Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I know of at least one person who leads somewhat frequent five-mile hikes up and down the steps on the South Side, organized through the Pittsburgh hiking group on meetup.com.
That would be such a cool thing to do the next time I'm in Pittsburgh.

I've always been a fan of the Pittsburgh steps, and even though I know some of them might be a little dangerous for running, I like the idea of at least vigorously hiking up and down them. For one thing, you don't usually have to think about getting around other people or obstructions. And some of them have really interesting views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 AM

As a related topic--if you were to choose your five favorite steps for running/brisk hiking, which would you recommend?

Bonus points if they happen to be somewhat easy for a visitor to find/park near/take a bus to. Because yes, I actually am looking for suggestions for my next visit. Thought taking a little "step tour" might be fun & different way to spend an afternoon.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:55 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Were you in the military?

Nope, thanks to President Nixon I had a 250 lottery number, never got called.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:02 AM

Oooh! Look what I just found!

Hiking The Steps of Pittsburgh - YouTube

I definitely want to do this on my next trip.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
As a related topic--if you were to choose your five favorite steps for running/brisk hiking, which would you recommend?

Bonus points if they happen to be somewhat easy for a visitor to find/park near/take a bus to. Because yes, I actually am looking for suggestions for my next visit. Thought taking a little "step tour" might be fun & different way to spend an afternoon.

Two suggestions for a "step trek".

Several steps at Belle Isle, Stetson and Ray connect West Liberty Ave. and Pioneer. Both of those arteries are connected to the city by public transport, and the Ray steps are the longest in the city.

On the North Side, steps can be taken up to Fineview at James St., and you can walk along Henderson St. for a view of the city and go back down the steps at Carrie St. down to Compromise.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 AM

510 posts, read 905,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Although EveKendall has convinced me that Cathedral of Learning running/walking is beyond the bounds of civility.
Excellent. My work here is done.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oooh! Look what I just found!

Hiking The Steps of Pittsburgh - YouTube

I definitely want to do this on my next trip.

Here's a different video from one of the hikes I mentioned before.

It's great exercise and usually ends at The Milk Shake Factory.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:16 PM

419 posts, read 551,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
thx - great info.

Although EveKendall has convinced me that Cathedral of Learning running/walking is beyond the bounds of civility.
I ran to the top of the Cathedral plenty of times. I challenge you to beat me. Try not to be hungover the day of the race .

Old 12-22-2013, 12:20 PM

419 posts, read 551,945 times
On weekends, especially with all the Pitt students gone for break, try running up Cardiac Hill. Lothrop, Darragh, and DeSoto are pretty challenging. There is a long stretch of steps behind the Chevron Building (Pitt Engineering), which takes you up to Pennsylvania and Panther Halls, fraternity row (University Drive area). You'd want to do that when there are very few students on campus or mostly weekends.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM

268 posts, read 385,505 times
Cathedral Stairs are definitely beyond civility....but are also absolutely a kick ass workout. I start with running clothes, work my way up to hiking boots, then back pack with various amounts of weight in the backpack...every 3rd time up, I walk back down to work both sets of muscles without beating up the knee joints too badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh