Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,399,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Hater gonna hate...but this seems like good news to me:

Pittsburgh ranks high in 5-year job growth - Pittsburgh Business Times
The Pittsburgh metro area ranks 153 out of 280 when it comes to income. Columbus is 57 out of 280.

Our other rust belt peers:

Detroit metro is 17
Cleveland metro is 85
Cincinnati metro is 55
Buffalo metro is 139

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You might well be right, but it doesn't mean it will be a great thing for taxpayers or the people in general.

Right now, taxes are all over the board, the city having a very reasonable rate compared to most school districts. Some districts pay far more, and get better quality for the extra money. Eliminating the voice and desires of the people in each district could have unforeseen negative consequences.

Allegheny County Treasurer
I don't think they are going to have a choice in the matter. It appears change is going to be forced whether they like it or not. There is too much disparity in one county.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:56 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,308,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
People can say whatever they like, but I think I will be long dead before there is shared service for any of the more wealthy neighbors to Pittsburgh. The service I get in my area is so far above Pittsburgh's, I can't even compare them in any way. Aspinwall is very good as well. Heck, even Sharpsburg does a better job. Wilkinsburg? I can see that. I do find your phrase, "slowly but surely" funny though. Thanks for the laugh.

During a previous holiday, I was out at my brothers in North Fayette and it was snowing like crazy. I was a little concerned about getting out of there, but he advised me to relax.

The township trucks were out there at Christmas taking care of the roads, the trip back was decent until I got back into the city.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,308,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I don't think they are going to have a choice in the matter. It appears change is going to be forced whether they like it or not. There is too much disparity in one county.

Like I said, you may well be spot on, but I'm just saying it will have a lot of adverse effects to the people who live here. City hall in Pittsburgh just isn't that fantastically efficient, from what I've seen over my lifetime.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:14 AM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,136,894 times
Quote:
City hall in Pittsburgh just isn't that fantastically efficient, from what I've seen over my lifetime.
It is very old and very corrupt. The entire state is. Look at PennDot for example. Talk about the fleecing of the PA taxpayers! What about PAT Bus? Some drivers making 6 figures. Really anything government related is full of waste and BS. Look at the Convention Center and having to have the Teamsters involved in everything that goes on there totally ripping off all the vendors and whatever else goes on there. Total scam and some backdoor crap. Pittsburgh is so filled with that the amount of waste would have to be over 60%. Imagine if it was on the up and up. We would be doing great, but that stuff is about impossible to break up. Look what happened to Mayor Luke when he showed a bit of the Pittsburgh Police going ons. You can't mess with the stuff going on around here.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It is very old and very corrupt. The entire state is. Look at PennDot for example. Talk about the fleecing of the PA taxpayers! What about PAT Bus? Some drivers making 6 figures. Really anything government related is full of waste and BS. Look at the Convention Center and having to have the Teamsters involved in everything that goes on there totally ripping off all the vendors and whatever else goes on there. Total scam and some backdoor crap. Pittsburgh is so filled with that the amount of waste would have to be over 60%. Imagine if it was on the up and up. We would be doing great, but that stuff is about impossible to break up. Look what happened to Mayor Luke when he showed a bit of the Pittsburgh Police going ons. You can't mess with the stuff going on around here.
It is the culture of pa, western pa and pittsburgh for that matter. No doubt it is going to be difficult and a fight to change the culture. I dont get people on here. They say that pittsburgh needs to change and grow. Yet when somebody comes along to try and consolidate or change there is so much resistance from everybody. People are going to be surprised with peduto. I think he is going to do the right thing even if it is unpopular. I hope the duplication does end.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 AM

510 posts, read 910,289 times
Quote:
The service I get in my area is so far above Pittsburgh's, I can't even compare them in any way. Aspinwall is very good as well. Heck, even Sharpsburg does a better job. Wilkinsburg? I can see that.
What kind of services are you talking about? I am genuinely curious.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM

10,237 posts, read 16,903,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
You are right it is much smaller than montgomery county, but the rankings are still the rankings. It is considered one of the wealthiest US counties. No matter how you spin it, at first glance people aren't going to look at the population amount rather the amount of money each family or person is bringing in.

Political independence is going to be ending slowly but surely in allegheny county.

Peduto pushing Pittsburgh-area shared services - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
you missed the point entirely. its not about spin but understanding what the data is saying. the average inckme in lower merion kn montco is higher than delco. its an arbitrary comparison that holds no value.

what we know: Cleveland is losing people and jobs, its transit ridership is FAR below that of Pittsburgh. Columbus has higher metro area income than Pittsburgh but lower city income. transit ridership in Columbus is embarrassingly low, Pittsburgh is on par with Baltimore. the data hardly supports your claims that ohio is booming or even growing. Pittsburgh is probably better off looking at successful cities like the twin cities or even Portland.

Last edited by pman; 11-28-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,952,648 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is a city of neighborhoods, where each neighborhood is like its own little town. There are people who never cross bridges
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
That is part of pretty much any city's culture. There are people in NYC, Chicago, London, and Rome who don't leave their boroughs/neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That's true in EVERY city.
When I lived in DC, the only time I went to Arlington was on gay pride day, because the outdoor disco event was held across the street from me for a number of years. Oh, and to visit my friend Ellen.

In NY, I only went north of 14th Street to go to work.

Last edited by jay5835; 11-28-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Like I said, you may well be spot on, but I'm just saying it will have a lot of adverse effects to the people who live here. City hall in Pittsburgh just isn't that fantastically efficient, from what I've seen over my lifetime.
People will adjust and change or they wont. If they refuse change and leave so be it. It needs rebuilt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh