Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
It's the office, not the person. This sort of preparation would happen for any President these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Obama wasn't even on any of those planes today. It sounds like it's a standard procedure that presidential security does.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Obama wasn't even on any of those planes today. It sounds like it's a standard procedure that presidential security does.
Actually, not. The person who was responsible for the ill advised nyc flyover was Louis E. Caldera, PR director of the White House Military Office. He was an Obama appointee who served in the Clinton administration. As messed up as Bush was, I doubt his administration would have approved such a thing being that they had to deal with the aftermath of 9/11 firsthand.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Heard them also at my building. Its ok.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Because many of the office workers hearing a roaring 747 flying LOW unannounced over their office buildings personally witnessed innocents leaping to their deaths on 9/11 and some of them even knew people who perished. As for myself, anytime I hear a loud overhead roar in an urban setting it brings me right back to that day.
The price of living in the center of the universe, I guess. I don't believe policies should be changed because people are afraid. It makes for bad policy that does nothing useful, like the TSA. It saddens me to hear that people remain so frightened because it means the attack to some degree had the desired effect. I guess it's not reasonable to think everyone can get over such fears, but I do think as a country and even as a city it's well beyond time to get on with life.

I'll lay off though because one, I know I wasn't there at the time and two it has really nothing to do with Pittsburgh.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM

50 posts, read 66,290 times

Pittsburgh Under Attack1 - YouTube

Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM

461 posts, read 748,928 times
I lived in some sketchy 'hoods in Philly, and the "ghetto bird" over the house usually meant that they were searching for a criminal. The sight and sound of the 'copters this morning was unnerving; I am not a fan of big noise, nor overt shows of strength. In my case, it isn't a matter of the terrorists having won, since I've been this goofy way my whole life.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:17 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
I lived in some sketchy 'hoods in Philly, and the "ghetto bird" over the house
usually meant that they were searching for a criminal. The sight and sound of
the 'copters this morning was unnerving; I am not a fan of big noise, nor overt
shows of strength. In my case, it isn't a matter of the terrorists having won,
since I've been this goofy way my whole life.

Well, Philly has the distinction of having been bombed by its own police department' helicopter...

MOVE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 AM

480 posts, read 611,897 times
How does anyone get terrified about stuff like this?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:59 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Why does everyone in NYC have to run screaming thinking there's another 9/11? That is the bigger question if this was indeed a problem. I believe the intervening years have proven there is not terrorism around every corner. If you are terrified every time you see a plane flying low, then the terrorists have won. That is in fact the point of terrorism. The way we win is to not be terrorized, to not give up our essential liberty for temporary security (to apparently paraphrase Franklin).

/rant

Actually the 'point' of terrorism is for groups who have been marginalized or ignored to draw notice to their cause, which itself originates from being terrorized.

What you're repeating sounds like Bush era rhetoric. There might be some truth to it, but at best its an incomplete definition. It would be like suggesting that Islamic militants from Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingushetia, or any other Caucasian group that the Russians have a history of stepping on are trying to cause Russians (particularly at the Olympics) to live in a state of fear. While true its only part of why they do what they do, and non of it is without an extreme amount of provocation. Terrorism is created by terrorism.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Actually the 'point' of terrorism is for groups who have been marginalized or ignored to draw notice to their cause, which itself originates from being terrorized.
That is mostly true. I probably should not have included that sort of flip sentence, even though my key point is about our reactions in our daily lives. I don't really want to belabor it more than that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh