Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:55 AM

338 posts, read 447,243 times

Advertisements

I plan on buying my first home soon within the next year. Where do you think it would be smarter to buy. Safety, ammenities, future all being factors. The housing stocks are all different and I know the North Side houses are way more beautiful, but those will be the ones that are out of my price range anyway. Just interested to hear other peoples opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,096,322 times
Well it's a bit of a cop out but I think it depends entirely on which of those factors is most important to you and what the budget is. Because of this calculation, everybody's answer will be different.

I live in the War Streets, so you know my own personal calculation. The walkability and commute to Downtown are a real plus but obviously, it's more of a hassle to get to Oakland and points east. "Northside" is a pretty broad term, so it may depend on a block by block analysis. The Garden Theater Block will be done (eventually) and that has the potential to really kick start things in the area, but some (if not all) of that positive momentum is already priced into the real estate.

I would think that you would be able to get the most house for your money in Troy Hill. It's the most geographically isolated of the areas you've mentioned and I think its rebound or appreciation or however you want to phrase it, is the most speculative at this point. The flip side of that though is that there might be the "best buy" from a money stand point.

I know the least about upper larrytown but my only concern is that the hype may be getting ahead of the reality a bit. Reminds me a little of when I was looking at houses in the Southside 5 or 6 years ago. Thought some of the asks were a bit much and probably spent $100k less for a similar house in the War Streets. Honestly though, I wouldn't consider that a particularly informed opinion.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Without your budget, it would be difficult to say. However, you're not going to get anything immediately habitable for under $150,000 in the Lower North Side these days, unless you buy in California Kirkbride, East Deutschtown, a condo, or one of the not-very historic infill rows in Manchester.

Troy Hill can offer bang for your buck, but watching the real estate lists, not a lot comes on the market there, and much of what does is in sorry shape. There are definitely some great houses out there however, and while they're usually siding clad the average houses often maintain charm (original wood trim, stairwells, etc) that you don't see elsewhere in the city in houses of the same age.

Upper Lawrenceville currently has a lot of stuff on the market. Properties which are inhabitable, but need plenty of work are put on the market for around $65,000-$75,000. Properties which have been flipped on a base level (engineered floors, new drywall, new carpet, etc) tend to go for $100,000 to $150,000. Don't expect to find much with historic charm there, or anything of size, since these comprise like 10% of the neighborhood housing stock and seldom go on the market compared to the 800 square foot, siding-clad homes.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
I plan on buying my first home soon within the next year. Where do you think it would be smarter to buy. Safety, ammenities, future all being factors. The housing stocks are all different and I know the North Side houses are way more beautiful, but those will be the ones that are out of my price range anyway. Just interested to hear other peoples opinions. Thanks.
You'll have to give a ballpark budget and further define what you mean by "North Side."

What exactly are you looking for in a house and neighborhood?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM

Im still fairly young and don't want to rent so my budget max is around 125,000

Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 PM

And i want to go somewhere where 5 years down the row the area will be more desirable than it is right now. I would do my own work on my house and hope to make out with a nice profit when I sell it but also enjoy myself while I live there. When I say northside i mean anywhere really. I have found some houses that were under 100k but also needed work, which i am not opposed to. The house probably wont be brick in any of the locations I have given but that doesnt really bother me.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
Quote:
Im still fairly young and don't want to rent so my budget max is around 125,000
I'd say upper Lawrenceville then. Troy hill is already pretty nice. Up law will continue to get nicer and will be greatly improved in 5-10 years

Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Quote:
And i want to go somewhere where 5 years down the row the area will be more desirable than it is right now. I would do my own work on my house and hope to make out with a nice profit when I sell it but also enjoy myself while I live there. When I say northside i mean anywhere really. I have found some houses that were under 100k but also needed work, which i am not opposed to. The house probably wont be brick in any of the locations I have given but that doesnt really bother me.
Is brick a priority for you? You could probably find a brick house under $100K in Troy Hill as well as other parts of the North Side. Fineview and Brighton Heights are some other safe bets in the North Side (both crime wise and housing market wise). If you can tolerate a little more crime with potential for a higher reward when you sell, then Garfield or even Hazelwood might be worth a look.

So you've told us mostly what you want in a house and the real estate market, but what do you want from the neighborhood? Do you want off street parking? A library? Restaurants? Bus access? A grocery store? Parks? A yard?

Where do you work? Do you think you'll be working there long term enough that it should be taken into consideration when choosing the location of your house? How do you want to commute?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:31 PM

I work in RIDC in O'hara, the reason I want to be close to 28. The neighborhood is a lttle important, but i utilize every neighborhood already anyway especially for eating and I dont even live in the city. I like upper Lawrenceville because there is an intact business district ready to expand. The northside is intersting as well for the future. From what I saw of Troy Hill not much going for it in that department but so close to everything else was got my attention.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:06 PM

50 posts, read 66,314 times
Phatty - Troy Hill. Best bang for the buck. With the soon re-opening of Rialto Street (AKA Pig Hill) You'll be right on 28 (and for that matter, the bottom of Troy Hill Road as you know is a connector to 28). Also with Rialto Street opening, you'll be minutes away from the 31st bridge to travel into L'ville, and the Strip. And lest forget, bottom of Troy Hill Road again, the 16th street bridge for fast access into town. And also quick access to 279 for the North Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh