Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times

Advertisements

Back when I lived in Pittsburgh, I'd start my car and let it warm up with the defrosters on both ends going full blast. I'd get my little brush/ice scraper and brush the roof off and made snowballs to wipe the headlights/rear lights clean, and do a little brushing where needed.

By the time I got back into my car the ice on the windows would be melted, and the windshield wipers would do the hard work. Didn't even take 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:27 PM

458 posts, read 657,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
This part is true for me though. Every time I think "WTF, if they don't think they need to SEE to drive now, what does that say for their driving all the time?"
I say the same thing when I see.......

People not using turning signals. This should be THE ONE most automatic, natural part of driving. And should be one of the most automatic things we do in life.

How about those who don't turn their lights on when it's long past dark?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Back when I lived in Pittsburgh, I'd start my car and let it warm up with the defrosters on both ends going full blast. I'd get my little brush/ice scraper and brush the roof off and made snowballs to wipe the headlights/rear lights clean, and do a little brushing where needed.

By the time I got back into my car the ice on the windows would be melted, and the windshield wipers would do the hard work. Didn't even take 5 minutes.
I do the same thing, in most cases, that does the trick. The only exception is the drastic cold we have had as of late. The defrosters, however, don't clear the snow off of your roof or hood.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,474,741 times
Quote:

That's basically how I do it. Making sure windows and lights were clear was one of my Dad's Rules of Winter Driving (along with "Don't push a cold engine" and "On an snowy street, safe and steady wins the race.")

Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,073,414 times
Quote:
My wife won't let me brush the snow off the roof of our new car. She's worried I'm going to scratch it.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
I say the same thing when I see.......

People not using turning signals. This should be THE ONE most automatic, natural part of driving. And should be one of the most automatic things we do in life.
Very true. But are you sure you do it every single time you should, even when nobody else is around?

Quote:
How about those who don't turn their lights on when it's long past dark?
I blame this on the spread of automatic headlight systems. Many people are now conditioned that they need do nothing in terms of working the headlights. Thus when they find themselves in situations where the car doesn't have the automatic system or the conditions (weather, etc.) are odd and do not trigger the lights to come on, these people have no instinct left that gives them the ability to turn them on manually.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Very true. But are you sure you do it every single time you should, even when nobody else is around?

I have no problem admitting I often drive over the speed limit, I often turn left on red, even if the signs say not to, I'll go around people when they are turning left, etc etc, but I guarantee you, GUARANTEE YOU, AND BET YOU...........AN ENOURMOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY.............if you put one of those things on my vehicle like Progressive uses (I believe they call it the "Eye") or some kind of camera on me, I dont miss a beat when it comes to using turning signals. And please don't say it's people just forgetting to use them. Drivers not using signals is an epidemic.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I blame this on the spread of automatic headlight systems. Many people are now conditioned that they need do nothing in terms of working the headlights. Thus when they find themselves in situations where the car doesn't have the automatic system or the conditions (weather, etc.) are odd and do not trigger the lights to come on, these people have no instinct left that gives them the ability to turn them on manually.
I have a GTI whose Xenon driving lights come on the minute I start it up, but my dash won't illuminate unless I have the actual headlights on. That's hard to miss.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Quote:
Then I guess those people (maybe you are one of them) are just as the original poster said, flat out lazy.

I'm never late to work, never have to stress about people letting me in to traffic, don't have to rush when the roads are bad like they were this morning or on Tuesday, etc.

Common sense, practicallity, and self defense. They're radical things, but work well when you incorporate them in to daily life.
I can accomplish all of those things without waking up 4 hours before I have to be at work. I can be out the door in 30 minutes flat. When I had children to get out the door, I could be out the door in less than 60 minutes. If I started at 8am, I'd wake up at 6:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
You say it's lacking self-discipline. I see it as leading a miserable life if at least 20 hours a week has to be dedicated just to preparing to go to work. That makes me shudder. Whatever works for you.
I totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My wife won't let me brush the snow off the roof of our new car. She's worried I'm going to scratch it.
It's the law to clear ALL snow from vehicles.

As for your daughter making you late, she'll just grow up with the same bad habits if you let that continue. My children only refused to get dressed once. I scooped them up and dropped them off at the sitters with their clothes in a bag. One ride in the car not dressed is all it took. Children can't run the show when you have adult responsibilities. Her little tantrum about clothing is not worth losing your job.

Your wife not waking up on time isn't your problem. Wake her up and leave. Making it your problem means you both risk losing your jobs. If you are carpooling together, it's time to admit that isn't working. You live on a bus line. Use it. It doesn't take two parents to get a child ready and delivered to daycare. Both of you being late isn't a smart financial decision. One of you needs to be designated as the stable breadwinning provider for the household. The other one handles the kid stuff in the AM.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can accomplish all of those things without waking up 4 hours before I have to be at work. I can be out the door in 30 minutes flat. When I had children to get out the door, I could be out the door in less than 60 minutes. If I started at 8am, I'd wake up at 6:30.
Either you're telling one of your TALL, overexaggerated tales, or you leave without eating, putting on make up, using the bathroom, getting dressed, or all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh