Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:44 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Other than 1993, 1996, and "Snowpocalpyse" how often do we actually have REAL snow in Pittsburgh? Here in the East End it seems like it's been snowing everyday since Thanksgiving, but we've only had an inch or two each time. I know exactly what EveKendall means, as my next-door neighbor is an OCD fusspot who shovels (loudly on our brick sidewalks) numerous times during a snow event, regardless of the time of day or night. Is shoveling one inch vs. three inches going to make THAT much of a difference for your body? I can see one inch vs. one foot, but Pittsburgh hasn't had a truly "heavy" snow event since I've lived here (over three years and counting).
man ... your and your inches again

I suspect it depends on the health of the person in question as to strain on heart. But that number of deaths is quite staggering.

Is it kosher to put some salt on your sidewalk (!) to stop it icing up after clearing? I did this on Monday, as our driveway is a little steep at the bottom and it just seemed natural to keep salting. Am I a bad person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:44 AM

510 posts, read 905,918 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who actually finds this accent sexy? "Yinz goin dahn...doing dahnn....goin DAHHHHNNNN!!!!" As much as I try to replicate it I haven't been able to speak "yinzer" without sounding like a poser.
Yes, I believe you are.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
Please tell me you're not one of these Squirrel Hill runners who wears black spandex and runs in the STREET at NIGHT to avoid icy sidewalks. I almost mowed one over the other night.
It WAS you

Only black spandex when very cold and only below waist. Bright yellow above in dark. And I rarely run on roads unless there is no sidewalk, like in areas of Schenley Park.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Other than 1993, 1996, and "Snowpocalpyse" how often do we actually have REAL snow in Pittsburgh? Here in the East End it seems like it's been snowing everyday since Thanksgiving, but we've only had an inch or two each time. I know exactly what EveKendall means, as my next-door neighbor is an OCD fusspot who shovels (loudly on our brick sidewalks) numerous times during a snow event, regardless of the time of day or night. Is shoveling one inch vs. three inches going to make THAT much of a difference for your body? I can see one inch vs. one foot, but Pittsburgh hasn't had a truly "heavy" snow event since I've lived here (over three years and counting).
But your next-door neighbor never knows which snowfall will result in accumulation!

It's not just the weight of the snow but the cold air too. Cold air challenges the cardiovascular system all on its own. It's better to be safe than sorry once people reach a certain age or have certain risks. It can even happen to seemingly healthy young people.

Why is shovelling so dangerous? | CTV News

Your neighbor might also be one of those bored retired people who watch for the mailman. Clearing snow gives him something to do.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Is it kosher to put some salt on your sidewalk (!) to stop it icing up after clearing? I did this on Monday, as our driveway is a little steep at the bottom and it just seemed natural to keep salting. Am I a bad person?
That's fine. I prefer to use a non-salt product on my own property because salt burns pet paws. Once snow is cleared, using salt or another product helps prevent the freezing up that Eve mentioned. I agree that snow provides a lot of traction. That's why we're not big on shoveling snow at our house. We do take ice seriously though, and we ended up with serious ice after that "wintery mix" storm last weekend.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
groups of suit-wearing "new Pittsburghers"
I can't tell you how often I have to dodge down an alleyway to avoid the hordes of suit-wearing non-Pittsburghese-speaking people roaming around Shadyside. You never know WHAT sort of shenanigans you can expect from them.

As for me, I am a non-suit-wearing work-weary new Pittsburgher. I bear no ill-will towards anyone except bad people.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,909 times
I expected him to slip and fall on his way back to the car and make a big stink about it. It would have shown he was serious about his complaint and/or he is a drama queen.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
I expected him to slip and fall on his way back to the car and make a big stink about it. It would have shown he was serious about his complaint and/or he is a drama queen.
That's my vote.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:48 PM

706 posts, read 1,049,108 times
Back to delivery driving, where I can write a book. I would much rather get stiffed than get tied up for more than necessary. If it makes you feel good to stiff me, so what? I'll make my money. Next time, if I have three deliveries in the car, I don't care if you called first and are the closest, you are getting your food last. That is provided that I am not screwing myself over with the routing. I am going to give the best customers the best service. You'll get your food and I would never tamper with the food. That is just downright evil and illegal. It is just food for thought for the customer. I was never directly rude to a customer. However, there is one incident that I regret.... About once a week some managers of the Walmart in the Waterworks would order a sizable order to be delivered to their break room in the back of the store. That store is always a mad house both inside and out. After fighting traffic to find a spot outside, I carried six pizzas and four subs through the tight aisles dodging guests with shopping carts and employees stocking shelves. They page the women who ordered. As usual, they made me wait fifteen minutes during our busy lunch. And as usual, the women were total yinzer ******* with attitudes, and as usual, they stiffed me on an eighty dollar order. I was biting my tongue on the way out when some little weasel employee goes "PIZZA MAN!" I said "That's me. Tell those ladies they're supposed to tip "PIZZA MAN!" He ran back and told them like a little ***** because as soon as I got back to the shop my boss ask what happened. The Walmart managers said that they would never order from us again. The other drivers thanked me. My boss was not happy but I had been working there for years and never had a complaint. It was an isolated incident and one I am not proud of. I had just had enough with the chaos of Walmart, getting tied up, getting treating with a bad attitude and then getting stiffed on top of it. If it weren't for that kid on the way out of the store I would not have said anything.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:31 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Back to delivery driving, where I can write a book.
Amen to that. I delivered for six years and feel like I should have an honorary sociology degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
About once a week some managers of the Walmart in the Waterworks would order a sizable order to be delivered to their break room in the back of the store. That store is always a mad house both inside and out. After fighting traffic to find a spot outside, I carried six pizzas and four subs through the tight aisles dodging guests with shopping carts and employees stocking shelves. They page the women who ordered. As usual, they made me wait fifteen minutes during our busy lunch. And as usual, the women were total yinzer ******* with attitudes, and as usual, they stiffed me on an eighty dollar order. I was biting my tongue on the way out when some little weasel employee goes "PIZZA MAN!" I said "That's me. Tell those ladies they're supposed to tip "PIZZA MAN!" He ran back and told them like a little ***** because as soon as I got back to the shop my boss ask what happened. The Walmart managers said that they would never order from us again. The other drivers thanked me. My boss was not happy but I had been working there for years and never had a complaint. It was an isolated incident and one I am not proud of. I had just had enough with the chaos of Walmart, getting tied up, getting treating with a bad attitude and then getting stiffed on top of it.
Screw 'em. Some customers ain't worth having, no matter how much they order. We had a lady down in Hazelwood who worked for some kind of drug ring... err, I mean "community non profit" who used to place 10-20 pie orders (plus wings, cheese bread, way too many 2 liters, etc.) without any advanced notice, expect us to have it down there in forty minutes, tops, and set everything up for her when we got there, all for a whopping tip that ranged between 60 cents and a generous buck eighty ON HER FREAKING EXPENSE ACCOUNT! Of course, we couldn't so much as look at her cross eyed because she had our franchisee's home number on speed dial.

If everyone was allowed by law to beat one person to death with a pitching wedge in his/her lifetime, I know who I'd pick.

I actually did directly tell one lady to f*** off towards the end of my run. My manager was a little taken aback, but then shrugged and said "well, that b**** wasn't going to order again anyway." He was a great guy to work for.

For the most part though, years of pizza delivery actually made me less misanthropic. Most of the regular customers I dealt with, especially the three years I delivered in Pittsburgh, were generous, respectful, and understanding. Pittsburghers tend to have a strong respect for service workers, which is something I can't say about a large number of my fellow native Central Pennsylvanians.

Although peddling pizzas back in the 717 did allow me the surreal experience of delivering a pie to a Mennonite family. In case anyone was wondering, Mennonite's aren't very friendly, and they tip poorly (I could say the same about a few other ethnic groups, but that's a can of worms best left closed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh