Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 AM

144 posts, read 224,568 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure that it's the worst major highway we have in the area, because of the fact that the commute in both directions is bad in the afternoon. From 79 to the Fort Pitt Tunnel is mile 64 to about mile 69, almost 5 miles! Even the Squirrel Hill Tunnel doesn't have backups that long. And for some reason when you're going west, past 79 towards Robinson, it slows down for reasons I can't understand. I realize that the Airport is a major employer, and that Robinson has been growing a lot (rivaling Cranberry?), but what else gives? At least when you get out of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, you're moving 40 mph at it's worst.

I'm going to be interning in Southpointe starting in January, and most likely still living in Plum. Are there any alternatives to going 79 to 376 to 28? Or should I wait until 6:45 pm to start heading home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
There are probably some "cross country" routes using local roads that would get you back and forth, but I'm not familiar with them. They could end up taking just as long, given traffic lights and congestion.

376 was built before the advent of the interstate system and was basically to be an express route from downtown to the airport. Carnegie was really the last settlement and then it was open highway. There was no 79 connection, no office clumps, malls and shopping centers and tract housing for 20 miles on both sides. The poor development planning has come home to roost.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:29 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm3685 View Post
I'm pretty sure that it's the worst major highway we have in the area, because of the fact that the commute in both directions is bad in the afternoon. From 79 to the Fort Pitt Tunnel is mile 64 to about mile 69, almost 5 miles! Even the Squirrel Hill Tunnel doesn't have backups that long. And for some reason when you're going west, past 79 towards Robinson, it slows down for reasons I can't understand. I realize that the Airport is a major employer, and that Robinson has been growing a lot (rivaling Cranberry?), but what else gives? At least when you get out of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, you're moving 40 mph at it's worst.

I'm going to be interning in Southpointe starting in January, and most likely still living in Plum. Are there any alternatives to going 79 to 376 to 28? Or should I wait until 6:45 pm to start heading home?
Your best alternatives are significantly far away, and they would most likely involve the Turnpike. Depending where you are in Plum exactly, you could take the turnpike from Harmar up to Warrendale and then shoot down 79 all the way from there or you could take the turnpike down to New Stanton and shoot across 70 and hit 79 for like 5 or so miles.

These are not very desirable either. Google maps says that both of these routes would take about 80 minutes (with clear traffic) and would rack up 60+ miles on your vehicle. Isn't life without a beltway in Pittsburgh grand?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM

This route might be worth looking into:

Plum to Southpointe Blvd via Mosside Blvd

This route would take about as LONG as I described above (~80 mins) but would be far less distance (<40 miles).

EDIT: Honestly, if this internship has any sort of potential to turn into a real permanent positon for you at that location and you can swing it, I would DEFINITELY consider moving at least a bit closer to your work. This sounds like one of the worst possible commutes in the Pittsburgh area to me honestly...

Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm3685 View Post

The traffic that backs up going heading out of town approaching Greentree hill but then flows fine after.... because we know the only thing scarier then hills are tunnels.

Ah yes... the stretch from 79 to Robinson... Deal with it every day heading home Westbound.

You have the people that use the 3rd lane that comes from 79 merging in that get to Campbells run road and realize its an exit only and stop to merge into the middle lane. You have the people in the middle lane that need to get off at Campbells run road who didn't take advantage of that 3rd lane being there for 2 miles that now need to get over.

Then you finally get up past Settlers Ridge and you deal with the same cluster of people trying to get off onto 22/30.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Isn't life without a beltway in Pittsburgh grand?
Having a beltway would certainly not guarantee a shorter or smoother trip.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
Having a beltway would certainly not guarantee a shorter or smoother trip.
Oh you're wrong it WOULD!!!

...For the first decade after it was built...

Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I-376 is a functionally obsolete highway. That's the problem.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I-376 is a functionally obsolete highway. That's the problem.
EDIT: I'm realizing that this was posted on the Parkway West thread and not mine concerning the Squirrel Hill Tunnels. However, many of the points still apply in general...

Oh, there's no doubting that at all! My question then is: Where do we go from HERE? Do we cut our losses and try to ameliorate the situation by building a new highway elsewhere (as the Mon-Fayette Expressway proponents suggest and I'm basically opposed to), do we try to improve transit options from Downtown to points east (and what sort of transit would that be), or do we try to piece-meal attempt to improve the existing highway like I proposed?

I don't have the answer to this question, but I think the closest thing to an "answer" would be something that mixes a little bit of all the things I mentioned above.

Last edited by Impala26; 11-20-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 07:46 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Where do we go from HERE? Do we cut our losses and try to ameliorate the situation by building a new highway elsewhere (as the Mon-Fayette Expressway proponents suggest and I'm basically opposed to), do we try to improve transit options from Downtown to points east (and what sort of transit would that be), or do we try to piece-meal attempt to improve the existing highway like I proposed?
We do all three.

Complete the South Beltway and the Monroeville leg of the Mon-Fayette Expressway so traffic that wants to get between the eastern and western ends of the metropolitan area can do so without having to go through downtown Pittsburgh. An extra benefit to this is drastically-improved east/west mobility across the southern end of the metropolitan area. I oppose building the Mon-Fayette Expressway into the city of Pittsburgh.

Expand the T by three lines: one to Monroeville, one to Oakmont, and one to Pittsburgh International Airport. I can't decide whether to build the Monroeville line on its own new right-of-way, or just expand the East Busway right-of-way to include tracks. As for the Airport line, I can't decide whether to direct it through from the North Shore through the West End, or just expand the West Busway right-of-way to include tracks. The Oakmont line would be easy, though, from the Strip District up the Allegheny River.

Incrementally make improvements to the Parkways East and West. Start with replacing the two railroad bridges over the Parkway West, then reconfigure most of the interchanges, and then enlarge the Squirrel Hill and Fort Pitt Tunnels. By the time this is all done, the only thing left to do would be to widen the Parkways East and West. This would all be done over a period of time, and hopefully the new transportation budget will allow it to happen a bit faster.

The good news is, all three efforts would be spearheaded by different transportation authorities. The South Beltway and the Monroeville leg of the Mon-Fayette Expressway would be done by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission; the T extensions would be done by the Allegheny County Port Authority, and the Parkways East and West would be done by PennDOT.

No, I don't expect this all to be done before the end of the decade. I do expect it to be done, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh