Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:39 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times

Advertisements

[ADVERTISEMENT] People being priced out of Lawrenceville -- we welcome you to Pittsburgh's hottest new neighborhood: Lawrenceville West (formerly Troy Hill). [/ADVERTISEMENT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I agree. There isn't enough interesting there to justify the traffic or the ridiculous increae in housing prices.
But I am old, and cranky, and not the intended demographic.
I rented a house there for a year about four years ago. It was the junkiest, worst-made house I ever lived in. Saturday through Thursday, I could smell the various pet products (2 cats, 1 dog: they all "went" in the cellar) from my next door neighbor on the left; Thursday until Saturday, I got to inhale the industrial strength cleaner she used to clean up her various pet products on Thursday, trash night in L'ville. The stench came in through the cellar and the first floor. And in those tiny, one-room-wide houses, there's nowhere to go to avoid it. And they're the smallest rooms I've ever lived in.

I was there yesterday (lunch at Piccolo Forno), and I tried to see the beauty of it. The building I liked the most was this newish, rectangular bunker made of brick and glass, an architect's office across the street from the Post Office.

The only thing I can say in Lawrenceville's favor is that it's not in Seattle. Oh, and I like Piccolo Forno and La Gourmandine, and I realize they would not be able to operate in a more expensive part of town.

Last edited by jay5835; 11-01-2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
My favorite thing in Laurencville is the Slaughterhouse Gallery and that old cemetery is really quite beautiful. My friend who owns the Slaughterhouse has told me that parts of the town are really quite nice and it has been improving but other parts are still very run down and not such nice areas to hang aorund.

I am interested in the discussion on this thread since I will be looking for a reasonably nice apartment in my budget, with easy access of buss routes to Oakland some time next year.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I agree that Lawrenceville is overrated. It's not an awful place, but it's not everything everyone touts it to be. Commercial and residential real estate are priced for the future, not present reality.

I've never heard anyone ever make a big deal about Mt. Washington. It is what it is. Housing is priced appropriately there.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
[ADVERTISEMENT] People being priced out of Lawrenceville -- we welcome you to Pittsburgh's hottest new neighborhood: Lawrenceville West (formerly Troy Hill). [/ADVERTISEMENT]
I've been thinking more and more about Lawrenceville North (alternately known as Millvale). Like Lawrenceville but with a better music venue and a killer record store and a French bakery AND IT'S WAY FREAKING CHEAPER than Larryville on the other side of the river.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I've been thinking more and more about Lawrenceville North (alternately known as Millvale). Like Lawrenceville but with a better music venue and a killer record store and a French bakery AND IT'S WAY FREAKING CHEAPER than Larryville on the other side of the river.
And it's certainly not overrated!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree that Lawrenceville is overrated. It's not an awful place, but it's not everything everyone touts it to be. Commercial and residential real estate are priced for the future, not present reality.
$1 million apartment homes planned for Strip District | TribLIVE

I suspect lawrenceville we eventually reach that reality. east liberty, bloomfield, lawrenceville, the strip, downtown all in a row

Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
$1 million apartment homes planned for Strip District | TribLIVE

I suspect lawrenceville we eventually reach that reality. east liberty, bloomfield, lawrenceville, the strip, downtown all in a row
Now I do not see anyone (at least who is native or knows a lot about the region) ever spending $1 million to live in the Strip.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Now I do not see anyone (at least who is native or knows a lot about the region) ever spending $1 million to live in the Strip.
The (pet) project is conceived by the wife of a president of a trucking company that owns the building. LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Lawrenceville and the South Side. I'd rather these two districts be the ninth circle of Hipster hell and Frat boy central respectively however, as opposed to what they were 20-30 years ago. It's nice to actually be able to have these conversations about which section of the city is overrated, which is underrated, etc. When I was a young, supple little boy back in the 80's, I thought the whole place was a ****hole, and a lot of people would've agreed with me back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh