Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 AM

352 posts, read 551,065 times

Advertisements

So, I've read all of this conflicting info about Pittsburgh's air quality. Of course, it is *drastically* better than in the industrial past. I've never thought the air quality was bad when I've visited.

So, I see stuff like this:
Most Polluted Cities: State of the Air 2011 - American Lung Association
You'll notice that Pittsburgh is ranked #24, #7, and #3 on the three lists

..and on the other hand I see stuff like this (this one is from the Wiki for Pittsburgh):
"Also, in 2007, Forbes magazine named Pittsburgh, in an eight-way tie, the 10th cleanest city in the world.[132]"
"In 2010, Forbes and Yahoo! listed Pittsburgh as the most livable city in the United States.[10][128] One month later, Forbes named Pittsburgh the 7th best place to raise a family.[129] In August 2010, Pittsburgh was ranked the 4th best city for working mothers by Forbes[130] and the city was ranked as one of the best for entrepreneurs by Entrepreneur.[131] In 2012, the city was listed among the 10 best places to retire in the U.S. by CBS Money Watch and U.S. News.[133][134]"

??
Confused..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
The problem is that the sensor where the readings are taken are downwind from the clairton coke plant skewing the numbers. I'd say our air is pretty darn clean now, with the exception of a few areas.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I'd say our air is pretty darn clean now, with the exception of a few areas.
The Squirrel Cage and across the street from a UPMC facility at break time.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
I've heard the Clairton thing again and again here but I've never seen evidence of it. Does anyone know where the sensor is exactly?

Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Here is the link to the latest:
American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Most Polluted Cities

And here is a page that has links to monitor locations:
Where You Live | AirTrends | Air & Radiation | EPA

This page: Design Values | AirTrends | Air & Radiation | EPA
has links to spreadsheets with information, including addresses. The PM10 link in 2012, Tab "Table 5, Monitor Listing" shows the following:
520 ORCHARD AVE, AVALON Avalon
HARPER DR, EVERGREEN PK, MONROEVILLE Monroeville
1275 BEDFORD AVE, FLAG PLAZA Flag Plaza
2743 WASHINGTON BLVD, LIBERTY South Allegheny Middle/High School
3640 OLD OAKDALE RD, SOUTH FAYETTE South Fayette
1000 FULTON ST, MANCHESTER Manchester
405 WHEELER AVE, MCKEES ROCKS, PA 15132 SOUTH OF NEVILLE ISLAND (UPWIND)
600 ANDERSON ST, NORTH BRADDOCK North Braddock
HIGH ST, WATER TOWER, GLASSPORT Glassport 4
501 WADDELL AVE, CLAIRTON Clairton Educational Center
BELLEBRIDGE RD, LINCOLN Lincoln

So yes, it looks like for ozone and particulates, there is a monitor near/in Clairton.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Is one monitor bringing down the air quality rating for the entire city? Also the majority of the monitors aren't even in Pittsburgh. Maybe it would be fair to say the quality of the entire county is bad seeing that the monitors are so spread out.

In my opinion when I escape to my parent's place in Venango during the summer you can really tell the difference in air quality. But of course going from the city -> country that is to be expected.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Is one monitor bringing down the air quality rating for the entire city? Also the majority of the monitors aren't even in Pittsburgh. Maybe it would be fair to say the quality of the entire county is bad seeing that the monitors are so spread out.

In my opinion when I escape to my parent's place in Venango during the summer you can really tell the difference in air quality. But of course going from the city -> country that is to be expected.
I agree. A few summers ago I went out to las vegas for a week. I returned to pitt and noticed a huge difference. Allegheny county has dirty air. Are we more likely to end up with cancer in pittsburgh than elsewhere ?

Aside from the air i am not sold on pittsburgh for water either. The lines are over 100 years old and dumping toxins into the rivers for decades.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

The sensor is for the metropolitan area, and every area in our metro gets that rating. And sure, Venango County is rural and very clean. Compared to Philadelphia/DC/NYC, I can breathe that same way in Pittsburgh vs those cities.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Aside from the air i am not sold on pittsburgh for water either. The lines are over 100 years old and dumping toxins into the rivers for decades.
You're not supposed to drink from the lines that dump into the river. Those are for sewage.

No wonder you're always so down on the region. Nobody told you how the water system works.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You're not supposed to drink from the lines that dump into the river. Those are for sewage.

No wonder you're always so down on the region. Nobody told you how the water system works.
+1 for you (if I could). Hahahahaha he's the one giving us cancer not the air/water.

For everyone's reference, all sewer lines are treated before being deposited back into the river. And everything out of the tap is filtered again before being pumped through the lines that come to your house. Seriously zman its one thing to have a negative opinion, but its an entirely different thing to lie about stuff you clearly know nothing about.

Also, Las Vegas? They have some of the worst ozone content in the country.
http://www.stateoftheair.org/2013/ci...ed-cities.html

We are #24 (even with the terrible place of our sensor), and Las Vegas is #16.

Last edited by speagles84; 11-13-2013 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: link added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh