Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:45 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you missed the point entirely. its not about spin but understanding what the data is saying. the average inckme in lower merion kn montco is higher than delco. its an arbitrary comparison that holds no value.

what we know: Cleveland is losing people and jobs, its transit ridership is FAR below that of Pittsburgh. Columbus has higher metro area income than Pittsburgh but lower city income. transit ridership in Columbus is embarrassingly low, Pittsburgh is on par with Baltimore. the data hardly supports your claims that ohio is booming or even growing. Pittsburgh is probably better off looking at successful cities like the twin cities or even Portland.
What we also know: Our local leaders traveled to cleveland for transit ideas.

City Leaders Travel To Cleveland To Observe Bus Rapid Transit System « CBS Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh is in competition with cleveland and denver for a light manufacturing firm. They already have an office in cleveland.

LED technology behind Bill Peduto's visit to Prague | Pittsburgh News

Ohio ranks 22nd for business while Pennsylvania ranks 42nd. Ohio had the best improvement of all 50 states.

2013 Best & Worst States for Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

Our leaders seem to go to cleveland much more than portland. I guess you didn't read the cleveburgh link I have been posting. I also see advertisements on I-480 in cleveland begging northeast ohioans to use Pittsburgh airport instead of Hopkins.

But with all that said, no your right. We are nothing alike. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post

City Leaders Travel To Cleveland To Observe Bus Rapid Transit System « CBS Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh is in competition with cleveland and denver for a light manufacturing firm. They already have an office in cleveland.

Ohio ranks 22nd for business while Pennsylvania ranks 42nd. Ohio had the best improvement of all 50 states.

2013 Best & Worst States for Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

Our leaders seem to go to cleveland much more than portland. I guess you didn't read the cleveburgh link I have been posting. I also see advertisements on I-480 in cleveland begging northeast ohioans to use Pittsburgh airport instead of Hopkins.

you proved nothing. just because they go to Cleveland doesn't mean they should. Ohio might rnak 22nd for business but Cleveland and Pittsburgh are FAR the same place. Cleveland is losing jobs, people, has extraordinary poverty, and is in much worse shape with FAR fewer transit riders. Pittsburgh is gaining people, jobs, has far higher transit ridership DESPITE being in a bad state for business. you really undermined your own point. Pittsburgh leaders should skip ohio which offers little for them to learn. PENNSYLVANIA leaders should probably visit.
I'm not sure what relevance billboards have to the discussion. the markets are relevant to each other that much is not in dispute, just the over the top claims (and largely inaccurate). funny thing is that ohians may or may not use the airport but they're moving to PA in droves to escape Ohio. btw your business rankings are based on 2010-11 data. the ohio unemployment rate today vs PA's is not materially different.

hey look at that, no ohio cities made the list. lesson, look to texas or some place not named Ohio for ideas. certainly getting transit ideas from places that lag you significantly is muddleheaded.
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/smallbu...-cities/8.html

best cities for small business
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/2013/...mall-business/

Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:

Take your turkey googles off dude

For third month straight, Greater Cleveland leads metro areas nationally in job loss | cleveland.com

Take your turkey googles off dude

For third month straight, Greater Cleveland leads metro areas nationally in job loss | cleveland.com

Old 11-28-2013, 11:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
It is the culture of pa, western pa and pittsburgh for that matter.
Mostly true with all cities and states in the northeast for the most part. Pittsburgh and the state of PA is just one of many and more the norm. I wish most of it could be privatized and closed down. The big machine is mostly waste, but they are in full control.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:41 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
You all know you can put zman63 and his alter ego pghdude28 on your Ignore List, don't you?

Scroll to the top of the page and click on "My Settings." From there, go to "Your Control Panel," then "Settings & Options," then "Ignore List." Add zman63 and pghdude28, and as long as no one quotes them, we're home free.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
What kind of services are you talking about? I am genuinely curious.
Snow removal for one. Keeping up the area for another. Of course my area is over the top. Heck the Duquesne Light idiot tree trimers have to get approval from our arborist prior to their destruction. Our garbage doesn't need to be by the curb here. They come to the garage door. Then there are school districts. The city is so filled with poverty, it is really tough to get it going. Also city corruption is harder to detect because of its size. It is harder for small towns to rape the taxpayers to the same degree.

Anyway, I am not a fan of all the waste and wouldn't want that attached to my life. That income tax doesn't help and they keep raising property taxes to offset all the super poor.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You all know you can put zman63 and his alter ego pghdude28 on your Ignore List, don't you?

Scroll to the top of the page and click on "My Settings." From there, go to "Your Control Panel," then "Settings & Options," then "Ignore List." Add zman63 and pghdude28, and as long as no one quotes them, we're home free.
Then they can terrorize this forum and all the new people looking at it, and there's no one there to correct their slander.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:52 AM

Nullspace

Old 11-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

what is annoying is that his basic message that Pittsburgh (and PA in particular) should be more business friendly is a good one but it gets lost in the obsession with Ohio (especially Cleveland)which often undermines his basic point.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:15 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Mostly true with all cities and states in the northeast for the most part. Pittsburgh and the state of PA is just one of many and more the norm. I wish most of it could be privatized and closed down. The big machine is mostly waste, but they are in full control.
It is a shame. It is a beautiful state. PA is just such an antiquated mess. Pittsburgh is just a product of the PA culture. This could be a great city. Most of the people that live here are from here originally. The resistance to change is like a solid brick wall. I do have faith that Peduto and Fitzgerald will work together. If they do the right thing it will not be the popular thing. If I was fitzgerald I would try to work with peduto as much as possible to end the duplication and force mergers. Even if it cost me reelection. It is looking toward the future and not living in the past. One poster stated that people will come to pittsburgh based on job growth and opportunity. In 2008 a Rand Study said the 130 municipality and 44 county school district setup is hindering economic, business and population growth. To me it is a no brainer.

The future of pittsburgh is the people that have not relocated here yet. Those people will not care nor give a damn about 6 superbowls or the fact there were once were 130 municipalities and 44 school school districts.

The sad thing is that locals complain about their taxes. Every taxpayer in western pa is on an expensive ride to failure. They want lower taxes yet they want their own school district. You cannot have both. Especially, when you are a metro area ranked 153 out of 280 in income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh