Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
hear hear. And thx to a FB friend of mine who is Pro VC at a major Aussie University, here's scientific justification for my life style

Do smart people drink more? Here's some science to ease your hangover

My buddy is a smart drunk who loves rubgy
I got one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM

646 posts, read 926,949 times
any other useful info

Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
any other useful info
Good point, I think I hear Yac coming.

What's the vibe like? Is it blue collar?

Mostly white collar workers who have a blue collar work ethic.

I saw some people say jobs don't pay a lot. How true is this?

Depends on your field. Bus drivers here make the most of any city.

Is Pittsburgh a clean city overall or has many runs down parts?

Like all cities, yes and no.

Is it more a NE or a Midwest city?

Mid-Atlantic

Are those livability ratings true about Pittsburgh?

Most are just hype.

I like diversity and am mostly liberal. How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations?

Not much diversity and IMHO most people don't care who lives next to them, just cut your grass.

Are roads mostly narrow like in NYC/NJ? I don't like the narrow, busted roads here.

Again, depends on the area.

Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?

Talk to the younger people.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Depends on your field. Bus drivers here make the most of any city.
Not even close. A few make lots of money with a great deal of overtime, but the salary for full-time work is only $52,000.

Port Authority bus drivers' extra hours under study | TribLIVE

That's not nothing, but it is below many other cities.

Transit Salaries

And new hires aren't getting close to that.

Port Authority Looking To Hire Bus Drivers « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM

510 posts, read 905,918 times
There are plenty of liberal thinkers in the city. There is a tiny Hispanic population but a diverse group of Europeans and a decent sized Asian population (walking my dog this morning I heard people speaking Russian, Polish, Italian, and Korean).
I think your experience will vary significantly depending on where you work and where you live in the city.
I am not 'anti-suburbs' but I suspect it would be easier for a young person to find your social network in the city. Pittsburgh isn't like NYC--plenty of neighborhoods in the city are quiet and have a lot of flora and fauna. Public transportation is okay to get to and from work but I wouldn't want to depend on going out in the city and heading back to the 'bubs in the evening using buses. Cabs are impossible to flag down.
What else would you like to know?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
a decent sized Asian population
All the people from East Asia seem really skinny, but some of the people from South Asia are bigger.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Put that in your pipe and smoke it. I am sick and tired of western PA bumpkins, including the bores of this forum who apparently never leave their hometowns. The people I met in R.N. school were about the same: Real small town small thinkers. Not "city" like the Charleston people.
Well, I'm 100% convinced this is a troll account now, it's impossible to not read a sentence of this post without desperately holding in laughter. Please stay in your "NW Penna" rural area and let the folks with actual real-world experience of living in the city comment on living in the city of Pittsburgh. Although this "information" is ridiculous enough that it pretty much discredits itself completely without anyone's help.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 AM

510 posts, read 905,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
All the people from East Asia seem really skinny, but some of the people from South Asia are bigger.
This is when I want to fall back on 'English is not my native language!' as a defense. You are right, I did not word that well--Pittsburgh has an Asian population that is roughly in line with the national population.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
This is when I want to fall back on 'English is not my native language!' as a defense. You are right, I did not word that well--Pittsburgh has an Asian population that is roughly in line with the national population.
You worded it perfectly well. I deliberately interpreted it in an overly literal manner to make a stupid joke. It's a hobby of mine.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You worded it perfectly well. I deliberately interpreted it in an overly literal manner to make a stupid joke. It's a hobby of mine.

...and you do it very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh