Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Most buses run down Forbes Avenue (anything 61), but you can get the 67 or 69 on Wilkins. The way the Port Authority's website works, I can't give you an exact link, but go here, click "Schedule Finder," and look up 67 or 69. Use the time for the intersection of Dallas and Reynolds to plan your trip from Wightman School. The 61 buses run much more frequently, so you might find it easier overall to walk up Wightman Street to Forbes Avenue.

Port Authority of Allegheny County > Schedules & Maps > Trip Planner

Useful link time!
www.portauthority.org - /rt/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Oh, look at that. Thanks, doo dah. You are swellegant.

Last edited by jay5835; 10-28-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Awesome! Thank you all for the great tips. This is going to be really helpful and make things much less stressful for me.

So my current thought is to try to park o Wilkins and walk down to 5th if possible since getting a bus will be a snap there. But knowing which buses to catch at what places is going to be hugely helpful since things don't always go exactly as one would like.

My overall plan is to eventually move into a apartment that is local to Pitt and on a bus line. But I want to settle into the job first and then I have to find the right place and sell this old dump of a house I live in.

For me this is like Cinderella moving into the castle. I have been struggling for a really long time and this job is going to give me opportunities I never dreamed possible. So yeah I plan to be there a long time. It has been my dream for the past couple of years to work at Pitt and move to Squirrel hill (or the general vicinity). I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that it is really happening.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM

10 posts, read 13,713 times
A couple of things to add, since I used to be a hardcore commuter to the CMU/Squirrel Hill area 30 years ago, and, surprisingly, options haven't change that much since then.

Here is a Port Authority system map:

System Map - Port Authority of Allegheny County - System Overview

Click on a square to see bus routes through that grid. Pretty much every bus that goes from Squirrel Hill to downtown Pittsburgh goes down Fifth Ave. in Oakland.

My fave spot in Schenley Park is West Circuit Road, right off Schenley Drive. Parking is free, and if you're in by 7 AM, it might not be too bad (full) since it's mostly used by CMU commuters. It takes me 10-15 minutes to walk from the intersection of Schenley Dr. and West Circuit to Hillman Library, so maybe it's 20 minutes to the medical area. A good option during warm weather.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Oh awesome thank you! In nicer weather I do want to be walking more. That map will be really helpful.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:32 PM

706 posts, read 1,049,108 times
I go to the Falk Clinic once a week at Presby. I drop off my car to the valet, take ten steps to the elevator, ride the elevator to my doctor. When my appointment is over, I pay the valet. I have to take few steps for $8.00. I will take that running given the convenience. I know that Oakland is a nightmare for parking. There is no such thing a cheap and close. I do not expect someone to pay $8.00 every day, but once a week to avoid the hassle is well worth it at the Falk.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I do not expect someone to pay $8.00 every day, but once a week to avoid the hassle is well worth it at the Falk.
Eight dollars to park in Oakland for a day? You need a valet and a time machine.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Eight dollars to park in Oakland for a day? You need a valet and a time machine.
Tell me about it! Now the city has even deemed CMU to be ritzy enough to be a "Premium Pricing Area" for parking, which means a quarter nets you less time in the parking meter near campus than in other parts of Oakland!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Tell me about it! Now the city has even deemed CMU to be ritzy enough to be a "Premium Pricing Area" for parking, which means a quarter nets you less time in the parking meter near campus than in other parts of Oakland!
If delivery people actually want to park legally, relatively high meter fees are good for them. When it was cheap, all the spots were taken by employees running out to feed the meters every two hours.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
a quarter nets you 8 minutes.

yep, right now its 2/hr and most spots are a max of 4 hrs in oakland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh