Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Speaking of blowing things up and the Greenfield Bridge, how on earth are they going to blow-up the Greenfield Bridge without blowing up that duplex that's maybe five feet from the bridge?

Very carefully, but these demolition guys know what they are doing.

When they blew up the Farmers Bank Building in town for Lazarus (now Piatt Place) the Presbyterian Church on Oliver was very concerned about its very expensive and rare windows being damaged.

Nothing happened to the glass, these guys know how to play with explosives safely- that's why they are in the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
When they blew up the Farmers Bank Building in town for Lazarus (now Piatt Place) the Presbyterian Church on Oliver was very concerned about its very expensive and rare windows being damaged.
I'm sure they're very careful, but that house is practically on top of the pillar and probably worth less than one of those windows.

Anyway, apparently it has been put off for another year.

With Fixing The Greenfield Bridge, Funding's Not The Biggest Problem | 90.5 WESA

Old 11-20-2013, 06:19 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
I'm sure they're very careful, but that house is practically on top of the pillar and probably worth less than one of those windows.

With Fixing The Greenfield Bridge, Funding's Not The Biggest Problem | 90.5 WESA
Speaking of the Greenfield Bridge, does anyone know why Pocusset Road from Schenley Park to Phillips Avenue in Squirrel Hill has been shut down for months? I'd imagine this would be the detour route once the bridge is gone. We have clients on Pocusset Road, near the park, and going up Hobart to Wightman and then back-tracking down Pocusset towards the park has been a royal P.I.T.A.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Speaking of the Greenfield Bridge, does anyone know why Pocusset Road from Schenley Park to Phillips Avenue in Squirrel Hill has been shut down for months? I'd imagine this would be the detour route once the bridge is gone. We have clients on Pocusset Road, near the park, and going up Hobart to Wightman and then back-tracking down Pocusset towards the park has been a royal P.I.T.A.
The road was sliding down the hill or the hill down into the road. The city didn't have the money to keep it open as a road. It's not going to re-open to cars. Fortunately, bikes can take a narrower, less sturdy road. If you look at it now, you'll see it is painted as a bike path.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
The road was sliding down the hill or the hill down into the road. The city didn't have the money to keep it open as a road. It's not going to re-open to cars. Fortunately, bikes can take a narrower, less sturdy road. If you look at it now, you'll see it is painted as a bike path.
Wow. Seriously? So we'll have even one fewer detour option for when the bridge is out of commission? Without dedicated traffic cops, which I'm sure the city won't employ, Hobart Street and Beacon Street are going to be a mess. They're already at maximum capacity at rush-hour. We deliver many orders from South Oakland to Squirrel Hill, Greenfield, and Regent Square. This is going to be a logistical nightmare for our business.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Wow. Seriously? So we'll have even one fewer detour option for when the bridge is out of commission? Without dedicated traffic cops, which I'm sure the city won't employ, Hobart Street and Beacon Street are going to be a mess. They're already at maximum capacity at rush-hour. We deliver many orders from South Oakland to Squirrel Hill, Greenfield, and Regent Square. This is going to be a logistical nightmare for our business.
That bridge being down will certainly be a big problem for lots of people. But I don't see how Pocusset being open would help at all in getting from South Oakland to Greenfield or Regent Square. Or any of Squirrel Hill except for the small area between Hobart and Pocusset (and that's got nothing at all to do with the bridge). The bottlenecks will be on Murray and having on more route to get to Murray won't matter.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 AM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Quote:

Oh we already knew that MONTHS ago... I thought you were talking about it being delayed yet ANOTHER year!

Quote:
Well here's one possible caveat: Just before this demo project, the PA Route 28 rebuild should be done (Q3 or Q4 2014). If I lived in points Monroeville and east, I would DEFINITELY consider taking Turnpike one exit to Harmar and then PA 28 into town. Honestly, that might be FASTER than waiting in the daily backup at the Squirrel Hill Tunnels, at least when that project is DONE perhaps.

Aside: Based on the Abbreviation of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels (SHT), can we nickname them "The Squirts"? (SqrHTs)

Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Aside: Based on the Abbreviation of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels (SHT), can we nickname them "The Squirts"? (SqrHTs)
LOL--catchy, and friendlier than the obvious nickname when SHT adds an I after the H. Then again if you're stuck in a jam, SH i T seems appropriate.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Thought some of you might be interested in an old Post-Gazette op-ed article written by the late mayor Bob O'Connor regarding the subject:

Bypass the Squirrel Hill Tunnel

Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Pocusset Street - the street is undermined. there is a gap, or void, beneath the road. its very dangerous to allow vehicles to use it. the city is contemplating it as solely a ped/bike route. that would be an amazing statement for personal health and an alternate means to total car-dependency. the problem is the danger involved if some idiot drives on it when kids are playing on the road.

the Duplex next to the Greenfield Bridge - that is being acquired by PennDOT, and will be destroyed.

i have been without a car for over a year. i use Zip car once in a while. i cant tell you how much money i have saved. the higher cost of living close to work (downtown) is offset with more free time (no stops at the gas station, no cleaning windows, no inspections, other maintenance, etc.) and more money in the bank.
i am active and my metabolism is higher than it was in my drive-like-mad days of northern VA. my back hasnt bothered me in years (i used to call off twice a year for back problems).

i think the Squirrel Hill Tunnels would require too much for the state to even consider funding. any solution would be a gargantuan project with an enormous cost. it would take a strong public effort by an organized citizens group to even put the idea on the table. you are talking...decades.

i would rather people sit there, however, than funnel through Squirrel Hill and down Commercial Avenue (my sibling does that to get home). that creates quite a frustrating log jam on city streets (particularly Forward Avenue and Murray Avenue).

one thing i think should be explored - user pricing. that is, all vehicles using the tunnels at rush hour will have their electronic device scanned, and charged. in other words, a 'toll'. sorry, suburban people, but that is the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh