. The port authority is what it is and Pittsburgh is a small city.
I don't even believe that will happen. The best this provincial backwater town can hope for is an old mule.

Apologies to those who understand that I am kidding....I cannot help myself when I see doom and gloom I just want to pile it on....

Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I don't even believe that will happen. The best this provincial backwater town can hope for is an old mule.

Apologies to those who understand that I am kidding....I cannot help myself when I see doom and gloom I just want to pile it on....
I hear the invention of the wheel is coming soon

Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
In my opinion, the "puzzle piece" that Pittsburgh is lacking is a real beltway system. As Pittsburgh continues to grow, the traffic situation is only going to get worse. The Parkway east is an absolute joke, as is route 28. The Parkway west isn't much better. 51 is hell to travel on during most hours of the day and,....I could go on, but I don't need to.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:49 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
I just don't buy that Pittsburgh is too small for light rail. Maybe we can't justify funding a subway, but just laying down some tracks and electrical cables? If we can fund roads we can fund that.

The bigger issue is political; as the funding would have to be taken from something else, or come in the form of a new tax. If an "expand the T" levy is ever on the ballot, I would probably not only vote for it, but campaign for it.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

What have they done the last 30 years to improve public transportation in this city/county/region that gives you any hope they are going to do a dramatic overhaul to make it a better system? It takes them years to do bridge repair or replacement projects.

I am not being doom and gloom, but rather realistic. We all may be 100 years old by the time they add another mile of track to the T.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post

Pittsburgh is a fairly large city, its certainly not an LA or Dallas, but its sufficiently big to have a lot of things.

But the problem in Pittsburgh and rail is that there are really only a few places in town that are sufficient dense to justify the cost in infrastructure for such a plan.

And since the majority of the city residents, much less the county or state residents, never go from Oakland to town, they can't see spending that kind of moolah for a taj mahal subway between the locations when that same money could be used for several larger projects in other areas.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Pittsburgh is a fairly large city, its certainly not an LA or Dallas, but its sufficiently big to have a lot of things.

But the problem in Pittsburgh and rail is that there are really only a few places in town that are sufficient dense to justify the cost in infrastructure for such a plan.

And since the majority of the city residents, much less the county or state residents, never go from Oakland to town, they can't see spending that kind of moolah for a taj mahal subway between the locations when that same money could be used for several larger projects in other areas.
It is hard enough to get funding to fix our crumbling bridges. I like the idea of a better public transportation system, but it would take a miracle for that to happen in our lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh