Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm thinking about moving to Ingram. I currently live in Mt. lebanon which I moved to about a year ago from the northern viriginia area. My wife and I feel like we don't fit-in in Mt. Lebanon (I guess because we both come from working poor families and can't seem to relate to the people) There are some nice people there but there are some busy-bodies that like to get into my business. One incident happened just past spring, when my lawn mower broke on me and I was waiting until I got paid again so I can buy a new one. Well in the two weeks of waiting some neighbor of mine called the city and I receive a nasty note from the city. Another time My boy and a neighbor kid got into in a argument. I found the neighbor kid's mother yelling at my kid threatning to call the cops on my 7 year kid which I thought was funny and a little sad. Believe me I punished my kid for his part but calling the cops on a 7 year old is a little insane IMO. But anyways I know there will be busy-body and crazy neighbors every where I move but how bad are they in Ingram? I walked through Ingram this past weekend and the neighborhood seems quiet and the neighbors seems nice. How is the Montour School District. It seems to be pretty good from what I have read on the internet. Anyone who lives or have lived in Ingram would like to comment I would really like to hear from you.

Before I close I would like to be fair about Mt. Lebanon. I do have some nice neighbors and the school system is top notch. They have done wonders with my boy. But Mt. Lebanon is just not my cup of tea.

Also before anyone ask about crafton. I look into crafton but their taxes is about as insane as it is in Mt. Lebanon.

Thanks

Last edited by mmgrant73; 09-04-2008 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 AM

141 posts, read 721,963 times
I live in Ingram, and couldn't be happier. Oh, there is one thing I don't like- Trick or Treating is during the DAY!

I can't vouch for the school system, as we are expecting our first this Dec, but when we bought our house I rem the ratings were good. Not Mt Lebanon good, but good enough. I personally think school is a joint effort of kid, parent, AND school. It is what you make of it.

The pricing of houses is just right around here...that's what made the decision for us. If you need specifics on anything, just msg me

Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Be careful what part of Ingram you move to. Some of it is very fine but part of it boarders on the Projects. Seriously.

What School system is Ingram? Mt Lebanon can not be topped. How old is your kid and what part of Mt Lebanon are you living in? You have a neighbor that simply has too much time on his hands. I lived in five different houses in Mt Lebanon over the coarse of 1974 through 1990. I never had any issue with any neighbor, attended Mt Lebanon Schools from Jr High through Graduation. I saw the trolley be abandon for Light Rail and watched the town grow and change over several years.

I would wonder if you just arent in the right neighborhood. Ingram is going to have busy bodies too.

Oh and I lived in Crafton for all my elementry school years. That little burgh was a nice town at one time - I can't imagine the Taxes being anything like Lebo.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 AM

125 posts, read 398,751 times
I live about 2 streets away from Ingram now and went to school in Crafton so I am familiar with the area. I think it's a great place, though I would try to stay to a part of Ingram that borders Crafton more so than Fairywood. I live (renting) in Fairywood now, and it's not too bad compared to other "bad areas," but I don't think I would buy a house here.

Ingram is a nice little community though - good luck!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 2,861 times
Hello been reading messages about Ingram iam looking for a house there for a family of 5 iam moving from Philadelphia so i no nothing of the Neighborhood just going by what my friend is telling me. Just hoping its the right move. I know at this point its gotta be better then philly

Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericac1112 View Post
Hello been reading messages about Ingram iam looking for a house there for a family of 5 iam moving from Philadelphia so i no nothing of the Neighborhood just going by what my friend is telling me. Just hoping its the right move. I know at this point its gotta be better then philly
I live in Crafton which borders Ingram. I love it here. People are friendly and the schools are good. I'm not sure if Ingram is part of the Carlynton school district or if you even have kids. Property taxes are high here, but housing prices are low. If you're renting then property taxes won't be an issue. I hear the rents are reasonable, but others can verify that for you. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:33 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
you know, that anecdote about this guy's life in mt. lebanon....makes me admire mt. lebanon! it sounded like an episode from a 1950s family television show.

the fact that the neighbor's mom had a high expectation from his kid says something positive, but im not sure what. (there is more to this, im sure - why would she threaten to call the police? )

and the fact that the municipality sends you a note (presumedly about the length of the grass) means they care about keeping up appearances.

in both cases, yes, irritating if not insulting, but its nice to know people still have a standard of living they want to uphold. i cant imagine the city of pittsburgh sending a notice to someone to clean up their property - theyd have to hire a crew of interns to produce that paperwork.

heres the flipside, from an alternate universe:

the neighbor mom slaps your kid, then her son and yours throw down on the pavement, beating the hell out of each other. neighbor mom coaches her son to get in a few good licks. someone videos it. channel 11 shows it with a "my oh my, how awful" attitude. no one is penalized for the ugly display. people enjoy the video, though.

you never bother to fix the lawn mower. your grass grown to knee high. the yard becomes a haven for rodents, cigarette butts, and the occassional condom. you pretend not to notice as you go to your car each morning. soon, you do not notice.

not picking on you, OP, just not feeling your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh